Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2016 4052R. HST Cab. 900hrs, H180 loader, R4 tires, 2 rear SCV, bucket and pallet forks, R4 fluid filled tires, rear fender extensions and front fenders, 1 owner. Tractor is about 1.5hr drive for me to pick up. Southern Iowa. Its a little dirty but in really good shape. Asking price is $42,000. I think that's awful high but I cant find another one to buy. What are your thoughts? Also if I do buy a couple of things it doesn't have that I would like information on. No radio, rear wiper, or external mirrors. Can I just install any old radio from Walmart? Are speakers already installed? Is it a big deal to add rear wiper. I do use a 72" rear snow blower, main reason looking at the cab tractor. Any complaints on the 4052R? I currently use a 2001 JD4400.
Thanks Craig.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I believe there is a thread on here about adding the rear wiper. If not, check YouTube. External mirrors are a must for me, but you will want to immediately switch sides so they are closer to the cab if you have trees. I think all the hookups for the radio area already there, but I can't speak for sure. I agree that seems a little high to me. Check some other places like tractorhouse.com for comparison prices. 900 hours is nothing, but is more than I have at 770 hours at the 6 year point. Tractors are scarce, so in the end, it is going to come down to a high priced bird in the hand compared to a ghost in the sky. Why is he selling? That can tell you a lot.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
There is about 20 of them on machine finder at Deere dealers all around the country showing up today.
Looks like the price is in the ball park, maybe a little high.

There was a 2020 model with only 10hrs for $44K in SD.
Thought that sounded like a decent buy. Lots of warranty left on that one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Price is on the high side when Mutton and Ag-Pro are listing them for 47k and 48k new. Locally there was a 16' cab 4052r for sale with 6xx hours and the asking price was 36k, which I think was more in the reasonable ball park range. For 42k and 900 hours, I would definitely pass. If I'm shelling out that kind of money than it would either need to be super low hours, close to new, or I would just be buying new. Even with the limited stock of new machines at dealers, (all though my local dealer is pretty well stocked,) I would still hold out for something new at that price.

Rick

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
300 Posts
I don't know anything else about it (might be a scam), but here is a 4052R with 2 hrs on it listed for $39.5K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Local dealer is telling me 52K plus tax, simmarly equipped and I maybe see it by September. He is selling because he wants a mini hoe. He purchased originally thinking it would be handy to unload trucks in the winter time because of the cab. He has several forklifts they are just open station and a 5065 tractor. $42 is asking price, what should I offer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did see the 4052 south of Kansas city. I am pretty sure its a scam. Little too good to be true.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
300 Posts
I did see the 4052 south of Kansas city. I am pretty sure its a scam. Little too good to be true.
It is actually over by St. Louis. If I was shopping I would sure call and listen to the story. I got a better than "too good to be true" deal on my 4052R (with 2 hrs on it) one year ago at the start of the pandemic from someone who had just purchased a pair of them for a business, and got nervous about the economy.

I called my local John Deere salesman that I had purchased a couple of tractors from, and he took the tractor serial number and buyer's name and dealer and verified the story I was told to make sure it wasn't stolen.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I don't know anything else about it (might be a scam), but here is a 4052R with 2 hrs on it listed for $39.5K.

This one is actually SW of St. Louis. The phone number appears to be valid. That is a deal similar to mine when I got my 4066R, only I also got an 8ft rear blade. I would jump on that quick. I did mine 6 years ago and have never regretted. I didn't leave until we had a deal hammered out. He delivered it the next day. There are all kinds of reasons for such a sale. In my case, the guy overextended himself and had to have the money.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did call, went directly to automated voicemail. Didn't leave message. I have done that before on things listed on craigslist and then get text back to email there sister/uncle @MAYWESCREWYOU.COM Just makes me nervous. Also that tractor is 7hrs away from me. Maybe I am just paranoid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called the owner of the 2016 4052R that I have looked at and drove for a few minutes. Offered him $35,000. He didn't say no. Said he would have to think about it and will get back to me.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
No need to be paranoid. Careful, yes. The scammers always list some god awful low price, like $1304 for something like that. They are just harvesting your phone number so they can sell it to the robocallers. If you are concerned about them knowing your number, do not leave a VM. Instead, enter *67 in front of your number which hides your number from them. If they won't ever answer the phone, then bye bye.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well he called me back. We negotiated and settled on $35,500. Maybe not a spectacular deal but I think a fair price. I tried to buy a 2006 4720 with 600hrs on auction last month and it went for $32,000. Your thoughts? Also looked for info on rear wiper on YouTube. There is vidio that I can find about replacing current wiper but not installing one new.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
oops ....i posted the duplicate add here in missouri...

·
Registered
230 Posts
That sounds more in line. Bought a new one for low 50's 6 months ago. Rear wiper can be added as well as a radio.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The rear glass should have the hole precut for the rear wiper. Possibly has a plastic plug in the hole. My rear wiper motor went out and I haven’t had the need to pay $200 for a new wiper motor. I don’t have snow to contend with.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rain ex works just fine too. Havn't the need for a rear wiper for the first year of snow plowing for me.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
i use washer wipers more for dust than i do rain or snow ......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Think I will run it for a year and then decide if I need the rear wiper. Any suggestions on what radio? Saw something on another forum about the E-pto, I thought that came on the 4052r but maybe not.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I will probably irritate some folks here but its an issue that I talk about frequently. Its the issue of "haggling" on the purchase of a used tractor or other piece of equipment. There is no shortage of advice given on how to lower the price we offer to someone who has equipment for sale. And look, I like paying the least I can for a purchase. It frees up cash for other purchases. But I like caution those who offer all of the advice on where there are cheaper products available. All of us as some point are going to be on the selling end. And when we do, look out for the those doing everything possible to drive the price as low as possible all in the interest of a great deal.

I suppose this is just the nature of supply and demand and of course sellers need to price their product based upon what the market allows.

I just think that when we coach a purchaser on where to find cheaper products we do so knowing we devalue our own. When someone is shopping for a used 4 series Deere tractor gets directed to where to find the cheapest possible we shouldn't be surprised how that drops the value of our tractors. When we go in to our Deere dealers and find out how little they want to offer us for our trade we need to understand that when we push the prices on used as low as possible the dealers will need to do the same.

Its kind of like farm equipment auctions. When a senior farmer chooses to retire and sell his beloved line of machinery that he used to make living his neighbors gather with the hope to get a piece at a bargain. Its seems a little mean spirited. But I suppose that same farmer went to an auction 40 years ago with the same goal in mind so I guess its probably normal.

Again, buying as cheap as possible is probably part of our nature. I am guilty. All I am saying is that when we help to drive the used prices as low as possible we shouldn't surprised when it drives down the price of our own equipment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts