Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some direction or plans to make a log splitter for a compact tractor. Has anyone built one of have a place I can get plans on what I need?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Just was wondering why you decided to build one vs to just buy one? It would seem to me that there are so many to choose from that it would be easier and most cost effective to purchase one. I often thought that if I were in the market for a log splitter I probably look closely at this on from Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395410_200395410

·
Registered
733 Posts
In the end, its probably cheaper to build your own...but I do like the one you posted...just an Idea I've always had, but if I were to build one, it would be a 3pt mounted one...or should I say, a standalone unit with no wheels, but iMatch compatible...
Standalone engine/pump/tank underneath...so while Its a tractor "attachment", I can drop it off next to the wood pile for use, and then still have my tractor.

Why dont I just get a trailer type you ask? Cause I dont want to lend it out to everbody around....Lots of leeches around here...all the people I'd let borrow it all have the equipment to handle it...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
In the end, its probably cheaper to build your own...
I think people get caught up in this type of thinking. And yeah, I will admit that it maybe cheaper ONLY if you already have some of the materials. But, then you have to be prepared to make design compromises. If you really are honest with yourself and figure in your time as well, I find that it is cheaper in the long run to buy and maybe at my age I put a higher value on my time.

Now with that being said, sometimes you are just looking for a project to do. That alone can justify the build. Or here is the big one, they just don't make'em the way you want it. In the end it is what you are trying to accomplish, and I feel that sometimes the cheaper "card" gets played way to often and is not always true. But hey, just my two cents.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree, for the average person its way easier (and possibly cheaper) to just buy one. The downside of a 3pt splitter is the expensive 540rpm pump. If you can get around that, i fail to see how it wouldn't be much cheaper to build.

That being said, at some point i hope to build my own. I don't split a lot of wood and what i do is mostly pine so cheap is key as i just split to make it burnable in my fire pit.

No plans but here is a pic of what i would like to build. I would run it off of my rear hydraulics and live with the slower speed of not having a 2 stage pump. Primarily for the lack of maintenance of not having an additional motor or expensive PTO pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think people get caught up in this type of thinking. And yeah, I will admit that it maybe cheaper ONLY if you already have some of the materials. But, then you have to be prepared to make design compromises. If you really are honest with yourself and figure in your time as well, I find that it is cheaper in the long run to buy and maybe at my age I put a higher value on my time.
Interesting Thought Randy..One worthy of its own post! :good2:
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?991-Build-or-Buy....What-Say-You&p=5875#post5875

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree, for the average person its way easier (and possibly cheaper) to just buy one. The downside of a 3pt splitter is the expensive 540rpm pump. If you can get around that, i fail to see how it wouldn't be much cheaper to build.
Well, the splitter Randy pictured does not have a pump at all..Most 3pt splitters are meant to be used in the PB loop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts