Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2022 1025r
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting my 1025r journey (research), and looking for a good loader mounted snow plow with hydraulic angle capability. I'll be plowing on concrete and asphalt for my house with a 4 car garage and a large circle drive. It appears that these (as well as many other items) have really gone up in price. I did find some good info in this thread.

The research that I've done so has brought four options to the forefront.

1. John Deere AF10F. ~220 lbs. $2600 from my dealer. Probably the safe option, but seems a bit light, and overpriced compared to some of the other options. Options are pricey!
Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tractor

2. CTA. ~460 lbs per their site. $2000. Much heavier option. I don't see springs or anything that would indicate trip edge protection. @Drifterbike
Tool Toy Handle Machine Lego

3. Tar River - ~350 or 564 lbs?. $2500. Only information I can find is on GWT. I don't see this listed on the Tar River site. Built like a tank. Maybe too heavy? I haven't seen any info on this outside of GWT. Any members here have one?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grass Automotive exterior Asphalt

4. Artillian SPA-60HYD 60” - ~209 lbs. $1700. Appears to require their bracket system. Plow doesn't look as easy to remove/install to the bracket as the JD connect system. I'll probably end up with their forks, so I'll eventually have the bracket anyway. I thought Tim was going to do a video on this, but I couldn't find it on YouTube. I did find one of him plowing snow with it using the (broken) PVC pipe edge. @Tractor Tim
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

As an engineer, I usually to spend to much time doing research/analysis on these types of purchases, so I'm probably overthinking this, but buy once, cry once.

Looking for any opinions/recommendations.

Thank,
Aaron

ETA: No hurry on this as my local dealer says he probably can't get a tractor until mid-January. I'll stick with my snow service until I have a tractor & plow.

ETA2: Adding picture of the area to be plowed.
Sky Plant Building Tree House

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have the AF10F and I like it. I imagine any of the four would be fine but you might find that availability is a big factor in the current supply chain situation.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Also, check out this thread:

Edit: looks like you can delete the Tar River from your list. GWT site says Tar River is having issues delivering product. Best case is he’ll get some in November but there’s no guarantees.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Arron445.....& this engineer (mechanical, not abstract thinking enough to be an EE....lol) has used snowblowers for 30 years or more now....after pushing the white stuff for wwwaaayyy too long prior to that....if you have a 300' driveway....you better have another 300' in the early fall to push it to & then, in the spring, it's always the last to go....ymmv, of course.....the truck heater & radio are niceities...changing universals in a blizzard, not so much....there is NO comparison between these 'lil tractors pushed snow & what you can do with an appropriate for the job truck....the tractor lacks that all important weight.....now, a front mounted sb'er on that truck....now yer thinkin!....

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,785 Posts
A few questions to help understand why you are interested in the FEL mounted plow system...

Is it to avoid having to remove the FEL system to clearing snow?

Is it to be able to stack snow, verses being constrained by the actual blade lifting height of the Quik Tach Mount?

Are you planning on adding a diverter to maintain full FEL function of lift and curl as well as the angling of the plow cylinders?

If your driveway flat or does it have rises and falls or an actual grade change?

Which part of the driveway is asphalt (most of the driveway)?

Which part is concrete (parking pad in front of garage)?

Have you plowed snow before and if so, with what, your 445 pictured in the picture on your profile? What's the biggest challenge with plowing snow with the equipment you have?

Do you have the 1025r on order or already in your possession or do you plan on getting the tractor and plow between now and winter?

Where are you located (general area) and how much total snow fall do you get each year according to your weather service records?

What exactly are you planning to use for rear ballast and how much weight do you anticipate needing?

Answers to these will help us give you better input to make your decisions.....Thanks........

·
Registered
361 Posts
Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
155 Posts
An alternative with the artillian fork frame is the adapter to use the JD quick hitch plow. Obviously requires the quick hitch but opens up options for snow blower or broom or using the plow frame mounted.

I have this set up and the flexibility can be nice depending on the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
A few questions to help understand why you are interested in the FEL mounted plow system...
I highly recommend the OP go through @SulleyBear's "few" questions. I know where he's going with all of them and your answers will properly help you decide what to get. The right answer might actually none of the options.

·
Registered
2019 1025R + 120 FEL, RC2048 Rotary Cutter, AP10F Pallet Forks, 60D AutoConnect MMM
98 Posts
I've looked into the Tar River quite extensively. They're VERY hard to find. I talked to GWT a few months back - I'm not sure he's received his shipment yet. (FYI - He is super friendly and very quick to respond to emails!)

I found a few local dealers near me (Upstate NY) on the Tar River website. One dealer didn't have any (he only orders when asked) and the other had 2 on order, 1 already spoken for and the other was up for grabs. He ordered it with the rubber cutting edge and I wanted the steel edge.

I moved snow last year with the FEL. It's definitely doable, but it takes FOREVER! I have a 500' driveway to the house and a 300' to the barn. With a big snow storm, I could spend 4+ hours moving snow.

Good luck with your snowy adventures! Keep us posted as to what direction you end up going

·
Registered
2018 1025R with FEL and BH/ Tesla M3
129 Posts
This will be my first winter with my 1025R and I plan to use the bucket for snow and leave the backhoe on for ballast and see how it goes. I am hoping I don't need anything else. Average snow per event 4-6" but we can get a foot or two here and there. Usually the piles melt in a few weeks.

I have two properties 1/4 mile apart, one concrete driveway with a slope on one end and at my office I have asphalt.

As much as I would like to get a blower or something I do not want to store it 9 months out of the year. I want to use what I have and see if that works first.

·
Registered
2022 1025r
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Is it to avoid having to remove the FEL system to clearing snow?

Is it to be able to stack snow, verses being constrained by the actual blade lifting height of the Quik Tach Mount?

Are you planning on adding a diverter to maintain full FEL function of lift and curl as well as the angling of the plow cylinders?

If your driveway flat or does it have rises and falls or an actual grade change?

Which part of the driveway is asphalt (most of the driveway)?

Which part is concrete (parking pad in front of garage)?

Have you plowed snow before and if so, with what, your 445 pictured in the picture on your profile? What's the biggest challenge with plowing snow with the equipment you have?

Do you have the 1025r on order or already in your possession or do you plan on getting the tractor and plow between now and winter?

Where are you located (general area) and how much total snow fall do you get each year according to your weather service records?

What exactly are you planning to use for rear ballast and how much weight do you anticipate needing?

Answers to these will help us give you better input to make your decisions.....Thanks........
Hi SulleyBear, thanks for the response!

I believe the FEL system gets me a couple of things. First it should be easier on, off, and move, than the frame mounted quick tach system I'm used to on the 445. I found the quick tach and blade a bit unwieldy to muscle around, and as I get older would like something less physically demanding. It should also allow me to make larger piles. I do understand some of the limitations in the FEL system in that I can't easily use the float to plow, and will have to more carefully adjust rear ballast.

I've added a picture to the OP of my current house/driveway. Concrete in front of the garage. The circle drive is asphalt.

I don't currently have a tractor. I sold the 445 when we moved four years ago, and have been using a service. The biggest issue I had with the 445 system was large (10"+) snow. Cars were getting stuck in the street. It still got the job done, but it definitely took longer. Pretty rare to have that here. Otherwise, I loved playing in the snow!
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Snow

I've got another thread going on the 1025r. I plan to order, but dealer says he doesn't expect to be able to get anything before mid-January. I'll continue to use my snow (and lawn) service until I get a tractor set up for snow. It might not be until next season, and that's ok. Part of the decision point here is whether or not to order the JD plow with the tractor. I do plan to order 3rd function for hydraulic plow angling or future grapple.

Planned ballast is a box and weight combination similar to what one of the other members has done here (covered in linked 1025r thread).

I'm in Northern IL, in the greater Rockford area. Snow varies here from mild winters to what you see above. Tends to be more 2-3" snowfalls than 6-8+.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
This will be my first winter with my 1025R and I plan to use the bucket for snow and leave the backhoe on for ballast and see how it goes. I am hoping I don't need anything else. Average snow per event 4-6" but we can get a foot or two here and there. Usually the piles melt in a few weeks.

I have two properties 1/4 mile apart, one concrete driveway with a slope on one end and at my office I have asphalt.

As much as I would like to get a blower or something I do not want to store it 9 months out of the year. I want to use what I have and see if that works first.
TLDR: Look in to Edge Tamers for your bucket if you haven't already..

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts

I use my bh for balast and have never had a issue. I plow 2 drives sometimes 3. I used the fel for a couple of years until I built a fel plow. Depending on the snow, wet n heavy or dry n light. I decide which one I will use. I almost always start with the plow coming out of the garage. If I need to I can easiy put the bucket on. I keep it on a couple of pallets so it doesn't get snow on the pins or stuck to the back where the loader arms connect.

I put the bucket on for my neighbors drive. It never fails it gets packed down and is steep coming off the main road. Turns to ice and the plows won't touch it. I can usually get it down to bare asphalt with some effort. Hes a great guy.
Good luck!

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I'm starting my 1025r journey (research), and looking for a good loader mounted snow plow with hydraulic angle capability. I'll be plowing on concrete and asphalt for my house with a 4 car garage and a large circle drive. It appears that these (as well as many other items) have really gone up in price. I did find some good info in this thread.

The research that I've done so has brought four options to the forefront.

1. John Deere AF10F. ~220 lbs. $2600 from my dealer. Probably the safe option, but seems a bit light, and overpriced compared to some of the other options. Options are pricey!
View attachment 810741

2. CTA. ~460 lbs per their site. $2000. Much heavier option. I don't see springs or anything that would indicate trip edge protection. @Drifterbike
View attachment 810742

3. Tar River - ~350 or 564 lbs?. $2500. Only information I can find is on GWT. I don't see this listed on the Tar River site. Built like a tank. Maybe too heavy? I haven't seen any info on this outside of GWT. Any members here have one?

View attachment 810743

4. Artillian SPA-60HYD 60” - ~209 lbs. $1700. Appears to require their bracket system. Plow doesn't look as easy to remove/install to the bracket as the JD connect system. I'll probably end up with their forks, so I'll eventually have the bracket anyway. I thought Tim was going to do a video on this, but I couldn't find it on YouTube. I did find one of him plowing snow with it using the (broken) PVC pipe edge. @Tractor Tim
View attachment 810744

As an engineer, I usually to spend to much time doing research/analysis on these types of purchases, so I'm probably overthinking this, but buy once, cry once.

Looking for any opinions/recommendations.

Thank,
Aaron

ETA: No hurry on this as my local dealer says he probably can't get a tractor until mid-January. I'll stick with my snow service until I have a tractor & plow.

ETA2: Adding picture of the area to be plowed.
View attachment 810794
For that kinda of money , I’ll stick with my front mount snowblower. It’s proven it can move any type of snow we get. 4” to 4l’, wet or dry. I do have a plow on an old atv that I some times use for light snow falls.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,785 Posts
I must start by saying my preference is still for the Quick Tach mounting system for a number of reasons. I have created a list of the ideal characteristics of a FEL mounted plow assembly, which I will post separately in this thread. In the meantime, Here is a summary of the benefits and disadvantages of using the direct mounting, John Deere Quick Tach style plow mounting system on the 1 series tractor;

Advantages of Quik Tach Mounting System -
1. Keeps the plow blade close to the tractor, which makes operation much easier.
2. Maintains machine balance with less rear ballast required.
3. Has down pressure, to facilitate back dragging and scraping as needed, but permits one to plow with or without using the plow float function.
4. Easy to transition from blade to blower and back if needed to handle snow depths.
5. Doesn't require a diverter valve to operate.
6. Produces very good results
7. Parts are generally widely available and aren't exclusive to Deere for many of the "wear" items.
8. Significantly less weight than the FEL mounted options.
9. Blade width options are available to have anywhere from a 54" blade to one 72" or even more by simply bolting on width extenders. If one has some creativity and welding and fabrication skills a plow 87" wide on the front Quik Tach mount can become a reality. ..........

Disadvantages of the Quik Tach System -
1. Limited ground clearance under the blade when raised which limits snow "stacking".
2. Requires removal of the FEL attachment to mount.
3. Limited to Deere mounting style plow blades, but there are numerous choices and widths available.
4. Involves many pieces in the intital purchase and its largely machine model specific

There are several issues with using these SCUTS for snow clearing and different people have different needs. In many ways, the SCUT is the ideal machine for snow clearing residential driveways IF it's properly equipped AND used correctly. Most residential driveways are narrow, winding and have numerous obstacles which must be navigated. Where a pick up works well for some snow plowing, it is abysmal in most space constrained and technical plowing areas like residential driveways.

The challenge with snow clearing is unlike cutting the grass. When you are cutting grass, you can determine the cut height and also wait until the lawn dries out before cutting the grass, to avoid making a mess. In snow clearing, there are vast variables which alter the process and they are all completely outside of the operators control. You always want to clear snow before its driven on. And, you may need to clear the snow for egress, so its importance and priority can be paramount. For example;

1. Snow Density. - The closer the temps are to freezing, the heavier the snow, the poorer the traction conditions.

2. Snow Depth - Combined with number 1, this can make snow clearing conditions either nearly intolerable or actually enjoyable.

3. Pavement Type and Condition - Concrete provides vastly superior traction than asphalt and the newer the asphalt and better maintained the asphalt, the poorer the snow clearing traction conditions. It's the only time you are rewarded for poor asphalt maintenance, is when you are trying to clear snow and need improved traction. But improved traction is a huge price to pay for the deterioration of asphalt by not sealing it and not repairing the surface damage. Pavement type, condition and the drives slope / grade / general terrain should be some of the biggest considerations in equipment selection, but most don't approach their equipment selection in this manner.

4. Operator skill and experience. - This makes a huge difference in the ability to use the equipment to produce satisfactory results and outcomes.

Advantages of the FEL Plow equipment include;

• Ability to keep the FEL on the tractor and attach the snow clearing implement.
  • Stacking snow is easier with the increased lift / reach of the FEL as the base of the equipment.

Disadvantages of the same can include;
  • The weight of the plow blade and assembly can be unwieldy on a SCUT if excessive and the most common mistake people make is going too heavy / large for their machine.
  • Depending upon the plow arrangement, some are carried too low on the FEL frame and don't provide adequate ground clearance.
  • Hanging up to 500 pounds (or more) on the end of the FEL frame on a 120R FEL is simply excessive and counter productive. The weight shoves the tractor around and reduces the operator control of the machine. It also makes the machine unbalanced and requires a great deal of rear ballast to restore operator balance of the machine.
  • You don't need a plow blade engineered to clear snow at 20 - 30 MPH (like a truck mounted plow) on a tractor which has a maximum ground speed of less than 10 mph. The overbuilt plow blade becomes a liability to the machines operation.
  • The implement doesn't have cross uses and is for snow removal only, where the Quik Tach Mount system is also for the blower or broom as well as the blade and the blade can be used for dirt or snow, where most of the FEL mounted plows aren't really designed for anything but snow management,,,,,,,,,,,,

In conclusion;
I am not trying to talk anyone into one system or the other, this is my opinion from using various options and equipment and extensive residential driveway snow clearing experience. People can buy whatever they want, and clearly most do. My goal is simply to provide facts to consider before anyone spends thousands of dollars and finds themself unhappy and disappointed with their selections.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.