Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't normally look under my Loader Bucket but taking pictures of the winch cable hook up to it I see a lot of wear on the bottom! It is also wearing on the bottom edge where the ends are welded on right at the corner angle. So I think in the real near future the next project will be to beef up the bottom of the bucket with some wear strips tack welded onto it that can be replace when wore down by grinding out the small skip welds. I did add a 2nd cutting edge welded above the original one that is also welded to the bucket not bolted on. This gave the lip a whole bunch more strength and I did this cause I was seeing a bend starting just a little bend but did not want it to really get bent. The 2nd cutting edge took it out but there is still about 1/4" of sage in it. What I don't want to happen is have the edges of the bucket to wear thru the welds and open up! Not a hard job to fit now just some 3/8" x 4" Strips added to the bottom to take the rock gouges and wear. You can see the damage in these pictures of the bucket bottom. 100_2672.JPG 100_2673.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I bought a cutting edge for a snowplow for the bucket on my 6415. My idea/hope is that is harder/tougher/better steel than CRS and will last longer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Still paint on the bottom, as far as I’m concerned it’s still new! I’ve had little use with my loader bucket but I do find I have it curled back with the cutting edge elevated so that it does scrape the bottom of the bucket at times. A couple wear strips tacked on will help out. I think it takes an awful long time to wear through a bucket

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
Mine takes some abuse in the same spot when I'm working with my toothbar on, I back drag with that rear bottom of the bucket, guess I'll have to look at mine. Wear strips could certainly help there.

Reactions: JD4044M and pcabe5

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took another look at my Bucket Bottom. It seems the most wear is on the curved back section and not real bad yet but the edges has a lip to take wear first before it gets to the weld. So I just may add some steel next to this weld on the sides and something to beef up the curve near the rear. These are not made out of thick steel and I do not use my bucket much compared to my rear blade and I only have 310 hrs on the tractor. These are some close ups I just took. There are a couple strips on the bottom the factory put on so 2 more on the ends might help and something across the bucket on the back? 100_2692.JPG 100_2694.JPG 100_2695.JPG It still would take a while to wear thru the bucket but the corners of the cutting edge are starting to wear away.

Looked on line about bucket wear seems the back get the most wear by some of the pictures I am looking at. Sure don't want mine to get like this before I do something to stop it. Bucket left Side.jpg

Maybe another cutting edge welded across the back would do the trick under the bucket? There made out of harden steel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts