Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while you run into situations where the only solution is to go up and take trees apart from above. We have rented this lift a couple times and it is really handy. Works well with two people. This run of warmer weather in MI has been a nice chance to tackle a few of these trees. Once we were done, we moved over to some neighbors and worked on their trees as well.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Twig Branch
Sky Twig Tree Plant Trunk

· Registered
10,138 Posts
I don't like heights that much & mine's too big of a job for me. I was quoted $3000 last fall to cut & clean up, don't know when they'll get here. Dying double trunk Ash, 34" diameter each!

View attachment 883678
"A man's got to know his limitations."

· Registered
952 Posts
I had one trunk of a two trunk willow come down last fall. Both were about 35" dia. The fallen side plastered my fence and a gate
Plant Twig Wood Trunk Terrestrial plant

Son in law and I cut up the fallen one. The other side was about 65' tall, didn't appear real sturdy, and after all 50% of the tree had just come down.
This one had the potential to hit my house, the elec / phone service lines, and more of the fence.

Seemed like a good idea to have it whacked professionally, and sooner than later....
Tree Plant Pole Sky Grass

This guy took it down, chipped the smaller stuff, carted the big stuff and the other side we cut up in less than a day.

It was totally worth it

· Registered
78 Posts
Sometimes its better to just pay to have it done. When they were building my retirement house, the builder called me and said a tall pine tree was dying about 15 feet from the house and it needed to come down.
The builder said that whoever I hired to cut it down to confirm they were insured because if it hit the house the builder would not be responsible for the damage, and it could run into the thousands of dollars if it hits the house.

I explained to the tree company I hired why I needed to see a copy of their insurance policy. They totally understood. Then I called the insurance company to confirm it was valid.
When they arrived to take out the tree, they brought a bucket truck out and lowered each piece with ropes. Nothing just fell and hit the ground.

It wasn't cheap, but it was done right.

· Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trees we took down were a couple dead poplar and pines so I opted burn them. Couple pics of the pile including one with me tending the fire with a comment from my wife 😉

Wood Bedrock Logging Landscape Trunk
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle
Plant community Plant Tree Natural landscape Motor vehicle

· Registered
213 Posts
The trees we took down were a couple dead poplar and pines so I opted burn them. Couple pics of the pile including one with me tending the fire with a comment from my wife 😉

View attachment 883873
That is what's called an Alaskan wienie roast. I'm surprised you could sit that close.

Reactions: rtgt and tj1

· Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ulhpilot, that's a great name for a bonfire. Usually could not, but I had a super cold wind at my back. (y)

· Premium Member
7,527 Posts
Heights? When you can't get a lift in the right spot. only 80 feet so really nothing...
Sky Bird Natural landscape Twig Trunk

· Registered
10,138 Posts
Why does 80 looking down seem so very different than 80' looking up? I'm very comfortable looking up at someone else in the tree, not so comfortable looking down, lol.

· Premium Member
7,527 Posts
so true.. I've worked on much higher projects but you get used to the height thing after a while.. did a lot of spire work in my days.. you have to trust your equipment and your ability to tie a knot. But you are right; looking down has a total different effect on the brain than looking up.. People look like ants from those heights and you think about that fall so there's the reason heights scare people.. the fall..
Lifts tend to wobble too so That makes things even worse.. I worked on a church steeple project years ago and believe me that was the hardest project I can remember. bosons chair and ropes, scary stuff. good money but now in my mind, was it worth the job, was at the time not now thinking about it.. .. I would never do that again. not now anyway. Things change when you age with the height and mind thing... Didn't have any fear about falling.. Didn't even cross my mind, that's why I did it.. I guess.

· Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have great respect for those like you guys with the ability to work in those heights. That is a great pic by the way (y)

Reactions: tj1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts