Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've been thinking about this for quite some time and finally decided to get it done. I hate getting under anything to work on and have a 10K two post lift, my idea was to purchase a set of lift ramps for tractors, rtv's, etc. however, after pricing those out and north of a couple thousand dollars, I decided to just go ahead a fab my own. Even though they are made from wood and steel, they work great.
First thing I did was weld four 8"X8" 3/16" steel plates to a set of 1/4" lift adaptors I bought years ago. Then drilled 1/2" holes in the four corners to sandwich two plates on both sides of a 2x10" plank. It will makes sense in just a minute.

After measuring all my vehicles I plan to get up on the lift, (Wheel base, and width) I transferred those measurements to two DF 2X10's, drilled out the four 1/2" plate holes, bolted them together with 1/2" bolts and set them into the female lift points. I did buy a set of #1500 aluminum shed ramps to get up on the lift planks. I also made two 2X4" spacers to keep the width correct and drilled holes thru the spacers and ramps and use a 6"X1/2" carriage bolt no nut to hold it while setting the width. I raise the lift to do this then set it back on the ground and take the spacers off, much easier in the air then on the cement surface. Notice the supports under the beginning of each plank! So the planks will not raise out of the lift pockets upon loading the heavy weight in font of the support, there is also one centered between front and back of the plank.

Here is the X738 safely up on the lift,, piece of cake! There is 5"10" of room under the tractor,, doesn't look it but there is. The lift is 12' high. Notice the tractor wheel centers are directly above the steel plates and the weight is carried correctly to the lift supports.
This view is from underneath the 738, and while I was under there today, out came the grease gun!

One more pic of the tractor lift support, a totally safe project, that I can safely load any yard machine I have for maintenance at any time, and those spacers I described earlier; they have holes for each piece of equipment for width,, east set up and correct each and every time without fooling around with a ruler with the center hole drilled in the plank! .. The assembled planks weigh about 50 lbs. a piece, are 7' 6"long and They also make great tool storage while working on something.. I great little project.. Cost with my own labor for everything, under 200 Bucks but I did have the lift adaptors and they were at the time around $130.00 for all four, they are just truck frame supports. That included the 8 pieces of 8"X8"X3/16 steel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Fantastic! Your just like TTWT, when do you start making how to videos for the 7xx series?

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
14,390 Posts
Nice ,, I like that..

While doing the service don't forget the 2 grease fittings on the u joint at the transmission end of driveshaft.

·
Administrator
17,524 Posts
Great idea Jeff!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Nice ,, I like that..

While doing the service don't forget the 2 grease fittings on the u joint at the transmission end of driveshaft.
Yeah and get some rustoleum black paint and touch up that rust. ? I like seeing these types of projects executed so well.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hmmm. Yep

Your in the early stages of too much stuff and too small of a building.
Been there ..uhhh still there.

Built a 30 x 90 shop ..added a wrap around loft (both sides and rear 3rd.
Added drive up ramp.
Moved more stuff to attic
Have 9 hoists hanging from a 90' trolly system with the quads hanging from 3 of them.
This works great to keep mice out of the quads.
Plan was to get them from rear loft to front door via trolly...its a cluster of hanging stuff.
Yea the 30' drive up ramp is now a shelf for dirt bikes and 3 more quads.

I'm completely out of space and looking for an answer.
Its time to seriously downsize..I got no more flat land for storage and dream of the day I could walk away from all this stuff. Too much is bad..Zero time to enjoy any of it.

Nice set up you have...I've considered that option as well.

My best answer is ...Its my retirement plan. If the economy is right and stuff sells I'll be fine.

·
Corndog Hater
11,478 Posts
Looks Great Jeff, thanks for the write up and pics (y)

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice ,, I like that..

That was the first area I greased! So much easier now than laying on my back and being sort of tight under the tractor..
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hmmm. Yep

Your in the early stages of too much stuff and too small of a building.
Been there ..uhhh still there.

Built a 30 x 90 shop ..added a wrap around loft (both sides and rear 3rd.
Added drive up ramp.
Moved more stuff to attic
Have 9 hoists hanging from a 90' trolly system with the quads hanging from 3 of them.
This works great to keep mice out of the quads.
Plan was to get them from rear loft to front door via trolly...its a cluster of hanging stuff.
Yea the 30' drive up ramp is now a shelf for dirt bikes and 3 more quads.

I'm completely out of space and looking for an answer.
Its time to seriously downsize..I got no more flat land for storage and dream of the day I could walk away from all this stuff. Too much is bad..Zero time to enjoy any of it.

Nice set up you have...I've considered that option as well.

My best answer is ...Its my retirement plan. If the economy is right and stuff sells I'll be fine.
30'X50' 4 door garage and yes you are right, never enough room once you start!

It gets better in the summer as I move some of the "items" into the carport but even with that said, I need another garage!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,727 Posts
Great idea and great work, Jeff.(y)

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah and get some rustoleum black paint and touch up that rust. ? I like seeing these types of projects executed so well.

At least that surface rust you see is on the Curtis sander not the JD tractor! That's one of my projects along with taking care of the surface rust on the lift arms! I just retired this past October, so I need to plan these things out carefully!!! I don't want to run out of projects...?

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice work. Gotta love that 2 post lift. Would love to have one, as I too hate working on my back!
It's also good for just this; easy Blower maintenance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts