Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner dropped a log on the hood and left the normal dent. I see so many dented hoods make me wonder if it is OEM from JD :lol:

So after fixin the hood I thought I would fab up a spill guard to hopefully protect the hood. Even tho I am aware of how easy it it to drop stuff onto the hood, old guys like me get random brain farts. Crap happens.

They have a big wheel loader at the recycling center so eyeballed it a couple of times and I was off .....

We all like pics, so here you go...

First I had some brackets laser cut out of 3/16" steel. They are about 11" long.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Then ordered 3/16" wall pipe- 1-1/2" dia, some 1/2" angle iron, and some 9ga expanded flattened sheet.

Welded the brackets onto the bucket and pipe onto the brackets

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then the expanded sheet welded on with the angle iron to reinforce and make the top edge safe. Pretty sharp stuff this expanded sheet.

You can see the additional protection it provides...

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Total weight is around 18lbs. I have the 4 foot bucket so simply ordered 4 foot lengths of material.

Threw some self etching primer on it... planning on painting the bucket anyways!

Really doesn't affect the visibility.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then repainted the entire bucket...

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So here it is at full lift with full roll back. Hope it keeps those pesky logs off the hood...

Little hard to see with all the green :greentractorride:

It is really solid. Thought I would need 1/4" stuff but 3/16" plenty. The pipe makes it really sturdy and the expanded sheet helps to keep the brackets from racking left or right. Looks adequate for a compact tractor. Not planning on pushing trees over with it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
It's guys like you that keep me and other members busy modding our tractors to make them what we need them to be !!! Very nice work and if it's ok with you , I might need to borrow your idea !!! :cheers:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Bulitt, Does the new bar extend past the bucket cutting edge?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ken, are you following this thread? You could just make one that bolts on underneath our hooks. I mean us guys who aren't real good at manufacturing our own. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Nice job, looks great and good idea:bigthumb:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Bulitt, Does the new bar extend past the bucket cutting edge?
No it does not. I put a level on the cutting edge but I didn't measure it.
So I can still get against a structure and tip the bucket to pull material away.

Here I skewed the pic to get the bottom of the bucket vertical in the pic. Then overlayed a rectangle so you can see it's not really close.
But I will take a measurement tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Very nice work. I always like seeing things that are done so well and wonder if 30 years from now somebody will be standing at the dealer trying to order a replacement because it looks like original equipment.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's guys like you that keep me and other members busy modding our tractors to make them what we need them to be !!! Very nice work and if it's ok with you , I might need to borrow your idea !!! :cheers:
Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Nice job very impressed with it. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts