Green Tractor Talk banner

Loader control valve

12K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  rigsbybm 
#1 ·
I replaced my leaky old 145 loader control valve with a joystick. I had to fabricate a bracket to change mounting to vertical. It also got the lever a bit closer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! Is that a 20 or 30 series tractor?

Reactions: Herminator
#7 ·
Would you be willing to post the part number of the new joystick? I need to replace the valve in my 146 loader and am thinking about going to the joystick also.
This is the valve I used, it was $100 cheaper that the 2 handle valve.

https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/Chief-Directional-Control-Valves-ED-Series-4w-3p-4w-4p-Tandem-Center-Max-GPM-10

One problem is that, in order for float to work, and mounted with the hoses pointing forward, it works backwards. Moving stick forward raises loader, back lowers and float. Curl and dump can be which ever way you hook them up. It's not really a problem for me but, for someone who uses hydraulics a lot or has another tractor with a loader it would be annoying.
I did install the closed center plug.

#8 ·
This is the valve I used, it was $100 cheaper that the 2 handle valve.

https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/Ch...D-Series-4w-3p-4w-4p-Tandem-Center-Max-GPM-10

One problem is that, in order for float to work, and mounted with the hoses pointing forward, it works backwards. Moving stick forward raises loader, back lowers and float. Curl and dump can be which ever way you hook them up. It's not really a problem for me but, for someone who uses hydraulics a lot or has another tractor with a loader it would be annoying.
I did install the closed center plug.
I would redo the mount so I could turn the loader valve around. Cut the rear plate off. Shorten what it came off. Weld it back on and turn the valve and bolt it back on.
I have two tractors with loaders and would want both to operate the same.

#10 ·
I did the same to my JD 2640. I also installed a quick attach for the loader and a third function valve so I could add a grapple. I had no problem with the position of the joystick operating correctly. I used a closed circuit plug on the joystick and connected the third function valve in the pressure and return lines to the tractor. Here are a few pics.

#14 ·
Did you read the thread? The link to the source for the valve is right there in post #7.

Reactions: Tx Jim