Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at adding a loader to my JD 445. The original 40 loader is hard to find so looking at aftermarket by Little Buck Loader. I was concerned about the extra strain added to the transmission and found the following instructions elsewhere on this forum:

MPORTANT: The 40 loader is shipped complete
with a hydrostatic pressure relief valve which
must be installed in place of the tractor
transaxle forward control valve. The relief valve
limits the peak hydrostatic pressures in the
transaxle. This protects the transaxle from
unnecessary stress for longer life. Operation of
a front end loader on a tractor without the
transaxle hydrostatic pressure relief valve will
void the tractor warranty. If a 40 loader is taken
off one tractor and used on another, or another
brand of loader is used, it is important that the
loader tractor be equipped with the transaxle
relief valve.

So, the original 40 loader needs a pressure relief valve per the manufacturer. On the Little Buck Loader site, they state:
Do I need to know anything specific if I’m ordering for JD X models?
Yes, two things: 1) We recommend replacing the pressure relief valve if you tend to drive your tractor hard. If the wheels are not spinning and the engine is wide open, fully engaged in forward, the transmission can be damaged. If you are careful, you will not need the valve.
I asked about the 4x5 series and got the following answer:
We have never heard of a JD 445 owner replacing the relief valve. It is an interesting question since the 445 trans is the predecessor of the x7 series. Since the bulletin never came out for the 445, we assume that it is not necessary.
So, I am at a loss. I would find a 40 relief valve and install it regardless of the loader I purchased and not worry about it. However, those seem hard to find too!

Anyone with a loader and their stock relief valve? Any problems? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
AM121248 is the Part You need But it has Been superseded BY this Part Number MIA884863 which is almost $300 More then AM121248 also need to order M146148 free-wheeling valve control lever
Product Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Nut

It's the same Price at Both Green Parts & Green Farm Parts(y)

Reactions: cpy911

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
See post 45 in this thread in this forum Finally got a 40 Loader, but it's a process I think You Might be able to order a Newer Valve But Part Number That was Originally for a X400 series I think it will work on your 445 with Loader BW15043 Because BW15043 was superseded by the Older AM121248 later In the X700 series and since it superseded BW15043 and MIA884863 Supersedes AM121248 you should be able to use BW15043 In your 445 John Deere Transaxle Hydrostatic Relief Valve - BW15043 so away to save some Money on the Valve (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting and kind of mind boggling. So BW15043 should thread right in and help reduce peak pressures? I figure it would not INCREASE peak pressures from the stock one!

See post 45 in this thread in this forum Finally got a 40 Loader, but it's a process I think You Might be able to order a Newer Valve But Part Number That was Originally for a X400 series I think it will work on your 445 with Loader BW15043 Because BW15043 was superseded by the Older AM121248 later In the X700 series and since it superseded BW15043 and MIA884863 Supersedes AM121248 you should be able to use BW15043 In your 445 John Deere Transaxle Hydrostatic Relief Valve - BW15043 so away to save some Money on the Valve (y)

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Interesting and kind of mind boggling. So BW15043 should thread right in and help reduce peak pressures? I figure it would not INCREASE peak pressures from the stock one!
For some reason using a Loader You need a new Valve the that stock valve is not strong enough to protect the Transmission from Pressure peaks associated with loader work. I have seen a split Case On a X728 sometime In the mid 2000's In someone that failed to Replace the Valve when using a Loader. Deere did not pay for the new case the owner had to pay while tractor was under warranty They Voided that Portion of the warranty for that Instance. after it was replaced & correct Valve put In warranty was restored for transmission. Have also seen a split Case On a X575 do to over shimming. My Younger Brother is a service Manager for a Deere dealer so it does Happen Besides engine the Transmission is the Most expensive Part of the Tractor About $4,000 Plus for a new Transmission Not something I would want to pay for (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am looking at adding a loader to my JD 445. The original 40 loader is hard to find so looking at aftermarket by Little Buck Loader. I was concerned about the extra strain added to the transmission and found the following instructions elsewhere on this forum:

MPORTANT: The 40 loader is shipped complete
with a hydrostatic pressure relief valve which
must be installed in place of the tractor
transaxle forward control valve. The relief valve
limits the peak hydrostatic pressures in the
transaxle. This protects the transaxle from
unnecessary stress for longer life. Operation of
a front end loader on a tractor without the
transaxle hydrostatic pressure relief valve will
void the tractor warranty. If a 40 loader is taken
off one tractor and used on another, or another
brand of loader is used, it is important that the
loader tractor be equipped with the transaxle
relief valve.

So, the original 40 loader needs a pressure relief valve per the manufacturer. On the Little Buck Loader site, they state:

I asked about the 4x5 series and got the following answer:

So, I am at a loss. I would find a 40 relief valve and install it regardless of the loader I purchased and not worry about it. However, those seem hard to find too!

Anyone with a loader and their stock relief valve? Any problems? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
I have the LBL on a 425, but did not replace the valve (because I didn't know better). So far, no issues. But, suppose that you don't actually need the valve, is there any downside to replacing it anyway (besides cost)? I'm think that I might do it, just as a precaution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the LBL on a 425, but did not replace the valve (because I didn't know better). So far, no issues. But, suppose that you don't actually need the valve, is there any downside to replacing it anyway (besides cost)? I'm think that I might do it, just as a precaution.
Question: Since my 425 does have this valve, does that also imply that it already has the proper pressure relief valve?

Output device Font Rectangle Automotive exterior Parallel

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
You must replace the valve or eventually you’ll be changing the differential gear.

When ballasted for a loader you get enough traction that the transmission can rip itself apart.

Edit: the value pictured is a mower lockout. It’s needed for any front attachment.

Reactions: Sergeant

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I got the little buck loader, I went ahead and put the BW15043 valve in. I have 200# of ballast hanging off the back. The install was pretty straightforward. I also installed special free wheeling lever that works with the taller valve. Have been using the loader without a problem. Glad I did it...forgot I installed it as it just works and hopefully reduces chance of damaging transmission.
Plant Tree Mesh Wire fencing Fence

Green Hood Table Outdoor furniture Rectangle

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I got the little buck loader, I went ahead and put the BW15043 valve in. I have 200# of ballast hanging off the back. The install was pretty straightforward. I also installed special free wheeling lever that works with the taller valve. Have been using the loader without a problem. Glad I did it...forgot I installed it as it just works and hopefully reduces chance of damaging transmission.
Did you shim the valve at all, to increase the pressure? If not, have you have any problems with heavy loads?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The valve you shim to increase pressure is not the one being discussed currently.
The Valve I installed is to help relieve pressure in case working the loader raises pressures too much...like on pavement and no opportunity for wheels to slip to prevent pressure from spiking.

I have not found the need to shim relief valve. The little buck loader has enough lift capacity for me. It is the ballast that is the limiting factor even with wheel weights and five suit case weights on the back.

I am amazed what a mini loader can do on a lawn mower (aka garden tractor).

I have been saving up to buy a proper tractor, but so far my JD 445 "lawnmower" seems to be doing the job.

Plant Plant community Hood Leaf Motor vehicle

·
Registered
41 Posts
Correct on Post #14. That is the valve to shim if desired to raise the hydraulic port operating pressure.

Reactions: razorfish

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, I finally had a chance to look at the existing valve (it the original, non-loader, valve). I ordered a BW15043, but when it arrived I could not get it installed. I didn't put a lot of force of it, for fear of damaging something, but it doesn't seem like it will fit. Even the O-ring (near the tip) is in a different position vs. the original valve. Has anyone actually installed the BW15043 in a 425/445/455?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I finally had a chance to look at the existing valve (it the original, non-loader, valve). I ordered a BW15043, but when it arrived I could not get it installed. I didn't put a lot of force of it, for fear of damaging something, but it doesn't seem like it will fit. Even the O-ring (near the tip) is in a different position vs. the original valve. Has anyone actually installed the BW15043 in a 425/445/455?

Thanks!
Same thing happened to me. Thought I had the wrong one, could not thread it. I just gave it a little more push and it engaged and seated nicely. I have ran with it for about 5 hours, no problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Thought I had the wrong one, could not thread it. I just gave it a little more push and it engaged and seated nicely. I have ran with it for about 5 hours, no problems.
Thank you! I will try again this weekend. I've had the back on/off three times now. I'm almost an expert at plugging the seat sensor back in :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts