Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm waiting on delivery of my new (used) 3520, and dealer has a nice used 72 front blade that mounts to the loader that seems pretty slick. 72" and hydraulic angle, and I do have lines run to the front for hydros so that's cool. Msrp is near $3k, and I can buy for $1500. I first thought it was a no brainer and would be nice for snow.... But then I'm thinking maybe holdout and just buy a rear blower???

A rear blower would blast the snow away and I still have the bucket on the front. Hmmmm! Decisions, decisions!

I'm in northern va, and not tons of snow. Currently have a short concrete driveway 25x60 that walk behind snowblower does fine on, but will have 300'x12 driveway to new detached garage, and also about 1000' of a private lane that homeowners all chip in on--- most have lcuts with loaders and blades. Blade is nice cause I can simply buy it now, drive facing forward, but blower is nice cause it's made for snow but I'll be driving backwards a long way.

Any insights or opinions. I could argue it either way!
Thanks'
Nch209

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you do not get a lot of snow, I would go with blade, always have loader to push back snow piles if needed (more seat time). I like driving forward, and is not the blade about half the $$ for a rear mounted blower? My .02$

Reactions: Levi and jdmich

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^

Thanks for the opinion. I'm still mixed, as both have merit. Found a local 72 or 74 inch woods snowblower with hydro chute for $1900, so ballpark same price. Have to think about this more. Light snow blade wins, deep stuff the blower is tough to beat- having both isn't an option! Spending too much$$$!!!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
A blade is better than a loader bucket for moving snow. It's not to say a loader won't, but not as well. With that being said. If you were worried about "the big one" I'd get the blower. I personally don't have any experience with them so that's probably why I'd buy it. The loader will push snow and it sounds like in most cases it'll get the job done. With the snow blower I'd make sure to check all the bearing and gear cases, but I'm sure that's standard advise for anything. The ones on c-list around here seem to sit outside and in the dirt so check the bottom and make sure it's not rotted out. Otherwise pick it up and take lots of pictures for us! :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
23,275 Posts
Unless you regularly get 3'+ snowfalls a 3320 with 72" plow is going to be all you need I think.

You didn't mention if your 3320 has a cab - running a snowblower without a cab can be horrible unless the air is dead calm. Also being twisted around looking backward all the time is not for me (been there/done that....).

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Snowblade works great for me here in Michigan. The only time I wish I had a blower was when the piles got too deep last year (although I'd just move those with the loader at this point.)

Blowers suck on smaller snowfalls

Reactions: Levi and jdmich

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I like blowers, just because you never have to worry about where to push piles up, and I don't like pushing rock into the grass.
We get allot of drifting here, so a 6 inch snowfall will mean 2 and 3 foot drifts in certain areas, and a plow gets to be a pain after a couple of those.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I have both but use the plow way more than the 3 pt blower. I bought at 7' western off Craig List cheap and made my own frame and quick attach. Blower just used when drift get real big or to widen things out but much rather use a plow.

Attachments

Reactions: Levi and BigCSS

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Depending on how heavy duty that 72" blade is, you could also use it on stuff OTHER than snow. Can't say that for the blower.

I think you'd have that blower just sitting and rusting up 99.9% of the time where you're located.

Heck - with the exception of the end of the year (when everything had REALLY piled up from the 90" or so we rec'd over the year) my little lawn tractor with a 38" blade did just fine.

Other than "the storm of the century" I can't see a 3 series with a 6' front blade not being sufficient, especially mounted to the loader (able to push up and over piles). Less stuff to fail on a blade vs loader too....

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I would probably go with the blade as well because it's a good deal, on a bigger tractor, and you already have it plumbed for angle.
And you're in va.
If you feel you need to have a blower than save up and get one later.

Reactions: Levi

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Driving 1000+ feet twisted around backwards in reverse with snow blowing up in my face? Nah. Not for me!

Reactions: Levi and coaltrain

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I still see it a tough call, but the blade may be slightly better for a few reasons--- 1. Cost seems fair that if I don't like it I should be able to sell and not take a beating (think I'd be stuck with the blower). 2. Going forward instead of backwards is appealing. But.... I am a bit nervous as to how much bad stress these cause the loader to endure, poor steering soooooooo That said, I am going to call on the local woods blower and make a lowball offer, which I expect to get declined. But if they happen to want to sell on the cheap, I may give it a crack. If they stay firm, then the blade is meant to be. After either is purchased I'll be itching for a snow storm!!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Hello from the ridiculously cold and snowy belt.....

Blade first, blower after.....

When I head out to clean up 2' of mother nature's mess, 90% of the work is the blade, and then 10% of it is to blow it across the fenceline.

My only comment is that a 72" blade, when angled, is more like 60". I had a 84" front blade on my 4720.

As for the comment earlier that your 72" blade is good for anything but snow - NOOOOOOO!!!! You engage some dirt (unless it's freshly dumped screened loam) with that and kiss your loader frame goodbye....

-J.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm also in N. Va, and agree with others to go with the blade. I've thought about augmenting my setup with a rear blower, for those once in several winters where it would be nice to blow the snow back when it gets pilled up pretty high from plowing. But never have. Just can not justify the cost for how little it would likely be used.

I have a JD blade on the front of my 4210, and have yet to have a snow fall that I wasn't able to push my way through. (I've probably jinxed myself now.)

Good luck in your decision. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for tips.

Any worries about damaging the loader arms/frame with these on a 300x loader? I don't want to do more damage than its worth. Snow only for this blade, no dirt. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Thanks for tips.

Any worries about damaging the loader arms/frame with these on a 300x loader? I don't want to do more damage than its worth. Snow only for this blade, no dirt. Thanks!
If you're cautious, and only do snow, you'll be fine. The blade should have springs to allow it to flex down if you hit something hard, and hopefully also a hydraulic release valve to allow it to pivot - again, should you find an immovable object.

I used a blower, a lot, since 2010 on my 4720 with no cab. It sucks, no question, but as long as you have control of the chute you can aim the snow with the wind so it doesn't become a squall that then freezes to your cheeks. Ski goggles help too.....

I don't think I could be without a blower in SK, most winters. The piles I've made in 2013 and 2014 would've have been manageable without being able to blow them away - far, far away. Now, if you're somewhere where the volumes are less, then spend the 2-4000$ on something else - like a grapple!!!

-J.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Rear blower and loader for me. I do have about 1000 ft to clear plus turning areas and up to my cistern etc. No cab and yes it gets nasty some times but with hydraulic chute not that big of a deal if you dress properly for the job.

Reactions: OldmanX and Oberhaz

·
Registered
126 Posts
never have enough implements......I have loader bucket for front and blower on the back. Takes 12" of snow before I can have fun with blower. Bought blower in 1996......have used maybe 12 times . Live just across the Potomac river from you.......

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
Well with all that's been said you got some good advice. That being said, if you live in Canada where they get LOTS of snow, get a blower. Living in northern Va., just how much snow do you get? Your money but we can spend it for you. Me, if the decision was that hard I'd get both and a cab. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: coaltrain
1 - 20 of 48 Posts