Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help all. I am new here. I have been casually looking for a small tractor for a while.

I have found a used JD 140. It is about a 1969 model. It hasn't been used in a while, but has been kept under cover.

It is said to run, but when put in gear it moves a short distance then stops. It has a hydrostatic transmission.

It is being sold with a mower, utility blade and rotor tiller as well as parts and shop manuals.

The seller is asking $2000. Given the advice info, is that generally a good price?

What could be the issue with the transmission?
Gummed yup from sitting? Low fluid? Old and worn out?

Worst case scenario, what would be an approximate cost to rebuild the transmission - assuming that is possible?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
A 69 has a serial number under 30,000. It also has the old style hydro that’s impossible to find parts for, but it sounds like it’s the engine to driveshaft clutch that’s the issue. That’s also not easy to find, but I’ve heard rumors they can be deleted.

$2000 in my area would be full price for a ready to use tractor, that varies by region.

Reactions: Trebor

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
311 Posts
Welcome! Pictures would be nice. Couple of things you can easily check. There should be a transmission oil dip stick located in the rear deck, kind of under the seat. And secondly there is a black knob in front of the seat that should be turned counter clockwise. That one opens and closes the valve that allows you to tow the tractor without damaging the transmission. As for price, is it a H1 or H3, and location seems to dictate. In my location in SW Michigan $2k seems a little high, so there might be some room to negotiate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm supposed to go see it on Thursday. The tractor and I are in SE Alabama.

I'm mainly interested as a tractor that I can use with the tiller and utility blade.

So far it sounds a bit to expensive and maybe difficult to fix/find parts for.

I guess that shouldn't be unusual for a 50+ year old machine.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
On a 69 the knob is under the seat, and you turn it clockwise.

30,000 has the knob in front of the seat that screws the opposite way.

Reactions: Trebor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple of pictures that I downloaded from the Craigslist ad...

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
That is a 68 or 69 h1.

If the decal on the left of the hood is original that tractor is a 69 and wasn’t green when it left the factory.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the info and replies. I think that this is a pretty cool little machine, but I'm more interest in something that I can reliably use now for work around it home as well as small projects for others.

I am concerned that this machine, at this price will require more work and time than I'm willing to give at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts