Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife bought a 12 xuv 550 S4 3 yrs ago , have about 185 hrs and it has been a fair to good machine. Been thinking of trading it or selling straight out and buying something else.
Been looking at either the Honda 700 Pioneer 4 seater or Polaris Ranger Crew 570. Main thing looking at getting a water cooled and maybe power steering, and staying around the 11-13000 range.

I know not JD

·
Administrator
17,289 Posts
Have you looked at the Kubota RTV's?

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some what ,,,If we do this ,, after today looking at both machines it would be the Honda Hands down.. With a 3 speed transmission same as driving a car. No comparison to the CVT .

After getting home this afternoon , my dealer called me and gave her trade in amount. So she asked me why I was wanting to trade and I told her because of the SH_ _ e motor or carb on the motor that is a PIA .
She says wait a minute ,,"What are you talking about , why didn't I tell her when it was in warranty. " Told her I had been talking to the shop foreman and he claimed he or JD wouldn't and couldn't do anything to replace the carb or the engine"

So after a few more minutes of telling her how the machine was acting and not idling at times backfiring at times she is contacting her TM OR what ever her Fat. Tech is called.

I told her wasn't asking for a free fix but this thing has run this way since new.

So now waiting to her from her and see what or if JD will do anything. If you try to tramp the gas pedal it will back fire sometime stalls , or might run might not.

Oh and I've run just about every type of gas treatment since day one ,even running prem fuel now instead of reg see no differences.

It will be 3yrs old Fri of this week and , maybe the right person here on site can get Deere to do what they should have 35 mos ago. I'm even willing to pay some amount just don't think we should have to pay for a deft B&S engine.

I'm done. :dunno::dunno: :munch::munch:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,086 Posts
etcallhome, Suppose they get it fixed, would you keep it?

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Sounds like you'd be happy with the rig if it were running properly. Looks like you've got a v-twin engine on the 12 JD XUV 550 S4. Before I'd do anything rash and expensive there are a couple of things I'd check:

• Remove both spark plugs and check condition and gap. Insulators should be near white to light tan color. Check gap to spec and adjust if necessary. If the plugs are dark / black replace them.
  • Check spark using a spark tester which is an adjustable gap test plug. You can buy one for $15 at an auto parts store. You should be getting a nice blue spark and should have 15-25 KV potential.
  • Check and / or replace the fuel filter.
  • Remove the carburetor and fully disassemble it. Clean all passages. Check float drop and level. Adjust if necessary. You may want to remove the idle mixture screw limiter to allow for a slightly richer idle mixture adjustment.
  • Check compression. Each cylinder should be within 10% of each other.
  • Valves may be tight and need adjustment
If you're not comfortable with the carb work you could send it to me and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Frank

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have Kubota RTVs at work that I maintain and use. They are a great workhorse with a strong dump box. However they a very heavy for a side by side. Great around the yard but not something to be doing trail rides or riding fence lines with.

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
etcallhome, Suppose they get it fixed, would you keep it?
Oh, we like the machine , it seems to be built like a full size Gator just in a smaller size. Yes we would keep it if we can just the carb ---engine trouble fixed.

Sounds like you'd be happy with the rig if it were running properly. Looks like you've got a v-twin engine on the 12 JD XUV 550 S4. Before I'd do anything rash and expensive there are a couple of things I'd check:

• Remove both spark plugs and check condition and gap. Insulators should be near white to light tan color. Check gap to spec and adjust if necessary. If the plugs are dark / black replace them.
  • Check spark using a spark tester which is an adjustable gap test plug. You can buy one for $15 at an auto parts store. You should be getting a nice blue spark and should have 15-25 KV potential.
  • Check and / or replace the fuel filter.
  • Remove the carburetor and fully disassemble it. Clean all passages. Check float drop and level. Adjust if necessary. You may want to remove the idle mixture screw limiter to allow for a slightly richer idle mixture adjustment.
  • Check compression. Each cylinder should be within 10% of each other.
  • Valves may be tight and need adjustment
If you're not comfortable with the carb work you could send it to me and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Frank

In order,
I would think the dealer had checked the plugs , it was in the shop at least 5 times for the same issue

Have a spark plug tester,,, I didn't think to take the plugs out and see how they looked.

Just replaced the fuel filter Monday afternoon .. After replacing the filter noticed the new filter didn't fill up wasn't pumping fuel. At that time just had one of the clamps up on the filter. Took the filter back off made sure it was on the correct way , it was , put both clamps on and then it did start to fill the filter. Still missed, added some fuel stabilizer remembered I hadn't went I put a couple of gallons in tank.. When I bought the prem fuel I had added stabilizer and didn't think it would hurt since it was 2 maybe 3 mos old.

Neighbor has a good friend that does lawn mower repair, if Deere won't help me out , going to see if he would be willing to check the engine.

Last evening started the Gator, after the third cranking,,,sometimes it will start on the first cranking. Every since it was new, the choke has a strange (at least to me) filling. Other engines I've owned with a pull choke the choke cable would stay in the position it was pulled to, not this one you pull the choke release the handle and it goes back to the original position. ????
As for running rich ,,I think it has ben running rich since new. Since we have the full canopy we can smell or get the burning stinging in our eyes from the exhaust in the cab.
Yes have mentioned this to the shop and mechanic everytime it was in the shop. Shop foreman even stopped one evening and said he changed the carb settings.

Once the engine is running as in earlier postings , one time it will idle for say 15 min, if break is set and forget it is set give it gas it will stall sometimes backfire before it stalls.
Next time it may idle 15 secs try giving it gas , backfires still same results.

Thanks for all the helpful tips , just waiting to hear now from dealer. The machine seems to be a well made machine. Will admit they had to change the shift cable and the belt setup for hard shifting issues . Since these were changed a total different machine for shifting from R to L or D.
Going on vac at the end of the week , so not planning on getting anything done for a couple of weeks.

Will keep updating and depending on Deere or the friends mechanic ,may take you up on the offer of sending you the carb.. Thanks for the offer. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
10-4. Typically these small air cooled gas engines tend to run lean as set from the factory or when the carb accumulates some debris. Yours would have to be extremely rich to the point of causing a "misfire" before you could smell it though. Too rich = Excessive CO which is colorless & odorless. If yours is running rich the color of the plugs would indicate that. They'd be dark-black. If they're white - tan it's not rich. If the plugs look OK and you can smell exhaust you may have a "lean misfire" due to a vacuum leak or too lean mixture.

After about 10 years my DR Brush Mower w. 17 HP Kawasaki V-Twin started running funny. Surging idle and slow ramp up and occasional back-fire to full throttle rpm. I checked it out and everything looked OK. Compression was good. Plugs looked like new. Drained the carb and it was clean as a whistle, no debris. I pulled the valve covers and found all the vales to be tight. I readjusted the valves according to spec and now we're A-OK. No plugs, carb work or anything else required.

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked with BIL last evening ,x auto mechanic, now coal miner, his first response and same as the dealer ,,,OH ITs the gas causing all the problems. Strange, have used the daughters FIL x585 and three different push mowers always put fuel stabilizer and have had no issues.
Yes will agree the fuel is not like the old days but it should not be running the way this piece of SH_ _ has been running. Agree if all Deeres run like this , they all need to be shot and get them out of there misery.

Thanks again , might take the plugs out and see what they look like.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,086 Posts
etcallhome, Back in 2002 I had an issue with our Kohler Command Pro (from day one)..........
You never know and the dealers may or may not know, my Toro dealer didn't know of any issues. The eXmark Rep knew about it and sent me the service bulletin. Just sayin.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=32463

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
etcallhome, Back in 2002 I had an issue with our Kohler Command Pro (from day one)..........
You never know and the dealers may or may not know, my Toro dealer didn't know of any issues. The eXmark Rep knew about it and sent me the service bulletin. Just sayin.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=32463
Thanks,,, I only glanced at that site, but over the next few days or week will register and see what I can find. :bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,086 Posts
Thanks,,, I only glanced at that site, but over the next few days or week will register and see what I can find. :bigthumb:
My point was for you to read the linked thread I stated over there in 2002 (not a long thread at all). We had a new Toro Zmaster mower that had a problem from day one. The fix was simple but no one seemed to know about it or didn't want to admit knowing about it. Couple of days later I was good to go.

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Going on vac at the end of the week, so not planning on getting anything done for a couple of weeks.

Will keep updating and depending on Deere or the friends mechanic ,may take you up on the offer of sending you the carb.. Thanks for the offer. :bigthumb:
Going on vacation? From retirement???

Maybe I'm missing something. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My point was for you to read the linked thread I stated over there in 2002 (not a long thread at all). We had a new Toro Zmaster mower that had a problem from day one. The fix was simple but no one seemed to know about it or didn't want to admit knowing about it. Couple of days later I was good to go.
Going on vacation? From retirement???

Thanks Gizmo , did read the thread. The air filter is about the size of the one on 1026r. Haven't seen any changes on air filter and like I said not sure of a change of carb .

I was going to check plug removed one of the Gator panels to get to engine,, seems like oil being thrown on one side of the engine. Guessing maybe head gasket GONE AGAIN maybe push rod ? or valve? Still waiting to hear from Deere and BS.

OK OK, not going on vacation..... going to leave house for several days. OK :munch:

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Originally Posted by Superglidesport Going on vacation? From retirement???

:dunno:well I don't think their's nothing wrong with going on vacation, even if u are retired!!:greencart: big jim

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Last evening started the Gator, after the third cranking,,,sometimes it will start on the first cranking. Every since it was new, the choke has a strange (at least to me) filling. Other engines I've owned with a pull choke the choke cable would stay in the position it was pulled to, not this one you pull the choke release the handle and it goes back to the original position. ????
etcallhome; funny u should say about ur choke working like this, on my Honda foreman the coke worked the same way, won't stay out the whole way, u had to hold it. had a neighbor who used to work at Honda, took it to him, and he said Honda had a lot of trouble with the salt air affecting them on the boat ride over,:think: now it worked for a couple of yrs but it's back doing the same thing to a degree, but at least it works. now for thre backfiring, when the Honda started to backfire riding around the yard, I just thought it was old gas and my seafoam was working to burn old water in the gas. well it turned out to be the timing chain and the little gears bit the dust on easter sunday a couple of years ago. spent roughly $800.00 to fix the thing.i hope u don't have that serios of a issure. big jim

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
etcallhome; funny u should say about ur choke working like this, on my Honda foreman the coke worked the same way, won't stay out the whole way, u had to hold it. had a neighbor who used to work at Honda, took it to him, and he said Honda had a lot of trouble with the salt air affecting them on the boat ride over,:think: now it worked for a couple of yrs but it's back doing the same thing to a degree, but at least it works. now for thre backfiring, when the Honda started to backfire riding around the yard, I just thought it was old gas and my seafoam was working to burn old water in the gas. well it turned out to be the timing chain and the little gears bit the dust on easter sunday a couple of years ago. spent roughly $800.00 to fix the thing.i hope u don't have that serios of a issure. big jim
Hoping I don't have a big bill, either way some or all the cost of repair or 3-5 yrs of payments....

Worst thing , looking at B&S site if engine is on a commercial machine the warranty is 3 yrs. Wife bought it 3 yrs ago this coming Fri. Sells person said it might take a day or two to get a answer !

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've started using premium fuel in a lot of my smaller engines. The ethanol they are adding to fuel can really mess things up and make gas go bad is as little as 3 months.

You might want to try a tank just to see.

·
Premium Member
14,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've started using premium fuel in a lot of my smaller engines. The ethanol they are adding to fuel can really mess things up and make gas go bad is as little as 3 months.

You might want to try a tank just to see.
Been using prem fuel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts