Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking so far. It needs quite a bit of work. It has bad clutch splines so it will need a new crank and drive disc. Anyone know what it might be worth.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
What are you willing to pay? What’s he willing to sell it for? Somewhere between those numbers is what it’s worth.

That tractor has a lot of potential, but it’s going to require a ton of :gizmo: to get it there. No matter what, if you fully restore it, unless it’s super rare, you’ll never recover the cash back you spent in restoring it. It’s a hobby. You have to look at it that way.

The one thing you can kinda count on is, the popper market is slow. All the “kids” want the Next Generation tractors.

Does it run and drive? Rubber in decent shape? If not, I wouldn’t shell out any more than $1k, tops. More likely a few hundred.

It is a super cool tractor though. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can remember when you could get a antique rubber tired tractor for less then 1K but those days are gone sadly.Being that this is a orchard tractor and also a early one at that the value does go up.In the current condition of this tractor i would offer in the area of 1k to 2k and go from their.Keep in mind a fully restored one can normally sell for well over 5k

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/auction-results/20449545/1936-john-deere-bo

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/auction-results/25069159/1947-john-deere-bo

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it run and drive? Rubber in decent shape? If not, I wouldn’t shell out any more than $1k, tops. More likely a few hundred.

It is a super cool tractor though. :bigthumb:
It does run and drive. The rubber looks OK, but you never know for sure. One front wheel has had the round spokes cut and a new rim welded on. The other painted front wheel we repair when my uncle owned the tractor.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you considered shimming splines utilizing a good clutch disk driver or welding splines then utilizing a die grinder to shape them? I personally wouldn't want to spend over $1K due condition of the fenders & frt wheels
Welding up the crank is a possibility, but I would rather find a used good one. I have heard you can get the front wheel rebuilt if you send yours in or you can buy a reproduction. I can repair the fenders so that's just time without much expense.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize it's a lot of work and really no financial return on your investment, but here is an example of the pride and satisfaction you'll receive upon completion. It is well worth the blood, sweat and cash.
Looks nice, Trebor. We haven't bought it yet, but will see if we can come to an agreement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks CJet69
I was lucky enough to befriend an older collector of John Deere tractors. He has been liquidating his collection of over 150 tractors the last three years. Every time I'd walk into his barns the BO and the BR caught my eye. I settled on a 1944 BO and a 1945 BR. They are my first two show quality tractors. I'm really looking forward to the first tractor show this summer. Should be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Made the deal and brought it home today. Had to pump up all the tires and replace the valve core in one rear wheel before we could add air. We got it pulled out of the PO's barn and towed it about 20 feet and it fired up. Dad drove it the rest of the way home. It need's lots of TLC. Its a 1936 John Deere BO.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
Super cool!!! :bigthumb:

Congrats on the :greentractorride: :bigbeer:

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Congrats on the "new" tractor.

Please be sure to keep us posted on your project.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Made the deal and brought it home today. Had to pump up all the tires and replace the valve core in one rear wheel before we could add air. We got it pulled out of the PO's barn and towed it about 20 feet and it fired up. Dad drove it the rest of the way home. It need's lots of TLC. Its a 1936 John Deere BO.
Nice one the normal guy can work on still with simple tools. Score I like old tractors so simple to deal with, finding parts may be hard but there out there still.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Looking at your pictures I said to myself that looks like Republic Area in Washington State. I look over and see your from North West WA. That could be up in the Duvall Area too or further North.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Congratulations on the BO. Looks like a great project.

Then there is all of the cool belt powered stuff you can buy restore and run on that awesome fly wheel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking at your pictures I said to myself that looks like Republic Area in Washington State. I look over and see your from North West WA. That could be up in the Duvall Area too or further North.
I'm in Whatcom county.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some video.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts