Green Tractor Talk banner

Loafing Lean-to for the Horses

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Guja0501 
#1 ·
I've spent the last 3 weekends getting this built for the horses. It is a 12x32 Lean-to attached to our existing 16x32 'micro' barn.

I have a bunch of trim work left to do, it is unfortunate that Menards doesn't stock all the different trim pieces I need.

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, this is Minnesota, and shortly the very short grass they are turning into mud will be frozen and covered with snow. They are pretty much done grazing for effect this year...
Our two horses stand right next to the barn under it's tiny overhang when it rains, snows, or is really cold and windy out. I am pretty sure they will stand inside in those cases, now that they have somewhere they can.

I am thinking that I should have some lights inside the shelter. Maybe two different ones, one just a nightlight, and another for when humans want to see things.
Any suggestions for a good Horse Nightlight?

Reactions: Big
#4 ·
You might also be able to find a pole barn supplier in your area that can get/make the trim. We have two of them in our area. Order your siding today, pick up tomorrow - cut to your specified length.

#6 ·
Can you access the over hang area from inside the main barn or do you have to go in the big door outside like the horses use? Lights do not have to be anything fancy, I have 9.5 W LED 60 W bulbs in all of my cupolas and outside barn lights. They are supposed to last 15,000 hours and are 800 lumens brightness, I would think they would be great for your needs.

#7 ·
I can get at everything :). Worst case I might have to drill a hole, but the barn was very cheaply built and there are no soffits or anything and I could just throw a wire through. I still have to dig a trench and bury wire ( about a 50' run) to get power in the barn. For now there is a 12ga extension cord that runs through the barn back up to the hydrant, where there are two heated 5 gallon buckets that I have to fill every day for the horses to drink. Although I noticed the geese helping themselves to the water, too.

I'll put some light out there soon. Hopefully this long weekend I will be able to trench the wires out there.

Also I will be cutting a door from the main barn so people (hopefully not horses) can get through.

Reactions: Dan in Ohio
#9 ·
I have a bunch of trim work left to do, it is unfortunate that Menards doesn't stock all the different trim pieces I need.
Most any place that sells seamless rain gutters should be able to make trim for you.
I had the trim around the imitations stone made.
Wall Property Road surface Wood Window

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.