Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After spending some quality time on the 870 pushing snow and pulling snow, I have decided to get a snowblower for the rear of the tractor for next year.

Trouble is, I don’t know a good brand from a bad one. Guessing I should stick with a 5 or 6’ blower, wheels are 5’ apart. I looked at one that I could drive forward through the snow, but don’t figure 5 grand is in the books right now.

What are folks preference in snowblowers?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Buhler/Allied/Farm King are the same blower with different paint and decals. I have owned two, one a 50" and one a 74" and I think they are very well built. I looked at a Frontier before I bought my 74" and it seemed much lighter constructed and shallower front to back where the snow goes in.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Buhler/Allied/Farm King are the same blower with different paint and decals. I have owned two, one a 50" and one a 74" and I think they are very well built. I looked at a Frontier before I bought my 74" and it seemed much lighter constructed and shallower front to back where the snow goes in.
I have heard good things about meteor, think I spelled it right but have never used one.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

I'll second a Meteor blower, simple and well built. I had a 60" behind a 2520, worked well. They are i-Match compatible as well.

Tom

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm rather partial to my 82" Normand. Well built and easily replaceable parts. I also have a 74" Provonost Puma. Lighter unit and the cutting edge was welded. I sent it out for some stiffening with a few pounds of AR500 plate.

Reactions: cin769

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I notice that MK Martin (makers of the Meteor) have a couple different models. They have the traditional back up to use, but they also have a drive forward model. I like the idea of driving forward, but question how well it picks up the area that you drove over? In very deep snow (not that we get that anymore in MN), I would question if they are more prone to getting stuck?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I have the Frontier SB1154, while I don't have lots of comparisons with different models, it appears to be a well built machine and I would purchase it again with out question. I bought it 3 years ago and this is the first winter I could actually use it. It lived up to my hopes and expectations.

You didn't mention whether you were looking at new or not, but set up some searches like this: "snow blower site:tractorhouse.com" (changing the site) that you can copy/paste every now and again (or bookmark). I found mine on Tractor House for about 1/3rd new, and it had hardly been used and it included the hydraulic rotation. It was located at a dealer about 3 hours from me, so we made a small family weekend getaway out of the trip and the best part was they knocked additional money off when negotiating.

Good luck to ya!

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I have the Frontier SB1154, while I don't have lots of comparisons with different models, it appears to be a well built machine and I would purchase it again with out question. I bought it 3 years ago and this is the first winter I could actually use it. It lived up to my hopes and expectations.
The Frontiers aren't bad but I'm a little disappointed they don't have a replaceable cutting edge. As it is they just use the edge of the auger housing.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
I bought a used 64" Land Pride last fall and I have no complaints. Glad I did as I've got some great use out of it this year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! Used is certainly a good option for me. Plan to look for it during the summer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bringing this back to the top, cause now is the time to be buying a snowblower! :bigthumb:

I wanted to run this one past you all....found it at a local JD dealer. 5’ Farm King model 600. They are looking for $1495.

I think it is somewhere around a 2000 to 2004. Not sure serial number can be used to determine birthday, but it starts with 2000. Lightly used. The only trouble I would see with it is it doesn’t have skid shoes on it, and if I wanted to change the chute to an electric swivel, it would be a tad bit tougher.

What are your thoughts on it?

I also found a dealer 50 miles away that has new Farm King, model 600 is $21xx, and a 660 is 22xx.

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
Make SURE you check the bearings and gear case for seizure or rust. It should free-wheel with very limited physical effort. Blowers are pretty expensive to fix, considering their (lower) initial purchase price.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Buhler.....? Buhler....? :)

Attachments

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol: Does anyone think that is a bit much for a potentially 18 y/o machine? I realize they don’t lose a lot of money, but that seems to me a bit much. Local one on CLfor $950 that is probably the same thing, but is weathered more.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alrighty...passing on the Farm King, as I have read the older ones didn’t toss the snow very far.

Which leads me to my next search. As much as I would love a 5’6” blower to be wider than my rig, I don’t know that in heavy snow it will push it with only 25 PTO HP.

Which leads me to look for a land Pride 64”.

I found a used one with hydraulic spout turning, but I don’t have any hookups out back of this tractor. I would hate to guess what it would take to do this, but it is an option I am looking at.

Should I convert it to electric?

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
Are one of these the machines your considering to power the new blower? Or do you have a newer machine and not updated your signature?

-1967 110 RF with 20 hp V-twin

-1959 Wizard garden tractor

- 1990 870 utility with 440 loader

- 1950 B

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as hydrualics to power a chute, couldn't a guy make some long hoses and plug into the loader hookups? Assuming you'd leave the loader off when snowblowing.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will be hung off the 870, which was mentioned in the first post. So, to recap, I am looking to get a snowblower attachment for it.

The loader will stay on to be able to use if needed, so I need to figure out a different way to get hydraulics out back if I want to use a hydraulic cylinder to turn the chute. I vaguely recall some power beyond that was used to run a backhoe, but guessing that would be a trick to track down.

·
Administrator
20,974 Posts
The 870 was mentioned in the first post, but not like it was the machine that the blower was intended for. :think:

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
The simplest and cheapest way to add hydraulics for your chute rotation would be to add a manual or electric "diverter" to the dump/curl circuit on the loader. Adding a PB circuit and then a valve will cost about $500, whereas a diverter could be as low as about $150. Now if your intending to use other items on the rear that need hydraulics it might make sense to add a valve set, but for just occasional snow blowing the diverter is the way to go and you don't have to modify the tractor at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts