Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guessing this has been asked and answered a million times but.... I plan to use the loader on my 1023 to clear snow. We don't get enough where I'm at to justify the cost of a plow or blower. For those of you that use your loader for snow (or anyone else), is marking/scratching your concrete driveway a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I used mine on an asphalt driveway with no issue. It left some marks, but by spring I never really saw anything. My driveway isn't real pretty though... It works, but it'll be clunky at best. Finding the point where the front wheels can turn and the loader isn't leaving snow is the bigger issue. The geometry of the loader will cause the front end to lift when you get to pushing snow. Makes for a pain on any kind of hill or slope. When pushing across unfozen ground be very careful as it'll remove lots of turf very quickly. Keep and eye on your cutting edge. Mine seemed to be wearing more than I wanted. I know the 54" blade is spendy, but it's worth every penny....

When doing normal loader work the speed never seemed to bug me. Once I started using it for snow it seemed extremely slow. Not sure why other than I was in a hurry to clear the drive before work.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've used my loader to clear snow for the last two years, and last year was a doozy. I cleared my drive (gravel) and both of my neighbors drives (asphalt) and didn't scrape anything up at all. Just be wary of your bucket edge and you should be able to get away with not scraping things up. Just make sure you set your bucket level indicator.

My driveway is about 150 feet long with a large parking area. If we get 6" of snow, it will take about 45 min. to clear, mostly due to the plow trucks closing in the end of the drive about 2 feet deep with heavy wet snow. I then would clear the neighbor's drive which are shorter (about 50 feet long, double wide). Usually would take about 15-20 min. each.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use my loader in conjunction with a 5 foot rear blade. To keep the cutting edge off the driveway, I use a piece of 2" pvc pipe. I cut it just short
of the bucket width and then cut a slot in it, length wise, with a table saw. Use a rubber or dead blow mallet to drive it over the cutting edge. Depending
on the winter I usually go thru 2 in a winter. Works for me and is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
PVC on cutting edge, awesome.

I bet it would work on my gravel drive as well. Big problem trying not to gouge into the gravel. When the thaw comes I find some of my gravel in the yard PITA.

Might have to fab one up, have the PVC.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I use my orange tractor and loader to move snow the last to years, I did wear the cutting edge some due to I needed to dig in to get the ice off, very steep drive.
Sold that tractor this summer and bought green and installed the piranha tooth bar. I just ordered a straight blade from them also to use for snow. I figure this will keep my bucket edge in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
PVC cutting edge is genius! I'm onto that for this winter.

To the guy with the 5ft blade above. Is it worth the money or should I just jump to a front mounth plow or blower? I sure like the cost of loader-plowing (FREE). But it takes a fair amount of time.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by wearing out the cutting edge. It's metal vs snow and ice.
I you don't have to really dig in with your bucket and keep you bucket level there will be minimal wear on your buckets cutting edge, in my case I need to get it clean as possible so I would angle my bucket down and scape the concrete with the bucket edge to get it as clean as possible, by doing this the edge of the bucket wears down over time and your cutting edge isn't straight anymore. The corners wore faster than the center. This is why I am installing a different cutting edge to wear this instead of the buckets edge.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
PVC cutting edge is genius! I'm onto that for this winter.

To the guy with the 5ft blade above. Is it worth the money or should I just jump to a front mounth plow or blower? I sure like the cost of loader-plowing (FREE). But it takes a fair amount of time.
I like not buying other equipment also, plus the loader allows me to stack in high when multiple snows come rollin in. Take alittle more time but a lot cheaper than a blower.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use my loader in conjunction with a 5 foot rear blade. To keep the cutting edge off the driveway, I use a piece of 2" pvc pipe. I cut it just short
of the bucket width and then cut a slot in it, length wise, with a table saw. Use a rubber or dead blow mallet to drive it over the cutting edge. Depending
on the winter I usually go thru 2 in a winter. Works for me and is pretty cheap.
This kind of idea is EXACTLY what I had been considering to protect both my concrete and loader. Any chance of a pic or 2? How does that setup handle back-dragging?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I just picked up a "snow edge" by ratchet rake for my 1023.. Its specifically for this purpose.. It protects your cutting edge and saves your concrete etc.. Go to ratchetrake.com and you can see the demo.. It goes on and off in seconds..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just picked up a "snow edge" by ratchet rake for my 1023.. Its specifically for this purpose.. It protects your cutting edge and saves your concrete etc.. Go to ratchetrake.com and you can see the demo.. It goes on and off in seconds..
Rachet Rake looks like a nice piece and well constructed, but $300???? I don't think so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rachet Rake looks like a nice piece and well constructed, but $300???? I don't think so.
Well, considering a new 54" blade with quick hitch hardware runs arourd $1500, I'd say $300 is a bargain if it works!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Let us know how it works, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Let us know how it works, if you don't mind.
will do guys.. and that $1500 for a blade or $3000+ for a blower is exactly why I decided to give this thing a try.. just wait'n for some decent snow to try it out.. I'll report back when I get to put it through its paces.. If you have a 1000 foot driveway or something.. This thing likely ain't for you.. But for my purposes.. I have a single lane entrance that's about 60ft long and 12ft wide that leads to a concrete pad that's 30ft long and 30ft wide.. I wanted to protect my concrete but get down to the bare surface and I like the idea of being able to scoop and dump away from the area's were I normally get massive snow banks.. That's one of the largest motivations for trying out this unit..

Reactions: budman
1 - 20 of 100 Posts