Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks so here is the deal. The home that I bought this past June has a wonderful water feature (see: mucky, dirty & muddy pond) in a gully for lack of a better term. There is no access to it besides going down hill and on this hill there are many down tree's that I would like to cut, split & season for my future wood boiler.

Short of hooking up my tractor to each tree and pulling and tugging as best I can on a 90* angle to the logs due to the driveway and land layout. Do any of you have a better solution that I am simply missing?

The problem solving side of me thinks setting up a block on the far side of the driveway high enough to avoid dragging and to redirect the pull seems like it would work in theory. Before I go out and spend $400+ on bull line and blocks I thought I would consult the masses.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My first thought was a logging winch for the tractor.
Not seeing exactly what you are talking/describing makes visualizing it a bit of a challenge. How long a hill? Does the drive you mentioned go down the hill or are you talking about a hill that has no access other than walking down it. If you have a long enough straightaway at the top you could use a long cable with some breakaway pulleys and pull the logs to the top but you would have to have as much room/distance to drive the tractor as the length of the hill/cable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought was a logging winch for the tractor.
Not seeing exactly what you are talking/describing makes visualizing it a bit of a challenge. How long a hill? Does the drive you mentioned go down the hill or are you talking about a hill that has no access other than walking down it. If you have a long enough straightaway at the top you could use a long cable with some breakaway pulleys and pull the logs to the top but you would have to have as much room/distance to drive the tractor as the length of the hill/cable.

Yeah I tried to explain it the best I could.

The hill is roughly 100 yards. There is no other access except to walk down it.

Perpendicular to the hill there is another one. Picture the driveway horizontal to the hill cutting it in half. Best way to explain it.

I was afraid you were going to say a logging winch, unfortunately that isn't in the cards at the moment.

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
Can you post some pictures for us to reference?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't know the official logging term, but it sounds like you need a tall tree at the top of the hill with a big pulley on top and a cable running down to the logs to pull them up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a panoramic picture that is on the short side of the hill. My 2520 is on the driveway and you can somewhat see the hill on the opposite side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
So in relation to your tractor in the photo, where are the trees you wish to pull?

The thing to remember is that farm based tractors are not logging machines. They can be adapted to the purpose, but really arent intended for it.

Look up log skidding cones, that might be helpful if you have to drag them any distance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing to remember is that farm based tractors are not logging machines. They can be adapted to the purpose, but really arent intended for it.
So I'm starting to rethink this whole process. Logistically it's looking like using my tractor isn't going to happen.

So......

After a bunch of searching around I am thinking about making a capstan winch similar to the one below. The problem is that it's $1000+.

I have a Honda 160cc mower engine that I could use for one. Anyone have any idea how to make a gear reduction box or where to get one?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I may still not see the geometry that you have but it appears that your road runs across the face of the hill. You want to pull logs from the downside of the hill up to the road. The road, which is up the hill from the log area runs perpendicular to the direction that you want to pull the logs. Of course the easy answer and the quickest to move logs with, but more money, is the log winch for the tractor. Understand you don't want to go that way.

Your capstan winch is a valid idea but you say $1000. You might be lucky and find a log winch used for that but maybe not.
Cable yarding is an idea but again too much money/effort.

This next idea presumes that my understanding of the geometry is correct.
What if you go back to the long cable pull but put a vehicle on the upper most point (top) of the road with a pulley attached to a good solid point that will not damage the vehicle and run the cable from down the hill up to the pulley on the parked vehicle and then with a 90degree direction change attach to the tractor which can then slowly drive the road which pulls the log up the hill. Alternatively use the tractor as the anchor and use the truck as the pull vehicle.

Of course if my understanding of the geometry is wrong this is invalid.

I have tried to make a picture diagram of my thoughts. May not be valid if geometry is wrong. This would get the log up to the lower side/ middle of the road assuming the anchor was on the upper side of the road. Don't pull until the log hits the anchor as that would be bad.

Picture concept.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually your geometry is perfect you just have to add a pond but I can get around that. Thanks for your effort!!!!!

I could use a tree as an anchor point as well which works well.

What would you use to pull with a cabe or rope? I know a cable would be cheaper but would be hard to tame and coil once I was done with it. I was thinking just some 3/4" bull rope.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Here is one other option for a winch. I have been thinking about getting one of these for some time. The Lewis Winch you can also get one at Baileys for $100 less and free shipping. I am guessing since the new 2013 unit has some updates to it that that is why Bailey's is selling it for $100 off.

Baileys link Bailey's - Lewis Chainsaw Winch Model 400

·
Registered
220 Posts
Actually your geometry is perfect you just have to add a pond but I can get around that. Thanks for your effort!!!!!

I could use a tree as an anchor point as well which works well.

What would you use to pull with a cabe or rope? I know a cable would be cheaper but would be hard to tame and coil once I was done with it. I was thinking just some 3/4" bull rope.

I am a wire rope kind of person (different than cable) but I have multiple winches that all have wire rope on them. It handles differently than cable and is easier all the way around. Not knowing the weight of the trees and the friction drag coming up the hill and the tensile strength of that 3/4" bull rope it is hard to say. Just remember safety is the number one thing in everything we do working in the woods. A broken rope under tension can do a lot of damage just like a snapped cable under tension. Never stand where it could get you if it snapped under tension because depending upon where it snapped it alters the direction of most violent travel. Think hot knife through butter. Many attach aerodynamic drag devices to their cables to slow them in the event of a snap under tension.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have several locations like this on my land. I have not tried to avoid skidding/dragging the log like I think you mentioned in the first post, but allowing for skidding, I have been sucessful with 200' of 3/8" braided steel cable and a snatch block pulley to pull logs with the tractor at angles not inline with the "drag". Your driveway looks perfect for the tractor run and the trees next to it are excellent for staging a snatch block anchor. That assumes your willing to skid the logs across the pond and up the hill...

To suspend them requires about 2x the cable in two lengths, a makeshift cradle,tongs,etc... to hold the log and two snatch block pulleys. The cable is the expensive part, I'd guess around $200 to $400 but the snatch blocks are $20 to $30 each and the stories you will be able to tell from this endeavor are priceless... :munch:

See below for my feeble stick drawing of the rig. I'm assuming you're moving logs, not whole trees... chose your weight bearing equipment carefully.
scaryloggingrig.jpg

If I had two lengths of cable that were sufficently long - I'd try this! It looks like an adventure. :laugh: When you're done you can go zip-lineing!:thumbup1gif:

I wouldn't spend more than a few hundred buck to solve this though...

Matt

Reactions: rgd

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Now that is cool. I would never thought of using an upper guide cable!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts