Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a zero turn to have a deciated mower. Looking at replacing my 72'' LANDPRIDE gromming mower. I would like to have a 997 but whew 21,000. would love to have diesel to go with the 1025R. The main reason i want to replace it is at my age its hard to get up on my 1020, its 50yrs old, the mower is 26 years old, well maqnitained and no real service problems. it mows great just want someting new. Right now seriously looking at 930R with deluxe seat and Tweel wheels. The Tweel wheels intrigue my because they have more traction. I have some hillside. I have also looked at the Kubota line they have some diesil's more in line what i want to spend. I realize their decks aren't has strong but i do like they are shaft driven. I am thinking about a rear discharge deck. I have heard the Kubotas with the new low profile tires have had trouble with flats. Sorry just kind of rambling but I am looking for any input. Thanks

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
I am looking at a zero turn to have a deciated mower. Looking at replacing my 72'' LANDPRIDE gromming mower. I would like to have a 997 but whew 21,000. would love to have diesel to go with the 1025R. The main reason i want to replace it is at my age its hard to get up on my 1020, its 50yrs old, the mower is 26 years old, well maqnitained and no real service problems. it mows great just want someting new. Right now seriously looking at 930R with deluxe seat and Tweel wheels. The Tweel wheels intrigue my because they have more traction. I have some hillside. I have also looked at the Kubota line they have some diesil's more in line what i want to spend. I realize their decks aren't has strong but i do like they are shaft driven. I am thinking about a rear discharge deck. I have heard the Kubotas with the new low profile tires have had trouble with flats. Sorry just kind of rambling but I am looking for any input. Thanks
One thing about the diesel ZT's, you need pretty much dry ground, my 997 weighs in at 1900 lbs., me on it 2,100.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
Being I try to stay diesel with anything I buy I would be getting a Kubota if I bought a zero turn now. They have a reasonbly sized 60" diesel that would be just right for me.

Also has to do with my location. Deere dealer is a 6 hour round trip - Kubota dealer is a 2.5 hour round trip.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Drifterbike--can u get onto these zero-turns ok?:unknown:i find it quite hard to manage to step onto my cousins sit and spin-what i call it. it's the smallest one that JD had in the line up 3 yrs ago. i think it rides like a tank also. same way to get off that lousy thing. i have to like slide my one leg down and off onto the ground, and push myself off of the seat. this using this one has really put a sour taste in my mouth towards one. at least with my X-475 i can step onto the deck-with it sitting on the ground, and then right on over. bad part is-i have to lower the deck each and every time-i get off or on. as i did wear the one pin on the mowers lift arm-from not lowing it each and every time.

maybe a bigger one is easier to get on-IDK-wouldn't mind finding out-at some time-i guess. aw-yeah her tires in the back-are almost bald. 3yrs old. keep us posting on what u choose-ok.:munch:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just purchased a Kubota ZD1211. It's just an awesome machine. I don't have any problems mowing moderately steep ground (as long as it's dry). I paid $14,500. Seems like a lot of money, but it should last me for many years. I looked at JD's as well and they are also very nice. As far as the decks, I don't see where one is better than the other.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've had a Kubota diesel ZTR for 10 years, a great machine. If the decks are not as strong they must have really changed, 'cause mine is built like a tank.
^^^^this here. I have a Kubota ZD25 Pro and I can't say anything bad about it. Like another stated, it is a heavy machine and the deck on mine is thick and heavy. The machine is real stable on slopes as it has a very wide stance

·
Registered
375 Posts
Drifterbike--can u get onto these zero-turns ok?:unknown:i find it quite hard to manage to step onto my cousins sit and spin-what i call it. it's the smallest one that JD had in the line up 3 yrs ago. i think it rides like a tank also. same way to get off that lousy thing. i have to like slide my one leg down and off onto the ground, and push myself off of the seat. this using this one has really put a sour taste in my mouth towards one. at least with my X-475 i can step onto the deck-with it sitting on the ground, and then right on over. bad part is-i have to lower the deck each and every time-i get off or on. as i did wear the one pin on the mowers lift arm-from not lowing it each and every time.

maybe a bigger one is easier to get on-IDK-wouldn't mind finding out-at some time-i guess. aw-yeah her tires in the back-are almost bald. 3yrs old. keep us posting on what u choose-ok.:munch:
I just looked at a z930m a week ago. There is a step right on the deck and it's super stable when mounting/dismounting, even with the deck raised in the lock position. My first comment to my wife was just how solid the mower felt while getting on. In comparison, I also checked out a residential z540 (which approaches the price for a z915e, the entry level commercial unit). You "can" step on the deck (though there isn't a specific spot marked out), but unlike the z900 series the deck moves and doesn't feel as stable. I too found myself trying to step over the deck to get off the residential unit because I didn't like the deck wobble.

The residential line seemed flimsy and not very ergonomic when I directly compared it to the commercial line. I would have bought a z915e ($7,000) or z920m ($8,200) had my wife not liked the "familiarity of the controls" on the x590.

Z930M with deck step: (not my picture)

Z930M.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just purchased a 970 R with tweels and 60 inch deck, deluxe seat, 31hp Kawasaki gas motor....13.0 OTD.... Great machine, step on deck, mows like an animal...My son has the Kubota diesel and it's very heavy, leaves tracks in the soft yard. I like the diesel machines as well but the weigh is an issue due to the lawn damage it causes here in the East. If your lawn is flat and relatively dry you would be fine with the extra weigh, if not you would soon find that the weigh is a problem in terms of traction and lawn damage due to The heavy weigh on the soft ground...

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a 997 2016 with 60 hours for a good deal. looking at the kobota zd1211 new for same money?? John Deere has the 35hp with particulate filter Kubota is 24.8 hp no filter. the Kobota I could get with the rear discharge deck. Kind of way I am leaning. Just worry about the weight of the diesel... choices choices, choices:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I found a 997 2016 with 60 hours for a good deal. looking at the kobota zd1211 new for same money?? John Deere has the 35hp with particulate filter Kubota is 24.8 hp no filter. the Kobota I could get with the rear discharge deck. Kind of way I am leaning. Just worry about the weight of the diesel... choices choices, choices:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Those are heavy machines. Hope you don't plan to mow when it's wet. Also, are you pulling a 6' finish mower with your 1025?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
This thread got me thinking about what I was seeing around here before I bought mine, and I've been noticing it's still that way today. And that is that the professional landscapers here use nothing but Skaggs (Scag) zero turns. Don't know if its a local thing or what.

I talked to some of them before buying mine and they all recommended Skaggs hands down. So I went and looked at them. They were nice machines but they just didn't appeal to me. My main requirement was that every other machine I had was diesel and I wanted a diesel ZTR. Back then that meant Kubota was about the only game in town. John Deere wasn't even a consideration as the only close dealer was just a big Ag dealer.

Skaggs had one model that you could get a diesel engine in (Kubota diesel). But the Kubota machine I wound up buying was cheaper than the Skaggs with a Kubota engine. Also the Skaggs deck-lift was manual, my ZTR321 has hydraulic lift. And the best suspension seat of anything I'd ever owned.

I haven't been in the market for 10 years so I don't know what's out there now, but I still see the same thing with the landscapers, they still use nothing but Skaggs.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are heavy machines. Hope you don't plan to mow when it's wet. Also, are you pulling a 6' finish mower with your 1025?
I pull the 72" with a 67 1020. The 72" requires around 35 hp. The 1020 is a 3 cylinder gas that is rated at 40 hp. It's a great tractor just 50 yrs old and hard to climb on.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
I just looked at a z930m a week ago. There is a step right on the deck and it's super stable when mounting/dismounting, even with the deck raised in the lock position. My first comment to my wife was just how solid the mower felt while getting on. In comparison, I also checked out a residential z540 (which approaches the price for a z915e, the entry level commercial unit). You "can" step on the deck (though there isn't a specific spot marked out), but unlike the z900 series the deck moves and doesn't feel as stable. I too found myself trying to step over the deck to get off the residential unit because I didn't like the deck wobble.

The residential line seemed flimsy and not very ergonomic when I directly compared it to the commercial line. I would have bought a z915e ($7,000) or z920m ($8,200) had my wife not liked the "familiarity of the controls" on the x590.

Z930M with deck step: (not my picture)

View attachment 388626
thanks for the epic. now that might not be that bad to get on and off. cousin's sit and spin-has nothing like that. u have to step over the deck to get on or off. i miss my X-475 -but i also miss my 62D deck on the 2520--that to me is still the better deal to be able to remove to clean. not that jacking the x-475 up and laying on cardboard to scrape the deck out wasn't to bad.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
This thread got me thinking about what I was seeing around here before I bought mine, and I've been noticing it's still that way today. And that is that the professional landscapers here use nothing but Skaggs (Scag) zero turns. Don't know if its a local thing or what.

I talked to some of them before buying mine and they all recommended Skaggs hands down. So I went and looked at them. They were nice machines but they just didn't appeal to me. My main requirement was that every other machine I had was diesel and I wanted a diesel ZTR. Back then that meant Kubota was about the only game in town. John Deere wasn't even a consideration as the only close dealer was just a big Ag dealer.

Skaggs had one model that you could get a diesel engine in (Kubota diesel). But the Kubota machine I wound up buying was cheaper than the Skaggs with a Kubota engine. Also the Skaggs deck-lift was manual, my ZTR321 has hydraulic lift. And the best suspension seat of anything I'd ever owned.

I haven't been in the market for 10 years so I don't know what's out there now, but I still see the same thing with the landscapers, they still use nothing but Skaggs.
I think a lot of this may be due to what local area dealers there are.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I think a lot of this may be due to what local area dealers there are.
I think you are right, along with how the dealer treats his customers. The Scag dealer is also a small engine repair shop and he gives priority during mowing season to the landscapers. If you take anything else in to be worked on during the mowing season you may not see it again till the middle of winter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The word "wet" doesn't necessarily describe the conditions entirely when considering the weight of the 997. I mow wet all the time because I have no choice. I also get stuck occasionally but that's because I push the envelope in areas I know I might get stuck in. Haste makes waste. I just wish I would remember that while mowing.

So, if the grass is wet, yes, I might spin the tires but I've had this mover since new, since 2009 and I know how to avoid spin, even with turf tires. If I start to sink though, that's bad news and I immediately back up or get out of the area. That doesn't happen often because I know my acreage. These are big tires; 26x12. They don't sink in wet conditions unless the ground is saturated. So, wet grass or saturated turf? The 997 is heavy but not so heavy that I can't mow sensitive areas. On the other hand, wet grass is more of an issue for me in regard to spin, which is annoying, as opposed to saturated turf, where that awful sinking feeling is encountered, which is dreadful.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
The word "wet" doesn't necessarily describe the conditions entirely when considering the weight of the 997. I mow wet all the time because I have no choice. I also get stuck occasionally but that's because I push the envelope in areas I know I might get stuck in. Haste makes waste. I just wish I would remember that while mowing.

So, if the grass is wet, yes, I might spin the tires but I've had this mover since new, since 2009 and I know how to avoid spin, even with turf tires. If I start to sink though, that's bad news and I immediately back up or get out of the area. That doesn't happen often because I know my acreage. These are big tires; 26x12. They don't sink in wet conditions unless the ground is saturated. So, wet grass or saturated turf? The 997 is heavy but not so heavy that I can't mow sensitive areas. On the other hand, wet grass is more of an issue for me in regard to spin, which is annoying, as opposed to saturated turf, where that awful sinking feeling is encountered, which is dreadful.
I thought about this - the 997 should have wider tires. I would bet the engineers try to get the same footprint on all their zero turns - the term escapes me right now. Lighter machines will have less wide tires than the heavier ones.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
I thought about this - the 997 should have wider tires. I would bet the engineers try to get the same footprint on all their zero turns - the term escapes me right now. Lighter machines will have less wide tires than the heavier ones.
Kind of depends the soil you have, down here don't think 4 or 6" wider would make a difference, when you start sinking,
you're sunk, the turf tires load up with mud in a second and you just spin deeper even if you try and reverse out of it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts