Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and I didn’t see anything about log splitters that attach to the 3 pt and use power beyond (if that exists) or if they can use PTO power (if that exists). Or are all of them a separate self sustaining unit with their own engines?

My thought process was having one less small engine could be nice. I have the tractor that has hydraulics or PTO power after all.

Looking for advice of a good log splitter I can buy and then pass to my son. So once again the “buy once cry once” technique.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
You can buy any of the configurations you mentioned. They do all exist. It's a matter of pros/cons for each.

If you use a 3 point mounted splitter you lose the ability to move logs to the splitter with your loader. For some folks, that's a deal breaker all by itself.

A splitter that runs off your Power Beyond will only run as fast as your machine can supply hydro fluid. On many of the CUTs that means it's going to run realllly slllllooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Or you can get a PTO driven pump and a separate tank for your own dedicated hydro system but that tends to be the most expensive option.

So most folks end up with a stand alone splitter. You can use your loader to get logs on it, they tend to have a faster cycle time than a system off the Power Beyond and a basic stand alone splitter is cheaper than a system running off a PTO driven pump.

There should be several prior discussions on this here on GTT but that's a quick and dirty summary of where they all tend to end up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy any of the configurations you mentioned. They do all exist. It's a matter of pros/cons for each.

If you use a 3 point mounted splitter you lose the ability to move logs to the splitter with your loader. For some folks, that's a deal breaker all by itself.

A splitter that runs off your Power Beyond will only run as fast as your machine can supply hydro fluid. On money of the CUTs that means it's going to run realllly slllllooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Or you can get a PTO driven pump and a separate tank for your own dedicated hydro system but that tends to be the most expensive option.

So most folks end up with a stand alone splitter. You can use your loader to get logs on it, they tend to have a faster cycle time than a system off the Power Beyond and a basic stand alone splitter is cheaper than a system running off a PTO driven pump.

There should be several prior discussions on this here on GTT but that's a quick and dirty summary of where they all tend to end up.
Thanks! I swear the search function loses most of its functionality on Tapatalk.

So this would explain why I’ve only ever seen standalone splitters. I guess in a way it simplifies matters by having a standalone...in that you’re not attached to the PTO or the hydraulics....even though at first I thought that would be better by not having yet another small engine to take care of....

What’s the go to brand that will last forever?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I had one and sold it. Like JimR said they are slow and I was running it with a 4010. Plus like he said it ties up a tractor. I bought a stand alone and love it. Can tow it behind anything and put it where you want it. They are several brands and sizes out there Depending on your budget.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,294 Posts
So this would explain why I’ve only ever seen standalone splitters. I guess in a way it simplifies matters by having a standalone...in that you’re not attached to the PTO or the hydraulics....even though at first I thought that would be better by not having yet another small engine to take care of....
Around here I see a lot of community splitters. Home owners share one splitter.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Stand alone for me, I use my tractor for moving the wood to the splitter so it wood'nt work if I had it tied to the splitter. Yes an extra engine, but what's one more?

Reactions: MLPeep and jdmich

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Years ago I priced a 3 point splitter and by the time I added remotes to my tractor it would cost more than a stand alone. Somewhere around a $1000 will get a decent splitter, mine was about $700 but doesn’t tip up and go vertical for splitting larger rounds.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The above link is what I wish I had bought and is a decent price.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read Briggs engines aren’t what they used to be...I see the TSC one uses Kohler...Kohler “command” on the one.

What’s considered the best small engine now a days?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have rear remotes and power beyond. A while back I saw a three point log splitter on clearance at the farm store for an unbelievable price. One less engine to take care of sounds great to me too. I looked it over and then stood there researching the cycle time knowing if I walked away it would be gone immediately. I don't recall the exact time but it was going to be be incredibly slow on my compact tractor so I passed on it.

I've always pulled my splitter with my tractor or my gator. The gator bed serves as a mobile toolbox and workbench. It's also the ride back to the house to get things we need. The tractor can haul the three point forks full of split wood which wouldn't be an option with a splitter on there. Another nice thing about the stand alone is you can unhook it and then use the tractor to gather logs and rounds.

i know some guys don't split in the woods. However, unless you haul your logs in whole you are creating another step in the process by cutting rounds in the woods and moving them to the splitter back at the shop. That adds up when you cut a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Back when building homemade splitters was a popular thing.. Somewhere there was info available saying what size cylinder needed for gallons per minute to produce an acceptable cycle time.. That info from a splitter parts supplier or forestry forum I don't recall who.. Thing is at the time you worked backwards.. The size cylinder you wanted to use required X gallons per minute, meaning you needed a pump that produced that. The pump then required Y horse power to produce that..

A 3 pt splitter should say the gpm required in the specs... That and your tractor manual should say what is available for use..

As products evolve we also opted for a stand alone splitter.. A somewhat smaller 20 ton unit on an off season discount, being the cheaper option available in our area..

One advantage to splitting in the bush is not having dirty logs skidded to the yard that need cleaned before cutting up..
Good luck..

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did a search and I didn’t see anything about log splitters that attach to the 3 pt and use power beyond (if that exists) or if they can use PTO power (if that exists). Or are all of them a separate self sustaining unit with their own engines?

There have been some excellent posts on splitters. Firewood Prep and Storage has a variety of information that may address your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I read Briggs engines aren’t what they used to be...I see the TSC one uses Kohler...Kohler “command” on the one.

What’s considered the best small engine now a days?

I've got 4 different brands of small engine at my house.
Id rank mine like this
1. Predator (harbor freight honda clone) Generator, pressure washer
2. kawasaki hustler ZTR
3. kohler Troybilt lawn tractor
4. B & S wood chipper. walk behind tiller, mini-bike, lawn vac. My absolute least favorite. I may swap them for a predators someday. They all spend more time broken than running. Should change name to POS.

I know none of those are splitters but you get the idea.

Reactions: trav and theduke

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Yep there are times it is worth it to eliminate a small engine to maintain but for me, a splitter is the one that I would go for a standalone system. That is unless you have a really big tractor to run the splitter and maybe a smaller machine with a FEL to move the wood to and from it. It is just too handy to have a tractor to help out. Even more so if there is someone to operate said tractor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tankerpilot, while I agree with the above reply's, I wanted to point out that I use a 3 point splitter on my 1026R. My wood is at one location. It is very slow, but then again so am I. I have both severe RA and OA and had my second back surgery last October. In the time it takes the ram to retract I can walk to the front and put the split pieces in the bucket. When the bucket is full, I just raise the 3 point and drive to the other end of the house to where it is stacked. In my situation this works for me.
Rich

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I don't care for Quick splitters.
Sure you can work harder and faster...Why?

I still have all my Digits

These guys on youtube setting new records for splitting with some crazy contraption can go for it.
No desire to be that fast these days.

I had one that ran off PB...It was fine..an older Deere unit.
Had an auto retract system of sorts...pull handle and walk away..when retracted the handle went back to Nuetral.

Switched to a pellet stove....no mess ,no bs ,no bugs.....:cool:

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I made a splitter for my 1026R. I got most of the material for free . I used a 4” cylinder, it seems to work ok. I don’t have a lot of wood to split. Im using the tractors rear valve,which can easily be reached . Not having the auto return kinda sucks. But , I do not want another gas engine to maintain. Thing is I can see myself going for a year or longer without needing to run the splitter. If I was using a splitter more often . Id probably go with a gas power splitter.

Reactions: Carvel Loafer

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't care for Quick splitters.
Sure you can work harder and faster...Why?

I still have all my Digits

These guys on youtube setting new records for splitting with some crazy contraption can go for it.
No desire to be that fast these days.

I had one that ran off PB...It was fine..an older Deere unit.
Had an auto retract system of sorts...pull handle and walk away..when retracted the handle went back to Nuetral.

Switched to a pellet stove....no mess ,no bs ,no bugs.....:cool:
Quick cycle time doesn't mean dangerous. Once you set the round and have both hands in a safe location you cycle the cylinder. I would even argue getting it done quickly is safer as opposed to waiting too long and losing focus. If your hand is in the way you're unsafe either way.

Just an extra 10 seconds each way adds up to many minutes and then hours if you're cutting a lot of wood. If you have to go pick up the next round yourself the return stroke isn't really wasted time but the split stroke still is.

Everyone has to decide for themselves of course, I just want guys to know how slow the little tractors run the three point versions.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I get your point.

My 955 moved it plenty quick for me.

And I was in my pre 50's then or wtfever

Perhaps these Newhan units are super slow Idk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts