Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a loader for a friend and the instructions say to remove paint between frame and mounts, I have done other tractors and not done this and never had one loosen up. What do You guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I am going to install a loader for a friend and the instructions say to remove paint between frame and mounts, I have done other tractors and not done this and never had one loosen up. What do You guys think? Thanks
This sounds like what's called a "slip critical connection" using steel painting industry jargon. IMHO the Mfr. and the install instructions should be followed. These types of load bearing/stressed flat on flat connections will bind up on the paint and then slip and move as the paint does strange things under and over its slip threshold. If you don't get things lined up 100% perfect (and you won't) the mounts will move under load, I suspect the instructions dictate a recheck of bolt torque at some interval after install for just this reason. Paint inside that connection will change this and may compromise its integrity.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, I understand the possablity of slipping due to the paint ,but rust in between the two parts is not good. The tractor side is a machined surface, but the brackets a just plate and I am sure they are not totally flat. By looking at tractors on dealers lot I am pretty sure they are not removing the paint. That does not mean they are doing it right though!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
Sounds like extra work. If I, meaning ME, was doing it I'd put it on with the paint still intact. If possible, put the load on the lowest point and tighten it up as much as possible and check for fit. Then adjust where needed and make sure it's tight. But that's just ME. Like you said, I don't think mine had the paint taken off or was painted after the install. Seeing as it's not moving, I'm not going to take it off and see either. :morning2:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
147 Posts
Slip critical implies no paint and for a reason. The surfaces will rust a little causing the friction. Once the rust advances to a point it should not rust any further. The conection will be much more solid and stabil than a painted surface.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I understand the possablity of slipping due to the paint ,but rust in between the two parts is not good. The tractor side is a machined surface, but the brackets a just plate and I am sure they are not totally flat. By looking at tractors on dealers lot I am pretty sure they are not removing the paint. That does not mean they are doing it right though!
For my application, a urethane caulk is applied around the perimeter of any slip critical surface like this where 2 plates are bolted together and then painted over. You could strip the paint, assemble, caulk and then touch up paint. It would probably look pretty darn good actually, and seal out any harmful amounts of rust.

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Slip critical implies no paint and for a reason. The surfaces will rust a little causing the friction. Once the rust advances to a point it should not rust any further. The conection will be much more solid and stabil than a painted surface.

Correct, though in structural applications there are speciality primers for these surfaces that can be used to inhibit most of the rust. Caulking the edges and completing the 3 part paint system is also typical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts