Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious today about what volume of material the 49" bucket on my loader could hold. I didn't find anything on the JD website. Does anyone know if that spec is published anywhere?

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
One would think JD would publish a "struck" and "heaped" spec. As I recall, my ~60" buck is 9 cubic feet struck.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kenny! I'll remember to check the tech libary next time before I ask anymore dumb questions. For now I'll just mark it as another newbie mistake.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Thanks Kenny! I'll remember to check the tech libary next time before I ask anymore dumb questions. For now I'll just mark it as another newbie mistake.
Not a dumb question or a mistake, Never be shy about asking anything:good2:

Reactions: bama1025r

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Yup, as Kenny said, no silly questions here at DT. In fact, I am certain you helped others wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Loader Bucket side extensions?

I thought I saw, somewhere, side extensions for a loader bucket to allow more volume in the bucket for landscape mulch and other lighter items. Am I dreaming this up or did I possibly see a different style bucket and thought it was an extension? I've tried to find them, bolt on that is and have had less than zero luck:banghead:. I suspect it may be a liability issue as well so I'll accept that in an answer quickly. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,055 Posts
I thought I saw, somewhere, side extensions for a loader bucket to allow more volume in the bucket for landscape mulch and other lighter items. Am I dreaming this up or did I possibly see a different style bucket and thought it was an extension? I've tried to find them, bolt on that is and have had less than zero luck:banghead:. I suspect it may be a liability issue as well so I'll accept that in an answer quickly. Thanks.
I recall seeing where someone made their own but I don't think I've ever seen anything commercially available. Please post if you find something.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
I recall seeing where someone made their own but I don't think I've ever seen anything commercially available. Please post if you find something.
Same here, I don't recall seeing that either. You'd have to extend the bottom too, although some tooth bars add up to 6" of so but they are not solid across the bottom.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bucket expansion

I intend to add a tooth bar unit for some excavation work this summer but for mulch I was thinking of trying to add side extensions to haul more in each load with the consideration that mulch won't strain the load maximum like soil or stone would. Well looks like I'll have to come up with something on my own, or not. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
I intend to add a tooth bar unit for some excavation work this summer but for mulch I was thinking of trying to add side extensions to haul more in each load with the consideration that mulch won't strain the load maximum like soil or stone would. Well looks like I'll have to come up with something on my own, or not. Thanks guys.
Here is a thought for what it's worth.

Since the bucket extension material is going to be for the sides and "top" of the bucket to contain "mulch", how about making them out of Lexan?

I bought some on Amazon for a project and it wasn't terribly expensive. The sheet I bought was 24" wide, 48" tall and 1/8th of an inch thick. I bought two of these and the cost was $35.99 per sheet, including shipping.

I was going to add "wings" to my snow plow for my 1 series, to help contain the snow when pushing volumes and it was coming over the ends of the blade. But I didn't end up taking that approach and I ended up using my larger 7'3" wide snow plow with some adjustments.

The Lexan would allow you to see the material, it's very tough, very light weight and easily cut and shaped. You can even curve it if you have the right tools and patience. Plus, it wouldn't be obstructing your view when filling and dumping the loader........

Here is the place where I bought the Lexan.......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWTDV7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Granted, the size I bought likely wouldn't be the best for your project, I just wanted to get you to the source. Also, note they have a variety of thicknesses and the stuff I bought was 1/8th inch thick and it's some tough stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Lexan (polycarbonate) is tough stuff and can be had from any good plastics supply house. However; if I wanted something to save weight; I'd go with aluminum instead, or something consisting of expanded metal for visibility and added carrying capacity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks

Gentlemen, you have provided two great ideas that I had not thought of at this time.

With the Lexan, that can be drilled so would you expect to bolt that to the bucket sides as I envision at this point or would yoiu consider a more flexible, temporary way to affix it to the bucket?

The Aluminum and or expanded metal idea, same thought. My first consideration would be to manufacture the shape I want and then increase the size of the product near double to affix to the bucket and provide increased stability for strength.

Is this the way either of you would think it should be done? Looking for guidance and affirmation or redirection.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I would bolt it to the bucket sides.

You could always get a scrap of plywood, cut it to the desired shape, drill a couple of holes in it and C-clamp it to the bucket sides to see if it works as you expect. If it does, proceed to your desired material of choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts