Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. just curious how often you maintain your log splitters. Im referring to stand alone and not the PTO kind. I have a HUSKEE 27 ton i bought from Tractor Supply around 5 years ago. Its only used for home owner use, maybe 2-3 chords each year. I change the oil usually once a year on the Honda motoe. But what about the hydro fluid and filter? Ive never changed those ever. Theres quiet a lot of fluid. I just check the level every once in a while and let her rip! Thoughts on the fluid flush/filter change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hey guys.. just curious how often you maintain your log splitters. Im referring to stand alone and not the PTO kind. I have a HUSKEE 27 ton i bought from Tractor Supply around 5 years ago. Its only used for home owner use, maybe 2-3 chords each year. I change the oil usually once a year on the Honda motoe. But what about the hydro fluid and filter? Ive never changed those ever. Theres quiet a lot of fluid. I just check the level every once in a while and let her rip! Thoughts on the fluid flush/filter change?

Maybe check with the manufacturer and see what they recommend. Also what type of oil and filter to use.

I would say after 5 years the fluid and filter are ready for a change. Just be sure to get the correct service parts.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts

The log splitter professional here is Pappa. I'm sure he can tell you all about the maintenance intervals and recommendations... he has a log splitter that came over with Columbus as proof of his maintenance abilities.. :hi:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I have the 22 ton version from Huskee. In my opinion these are incredibly well built machines for the money. I did the early fluid and filter change they recommended in the manual, I think within 20 hours or some other ridiculously low time frame.
I really out to do it again seeing as my machine has got to be at least 11 years old, however, garage kept.
Motor, same as my other four strokes, oil change in late fall, air filter or spark plug as needed.
If I had to I could probably dig up my paperwork to see what is actually recommended but I for one will probably just do what I have been doing.
That splitter and I have been spending way too much time together this year. I never thought I would have too much wood on hand but I'm up to my neck in it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I do a spin on filter change once a year and top off hydraulic fluid on my Speeco 28 ton w/Honda GX engine (company that makes splitters for tractor supply i.e. Husky). My thought process is the hydraulic fluid does not get exposed to the products of combustion like in a combustion engine, and I store it inside and never split in the rain, so there isn't a significant water risk as my barn is kept @50 degrees in the winter.

I put about 20 hours a year on my splitter and change the engine oil in the Honda GX annually. And clean the air filter after each use.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome guys! Thanks for replies. My splitter has always been storred inside as well. I have the manual somewhere so il dig it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts