Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided its time to upgrade my riding lawn mower (Cub Cadet XT3) for something that can help me out more around the yard. Been leaning towards a John Deere 1025R or a Kubota BX2680. Shockingly there is a price difference from both proposals (4K) so wanted to reach out to other 1025R owners to see if what was proposed is correct for my needs.

Currently I use the XT3 for mowing and towing. Have a wood stove so I move a lot of split wood around the property via a trailered cart. I also use the dump trailer in the spring for mulching. I have never tried using the XT3 for snow removal so I do have a blower for that but was hoping the 1025R would allow me to sell the snow blower.

The dealer proposed a brand new 1025R with a 2YR warranty. Plus they added a PowerGard protection plan. $15,1xx.xx

120R Loader $4,5xx.xx

54D auto connect $2,6xx.xx

The total comes out to $23K

Is $23K a good price for all of this equipment? Is PowerGard really needed for a residential tractor that will only see 50-100hrs a year? It's tough to spend 4K more for the Deere but it was the tractor I preferred from the get go.

I appreciate any help with the pricing or if I am missing any accessory for this tractor. I know I will need to buy a plow or blower in the future for snow removal. Been watching a ton of tractor time with Tim. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The deere is slightly bigger and a little more capable than the kubota. If you have time you can watch the many episodes of Tim's comparison videos. Episode #1

Autoconnect mower deck + load n go brackets (if you purchase them) make it very user friendly.

Price sounds typical to me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The deere is slightly bigger and a little more capable than the kubota. If you have time you can watch the many episodes of Tim's comparison videos. Episode #1

Autoconnect mower deck + load n go brackets (if you purchase them) make it very user friendly.

Price sounds typical to me
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any experience with the PowerGard package? Is it really necessary since the tractor is brand new? That would shave a lot of money off the initial purchase....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
That is a fair price. Of course, you will want to add pallet forks sooner rather than later.

It looks to me as if the PowerGard package is nothing other than an extended warranty policy with a different name. I personally would turn that down in a heartbeat. It is almost pure profit for them. Put that money aside in your own contingency fund.

·
Registered
79 Posts
One good thing about the powergard vs the typical extended warranty is that it also includes transport to/from the dealer for warranty issues as well as eliminates the pre-authorization stuff for doing the covered repairs which can really cut down on the time involved. But, to your point...it's a brand new machine and at such low hours per year, I wouldn't expect it to be of much value.

I'm getting quotes myself on a new tractor, and that's a debate I've been running through my head as well. I've decided I'm going to skip it and I'll just roll the dice that anything after 2 years is up that isn't powertrain related, I'll just eat the cost. I may regret it..but that's where I'm headed. It also frees me up a little bit mentally to consider additional improvements/modifications that I would be hesitant to do if I had the extended warranty since I would be "risking" wasting the warranty's value by making those changes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you're getting new, then the 54D is compatible with Load-n-Go's. I'd get them. Are you moving only cut firewood, or are you also moving bigger pieces to cut? As a member of the Grapple Appreciation Society, I would suggest adding a Frontier AV20F Grapple and have them install the Deere 3rd Function SCV diverter.

And if it's brand new, while they're doing PDI, have them install the ROPS lights at the inside of the ROPS, not the outside.

While I'm making suggestions for how to spend your money, add the VersaTurf tires.

Reactions: cc1999 and whitc

·
Registered
79 Posts
I appreciate any help with the pricing or if I am missing any accessory for this tractor. I know I will need to buy a plow or blower in the future for snow removal. Been watching a ton of tractor time with Tim. Thanks.
As for missing....what are you doing for ballast? I think a imatch quickhitch and a ballast box should be a minimum addition if you're going to be running the loader with any kind of weight in the bucket. You could step up to running a heavy hitch and suitcase weights, but if you are trying to minimize cost probably just the quickhitch and ballast box would do for now. Already some good suggestions in the thread as well. I also highly recommend the load-n-go's. The 3rd function kit is nice to get up front to be able to roll into the financing and (hopefully) get a break on the installation cost versus doing it later. Even if you aren't getting a grapple right away. And +10000 on the versa turf tires for something that's going to be working in the yard vs the default R4's. And while it's not critical, I would suggest getting the power beyond hydraulic kit to open up additional possibilities down the road for rear SCV upgrades. It's useful for more than just a backhoe and not terribly expensive ;)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
OP,
The price seems a bit high, but I'm also out of touch with current pricing. Whatever you do add the JD 3rd SCV at time of purchase. A year from now you'll thank me, but that's another conversation.

As for the power guard service plan others may play it down, but extended plans for large equipment isn't like an extended plan for your wife's stove. I recently opted to buy the extended plan (4years) for $1400. My 1023e is almost 2 years old, I'm 70, on a fixed income, and don't want to deal with the problems that may or may never occur. However, I just read a post on this site concerning a machine with a selector valve that broke. The machine is not far out of warranty, but the repair is not covered. Cost?? Almost $2000.

Wait on the extended warranty. You'll receive an email from Deere before your warranty ends and if you want you can purchase it then.

Buy the Deere, and you'll never regret it.

And, add any options, grapple, blade, ballast box, box blade, 3rd SCV etc. to the purchase and take full advantage of the 0% financing for any balance remaining.

Reactions: whitc and JD/1982

·
Premium Member
2021 1025R Cab
91 Posts
Mine has 10 hours on it, so new. Recently went through the purchase. As mentioned if you are getting the FEL, you need ballast. iMatch plus BB works for me. Also as mentioned, I got the 3rd fx SCV installed by dealer. Post purchase I have alreadyy added a plow, grapple, and forklifts - none JD

·
Registered
93 Posts
Many others have posted good recommendations and you will see more to come.

The only advise I will give that is you are very price conscious then it may appear that the price difference to Kubota may be unjustified. I am sure most Kubota owners would agree.

However, at one time 99% of us are where you were and we went green and not because Kubota (other brands) are junk.
I, for one, soon came to the realization that the 1025R was going to be the best overall choice given the range of attachments available, ease of use with the blower/plow and QH setup, backhoe option, cab options, etc.
The difference in price to me became a non issue as I found I wasn't comparing apple to apples anymore at one point.

So, beat on the sales guy, get the best possible deal you can, and be aware that if you buy the attachments you want at time of purchase you can get the 0% financing on most (if not all) of that as well.
My only regret is not buying more attachments (plow/blower/forks) at time of purchase and getting a better deal on those compared to when I bought those later.

This is not a cheap undertaking for many but these tractors are in demand and typically hold a very decent resale value or trade in if that is a concern.

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
And I wish I had gotten the power beyond
It's an easy install. Probably take less than an hour for open station. I think in a cab would still not be too bad. Really the seat is the largest obstacle. The power port on SVC can be seen with right wheel off, the loop goes to the rear and returns directly under the seat suspension.

Reactions: whitc and trav

·
Premium Member
2021 1025R Cab
91 Posts
It's an easy install. Probably take less than an hour for open station. I think in a cab would still not be too bad. Really the seat is the largest obstacle. The power port on SVC can be seen with right wheel off, the loop goes to the rear and returns directly under the seat suspension.
I've been told the cab needs to come off to instal the PB

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went from a JD317 doing the duties you were doing with the Club Cadet (no winter duties) to a 2021 1025R with 54D auto connect/Load N Go {recommended} & AF10F 60"snow plow. The JD auto connect mower, for the 2021 & later 54D mower deck revision, I believe, is the 2025R version & is an improvement in connect/disconnect performance, and seems much better than the Kubota mower attachment procedure- although the Kubota is an excellent machine as well otherwise in my opinion. The ease of the heavy deck manipulating with the 1025R was, in itself, the deciding factor for me in the decision, as well as the 40 yr relationship and proximity of the Deere dealership compared to the Kubota dealer. You're quote seems normal when I adjust my price to CDN $. Question- is the extended warranty you're talking about refer to additional 2 yrs coverage to the basic warranty-or is it the entire warranty? I think, my warranty was 6yrs/600 hrs, included in purchase price. I also use between 75-100 hr/year. Additionally I added suiitcase weights/HHbracket/cart (purchased separately). I don't think I'm mistaken about my warranty (it's at least 4yrs-but my memory says 6yrs/600 hrs). About my memory....I'll look up the paperwork. Good luck with your purchase decision.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have you operated both machines? You might find that on one of them you hate how the controls work, or how one can do a particular task better than the other, or how the seat feels or whatever. Then decide what's most important to you.

When I decided it was time to buy a tractor I only really considered the two top brands, John Deere and Kubota. I did briefly look at a couple others but to me, a capital purchase like a tractor and it's associated implements is no place to cheap out. I got to comparing specs then watching videos on the various offerings from JD and 'Bota. And as soon as I saw the rocker pedal that Kubota uses on their tractors, that brand was OUT! I knew I'd hate it because I had a lawn tractor with a rocker pedal and hated that!

So in my case I narrowed it down to JD then selected the 1025R before I even set foot on my dealer's doormat. When I went there to demo it it was basically to make sure that features such as the AutoConnect mower and quick-park loader worked as advertised (both were major reasons I went with JD), and that I actually liked the ergonomics of the operator station. I was already committed to buying it if all went well although I did look at models below and above it (1023E and 2025R, respectively) to make sure I was choosing wisely among Deere's offerings.

AND ALSO: are you comfortable with your dealership or does your salesman remind you of the type of character commonly found at a buy-here-pay-here car lot? The kind that says ohhh you want $2500 for your trade? Oh yeah yeah, no problem buddy we can definitely get you that, it's nooo problem at all! flashes an award-winning smile as he snickers to himself

Your dealer is your point of contact and the liason between you and John Deere themselves, so you definitely want good folks on your side in the unfortunate event that you need warranty work or whatever.

I would consider those two things before price. Yes 4K is a lot of money but... buy once, cry once and besides, JD's have good resale so don't confuse upfront cost with total cost of ownership (but I'm pretty sure Kubota has good resale too)

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I understand, new (S)CUT's come with a 2yr "bumper to bumper" warranty, and a 6-year/2000 hour powertrain warranty. The powergard extends the bumper-to-bumper to the full 6 years to coincide with the existing powertrain warranty plus adds the free transport, no pre-auth, etc. But I could be mistaken...I welcome corrections to my understanding where it is off :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
One thing that I noticed when tractor shopping was that Kubota charged extra for things that are standard on the Deere, including the quick connect bucket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
From what I understand, new (S)CUT's come with a 2yr "bumper to bumper" warranty, and a 6-year/2000 hour powertrain warranty. The powergard extends the bumper-to-bumper to the full 6 years to coincide with the existing powertrain warranty plus adds the free transport, no pre-auth, etc. But I could be mistaken...I welcome corrections to my understanding where it is off :)
Thanks Longhorn 007 for reply to warranty question. That sounds familiar. For whitc- I also got Versa Turfs- no chains good on turf & snow;-I'm 72 and less extra effort with seasonal change between implements works for me.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts