Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning.

I currently have a 2006 3520 with 1700 hours currently that I bought used (1200 hours when bought). It has a WR Long 4N1 bucket on the front that I really like and use extensively.

I have 12 acres in SC (yeah, hot down here) with 8 acres or so hay fields and the rest "under construction" including a just finished new house and shed/workshop.

If I had known how much I would end up liking the 3520 I would have found/bought one a bit newer with less hours and wouldn't be thinking about trading in/up.

1) I am 60+ and plan that this will be the last LCUT tractor I buy.
2) I turn my own wrenches and don't mind working on stuff as long as it isn't every time I want to use the D--- thing.
3) The 3520 has/is serving me well and I don't "need" to change, but who doesn't like new (to me) stuff?
4) If I buy another, I might as well go to the 3720/3046 for the extra HP while tilling, mowing fields etc.
5) I have an old JD 210 backhoe that I bought just to do the heavy clearing and plan to sell, especially if I get a BH attachment with/for the new tractor.
6) I don't have any experience with Tier4/DPF but it doesn't scare me other than having one more "technical" system that can break, especially long term.

What I would like to understand is the pros and cons of a low hour (~500) 3720 vs 3046R? No Cab, Loader, possibly BH.

They seem "similarly" priced for similarly equipped, hours, condition.

It would be great to hear from anybody that has owned both 3720 and 3046R and first hand +/- of each.

Thanks in advance.
Del

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
I am also about the same age and have the same attitude - what I buy now is the last.

So if you like your current tractor setup why buy another? 1700 hours on these machines is nothing to be afraid of especially since you know it putting the last 500 hours on it. Yeah, maybe some little nickel/dime stuff here and there but you did say you like wrenching on them.....

Buying another used tractor could possibly put you into someone else’s problem child.

I have a 12 year old 2520 that is the perfect size for me and my property. This is my last machine although I didn’t think that when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
I would have to agree with Coaltrain. 1700 hours is nothing on a tractor. I bought mine used, 3000 hours and 2500 hours.

Also you are not changing "frame size" only adding a few more HP so not much gain.

The pros: Newer, less hours, more HP

The cons: May be buying someone's problems, cost, a tractor to sell or trade, the 3520

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have to agree with Coaltrain. 1700 hours is nothing on a tractor. I bought mine used, 3000 hours and 2500 hours.

Also you are not changing "frame size" only adding a few more HP so not much gain.

The pros: Newer, less hours, more HP

The cons: May be buying someone's problems, cost, a tractor to sell or trade, the 3520
Good logic and I (and probably my bride if she knew what I was up to) would agree with you and Coaltrain.

I was hoping to find one with a backhoe and then I could sell off the old 210 BH sooner rather than later. If people think Green parts are expensive they should try the JD yellow ones.

Again, logic says I wouldn't use the backhoe enough to justify the increase in cost, but it is sure nice having one available. Once you have one it seems harder to do without.

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
Good logic and I (and probably my bride if she knew what I was up to) would agree with you and Coaltrain.

I was hoping to find one with a backhoe and then I could sell off the old 210 BH sooner rather than later. If people think Green parts are expensive they should try the JD yellow ones.

Again, logic says I wouldn't use the backhoe enough to justify the increase in cost, but it is sure nice having one available. Once you have one it seems harder to do without.
I’ve never had a backhoe but have done fine without. We’ve lived at this place for 22 years now - there have been a couple times I could have used one but got by doing it another way.

But for some reason I now want one. As I said earlier I don’t want a different or new tractor. Mine has been bullet proof. But now trying to find a backhoe is proving difficult. I did find one last week but it is 1450 miles away in Nebraska - just can’t commit the $6k plus probably close to $1k shipping.

There are a lot of people on this forum - especially 1 series owners - who seem to quickly trade in their 2 or 3 year old tractor for a new one. Sometimes it’s for a backhoe that they didn’t get originally. Rolling the cost into a new 0% purchase makes it seem so easy I guess. But I am at the point in my life where I refuse to have payments again. Been there/done that most of my life.

So here I sit without a backhoe mostly because of my stubbornness.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
stubbornness is good
you don't need no stinkin backhoe, you have already proved it. :cheers:

Now me, I need a backhoe. :laugh:
Well, make that, I want a backhoe, but not for no 1 series.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good Morning.

1) I am 60+ and plan that this will be the last LCUT tractor I buy.

Del
Del, I can't help you as far as any experience with the mentioned machines but the above statement tells me you'd like a new tractor.
Like Mama says, if it makes yer heart happy, do it.

However, I think you'll be more satisfied keeping your dedicated hoe and forget about a put on, take off, job for a tractor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Del, I can't help you as far as any experience with the mentioned machines but the above statement tells me you'd like a new tractor.
Like Mama says, if it makes yer heart happy, do it.

However, I think you'll be more satisfied keeping your dedicated hoe and forget about a put on, take off, job for a tractor.

Hadn't given the "now I have to take off the "X" and put on the BH to dig a one scoop hole" issue much thought.

As I ponder this......I leave the loader on more than I should (bush hog, mowing) since the tractor handles it well and I am always "moving something unexpectedly" with it while the tractor is out.

The BH I bought is old and worn, not quite worn out, but I don't need anything that big anymore and I hate the thought of one day it will just stop moving.

Seems like we always get in these predicaments. Not enough toys, oops I mean required equipment, to do what we want and then after we get too many "motors" around it's time to cull the herd.

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
For myself - if I get a backhoe for my 2520 it will become a dedicated tractor/loader/backhoe. No more mowing or brush hogging with it as it is not nearly as user friendly to install and remove like the newer models.

Of course that would mean a new dedicated mowing machine. One thing leads to another.....

When I bought my 2520 new back some 12 years the salesman asked me a couple times if I was sure I didn’t want a backhoe. At that time I was an equipment operator for the state - was running full size backhoe, loader, excavator, etc. Looking at the backhoe on another 2520 on the lot - I thought what a joke it was - like a little toy.

I feel a bit differently now as digging anything by hand is long gone....

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
I’ve never had a backhoe but have done fine without. We’ve lived at this place for 22 years now - there have been a couple times I could have used one but got by doing it another way.

But for some reason I now want one. As I said earlier I don’t want a different or new tractor. Mine has been bullet proof. But now trying to find a backhoe is proving difficult. I did find one last week but it is 1450 miles away in Nebraska - just can’t commit the $6k plus probably close to $1k shipping.

There are a lot of people on this forum - especially 1 series owners - who seem to quickly trade in their 2 or 3 year old tractor for a new one. Sometimes it’s for a backhoe that they didn’t get originally. Rolling the cost into a new 0% purchase makes it seem so easy I guess. But I am at the point in my life where I refuse to have payments again. Been there/done that most of my life.

$7K is lot of $$$$. Last time I needed a BH, I paid $65/hr, 4hr minimum and had 6 big stumps dug out. Some were so big I could not move them with the 2030's loader (my brush hog was not enough ballast) It was cheaper than the stump grinder guy wanted (he charges by the inch of stump) and they are OUT!

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
$7K is lot of $$$$. Last time I needed a BH, I paid $65/hr, 4hr minimum and had 6 big stumps dug out. Some were so big I could not move them with the 2030's loader (my brush hog was not enough ballast) It was cheaper than the stump grinder guy wanted (he charges by the inch of stump) and they are OUT!
That’s what I’ve been telling myself all along. The only hard part is finding that elusive contractor with a backhoe to hire....

I also have some long runs of S&D pipe underground which at one time drained underground springs from the lawn area. Then haven’t had a drop of water come out in years even after our record rains last fall. I’d like to dig them up and replace but don’t want to pay a machine and operator to do that. I would enjoy doing it myself.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a 2018 3046R with a cab, loader, 72" MMM and backhoe. Love the machine, especially the cab!

This probably isn't what you want to hear.

As someone on here said recently, the worst backhoe is still better than the best shovel. :lol:

Since you already have a construction grade backhoe, I would put whatever you were planning to spend on upgrading the tractor, into repairing the 210 backhoe. It is more capable than a backhoe for a 3 series tractor. It has more digging force and capacity. Going from it to a backhoe attachment will leave you disappointed.

Jeff

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have a Takeuchi TB 135 miniex that makes us a living. We love it, but it could always be bigger.

I have a cabbed 3520 that works on the farm and we love it. I wouldn't trade anything off with 1700 hours on it, that's just not very many hours. Life is short, you only live once, so just go buy yourself a new 3046R, or a used 4520/4720 with cab and be done with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a Takeuchi TB 135 miniex that makes us a living. We love it, but it could always be bigger.

I have a cabbed 3520 that works on the farm and we love it. I wouldn't trade anything off with 1700 hours on it, that's just not very many hours. Life is short, you only live once, so just go buy yourself a new 3046R, or a used 4520/4720 with cab and be done with it.
I have just started to think about 1) a Cab and 2) a 4 series.

A couple of others in the thread swear by the Cab (did I mention I am in South Carolina and it's HOT). I haven't considered a Cab in the past but would probably go to a 4 series for the extra HP and stability.

Seems like the prices on 3720 thru 4720 are only marginally different and more dependent on hours and condition than model.

Do you have any hills/slopes that seem to give the 3520 a tipping feeling?

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
That’s what I’ve been telling myself all along. The only hard part is finding that elusive contractor with a backhoe to hire....

I also have some long runs of S&D pipe underground which at one time drained underground springs from the lawn area. Then haven’t had a drop of water come out in years even after our record rains last fall. I’d like to dig them up and replace but don’t want to pay a machine and operator to do that. I would enjoy doing it myself.
Can you rent something? Mini excavator, compact tractor with a hoe?

A couple of others in the thread swear by the Cab (did I mention I am in South Carolina and it's HOT). I haven't considered a Cab in the past but would probably go to a 4 series for the extra HP and stability.

Seems like the prices on 3720 thru 4720 are only marginally different and more dependent on hours and condition than model.

Upgrade for cab, and/or bigger frame size makes more sense than for new or less hours.

·
Registered
193 Posts

I'm right here...…………

http://www.sandhilldozer.com:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::greentractorride::greentractorride::gizmo:

·
Registered
193 Posts

Several reasons for a cab:

1) In 2016 I got ate up by hornets mowing mom's grass w/1025R in town. Stung over 25 times in head. It sucked.

2) Cabs provide more safety in a rollover.

3) In 2018 we bought our cabbed 3520, and mow on 500 acres with it. Bumble Bees got after me 3 times. They did not succeed.

4) Quieter in a cab, more productive mowing and has a radio for Pandora!!!

The 3 series use the same Mauser cab as a 4 series. The front axle knuckles are the same parts as a 4 series, so very stout little tractor.(3032E does not have same axle, is smaller)

The front end loader on a 3520 (300CX aka H165 aka 320R) is very well built, reaches into my 10 wheel dump truck, and has good lifting capacity.

I haven't noticed any tipping tendencies with the 3520, and most of you would freak out if you had to follow me while brushogging. Our land isn't flat, and we mow brush and trees with the MX5. I am very pleased with the 3520, and will buy another one, or a 4520 or 4720. The 4720 had the old 4045T engine in it at 66hp, and that is one heck of fine engine.(nothing wrong with a Yanmar.)

I operate/own heavy equipment for a living, so I "push the red" quite often. Grew up farming, plowing, planting cutting hay. All on Dad's Allis Chalmers 160, started driving it at age 7. Have logged 300k miles on dump trucks, gating gravel out, offroad, run the miniex, Cat D4c in places a tractor won't go, and build ponds with a wheel loader.

So the 3520 isn't tippy.

We did add 2 rear wheel weights to the 3520 per side, I want to go to 3 per side. The weights did wonders to stability on the 3520 while running the front end loader, but proper ballast on the 3 point is required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shop around, I recently purchased used 1025r TLB and a 3046r TL for the same price as a new 3046r TL. The 1025r (2014) had 400 hrs. on it and is great for small drainage projects, horse barn clean out, and small stump removal. Not perfect, but in nice shape (Wife & Kids tractor). The 3046r (2016) had 81 hrs on it and the only way I could tell the difference from the new one parked next to it was by looking at the hour meter. It still had the mold flashing on the tires, 1 hr. on the pto, and loader bucket never used (My tractor). Both were purchased from a JD dealer about 4 hrs. away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts