Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please place blocks or jackstands under the rear of the trailer if not equipped legs on the ramps:

Apollo Borough, Pa. – No injuries to report after a Ford 150 towing a trailer loses it’s grip at the wheels on a hill in Apollo Borough Sunday afternoon.PSP Tpr. Hildebrand reported the crash occurred after the Ford 150 was parked at the top of a hill at the intersection of Summit Avenue and 4th Street as the operator, James A Ferrington, age 59 of Avonmore was backing his Kubota tractor off the trailer. The weight shifted causing the truck and trailer to start skidding down the hill. The truck, trailer and tractor went off the roadway and struck a house.
State Police Kittanning continue their investigation and it was not immediately know if any citations would be filed.

Truck hits house in Apollo Borough crash – AKVNEWS.COM

IMG_0453.JPG

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Tractor looks fairly undamaged. Can't say that for anything else involved.....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wow!! :oops: I can see how that totally happened though. If he did not have any kneeler blocks on the rear of the trailer as he backed off, it lifted the rear wheels of that F150 off the ground enough to loose its grip on the roadway and then it was all downhill from there.

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!! :oops: I can see how that totally happened though. If he did not have any kneeler blocks on the rear of the trailer as he backed off, it lifted the rear wheels of that F150 off the ground enough to loose its grip on the roadway and then it was all downhill from there.

Exactly what happened :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
Ouch! A fella could go through a couple a pair a skivies on a ride like that.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Seen that this evening on local Pittsburgh channel. Some guys never seem to learn correct way to unload or how or when to chock their wheels.
Wonder if the operator had to go and change clothes after this happened.. Guessing it was one heck of a ride.:munch:

The fellow that bought my JD425 was backed down our drive. Same thing happened to him , except he was loading his new to him JD425 and for a few inches going up the ramp of trailer it lifted the rear wheels of truck off the ground. As soon as it started moving he backed off the trailer ramp and moved the truck across our drive and yard.

On my old trailer I had welded jks to the rear of the trailer so this wouldn't happen. So far I haven't but I will do the same for this trailer.

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
Yep. Had it happen to me once. The truck and trailer moved about 6-8 feet while I scooted up and onto the trailer deck. And this was on a fairly level surface. Never made that mistake again. I still pucker-up when thinking about that incident almost 30 years ago. It doesn't pay to be in a hurry.

fullsizeoutput_4a7.jpg

fullsizeoutput_4a8.jpg

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That sure made a mess of things. At least it wasn't a green tractor. lol

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There are a couple of things about this that "irritate" me.

1) This was 100% preventable.

2) IMHO, the operator that did this is 99.9% likely to be one of the people known for saying things like "I've been doing it this way for 25 years - nothing is going to happen."

Just because you've never had an issue doing something incorrectly in the past doesn't mean that you won't have an issue in the future.

Hope he's ok, and hope he's learned some very valuable things about doing it correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
This is tragic for the guy who owns the truck and tractor, tragic. He wasn't thinking obviously, and there are no 'do overs'. As someone stated, take your time, think it through. :banghead:

·
Registered
23,006 Posts
Years ago a friend was loading is Ford 8N on his trailer at someone elses house. He had his pickup/trailer pointed downhill on a gravel driveway. Once the weight from the front of the tractor got onto the rear of the trailer the truck and trailer took off - he just pushed in the clutch and stayed put. Once the truck and trailer started going it didn't stop. He had some body work needed done on his truck after that.

My last trailer had a full ramp gate - and had what I call a knee under the entire width of the gate near the hinge. What a great feature! The rear of my pickup would only rise a couple inches at most when loading my tractor. The only thing was you had to be sure the trailer was on a fairly level spot - if not the knee would catch on the ground and not be able to lower the gate.

Not my trailer but shows the knee on the ramp -

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I had a bumper pull equipment trailer that I used to haul my forklift. The ramps stood straight up and had a leg on them like the one you posted. The legs were a couple of inches too long, and I really liked them that way. After I let them down, I had to back up a little to get the ends to touch the ground. That caused the legs to dig into the ground a bit and take all the weight off the rear of the trailer. It would scratch up concrete or asphalt, but never enough to be a problem.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Similar story

When my brother in law bought his JD (20 hp or so, forget the model) the dealer delivered with a bumper pull trailer. They live on a steep hill. During the unload process the trailer lifted the truck enough so it slid into my BIL's truck denting it fairly badly. Then the dealer wanted my BIL to just ignore that little issue. That didn't happen but it goes to show that even employees who presumably do deliveries every day slip up.

The "legs" on my trailer ramp are a bit short so I always have wood blocks with me to make sure the trailer doesn't droop more than an inch or so when loading or unloading. It's not ideal because things can slip but that picture is a great reminder to always take enough time to be safe.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
Just had one of these here in MA today. Guy had a his Mahindra compact tractor loaded on a (really crappy!) home-made trailer and hooked to a 1st generation Toyota Tundra.

Got to where he was going to use the tractor and went to back the tractor off the trailer. He had the emergency brake set in the truck but that didn't matter one lick when the truck's back tires came right up off the ground.

Truck, trailer and tractor (with driver riding the tractor!) rolled about 150' ft down a hill and finally stopped when he ran into his buddy's truck/trailer. Both trucks will need all new rear quarter panels, doors and front fenders but no one was injured.

Crazy stuff!

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
I found out the 2030 was heavy enough to lift the rear of old yeller (1978 Ford 3/4tone 4x4) when backing off a trailer.
Luckily this was on flat ground.
From then on I would put the truck in 4wd or have someone in the truck with their foot pushing the brake pedal.

I agree, ramps with built on supports would be the best solution. That trailer was sold about 10 years ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts