Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a couple weekends in row or heck the past few months this mowing season, spending 3-4 hours per week on the X758 trimming around the property, with high humidity and heat indexes over 100, I started really kicking myself for letting my old cab 3039R with its MMM go.

Coupled with a few sun burns and miserable allergy filled nights.
I am really thinking there is another cab 3R with a mid mount mower soon returning to the stable more like ASAP. LOL

Last year mowing went like this 1-1.5 hours with 4066R and the batwing, 1-1.5 hours with the 3039R and its MMM and 1hr tidying up the really hard places to get into using the X758.
Now its 1-1.5 hours with the batwing pulled with a 5M and then 3-4 hours trimming with the X758.
I know I am spoiled at this point.
I just can't help it, I now really do like a cab machine whenever possible. LOL

Looking at the build and price tools on the Deere website and the area dealer websites I am not seeing on any of them the option of an hybrid turf radial for the 3Rs. I knew it was now a factory option on all the 1,2,2+ models but not seeing it on the 3R. Is anyone aware of a hybrid turf being offered from the factory on the 3Rs.

I am actually thinking of skipping the loader option all together on this build. Since all my other machines have loaders, doubt I ever use this machine for anything more then Mowing, spraying, maybe some wood chipping or stump grinding.
I sure wish we had that large frame EU/UK 2R model with the factory cab available here in the US. Or they had at least upgraded the 3R with some of the features off that large frame 2. That command select mower system is so much nicer then the old holey slide bar and pin deal we get with the current cab 3Rs with Mid mount mowers.

I am guessing that if the hybrid radials are still off the table I will go back with the larger 43" R4s, that added height was very important for the the MMM to have any ground clearance at all when raised. I think I may still go with a 3rd and 4th function and likely to the top and tilt kit. It shows that it is controlled with loader joystick, and I do have a hydraulic blade that all that combined could be very handy for grading work in the winter, spring and or fall whenever not using the mower deck on it.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
haha, I just like your style! :)

I have a similar mowing method, on a slightly smaller scale. As I get older, a cab, or maybe cabs, are getting closer.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Does anyone have a 60" MMM on a 3R.
I learned with my 54" MMM on the 2025R, that it has more clearance then the 60" when it comes to the rear tires and using wheel spacers. Which having had two other cab 3Rs in the past, I know 100% that spacers are a must. I had the 72" before and max spacer size was 3", I think this time I may limit that to 2.5 unless the 60" deck is shaped so rear tire clearances are no longer an issue.

That was what I learned with the 2025R , the 54" deck is shaped different form the 60" deck, so have more rear tire clearance with the 54" deck then you have with the 60". I think I am seeing something similar happening with the 60D vs the 72D where the 3Rs are concerned. Been difficult to confirm this but I think that is what I am seeing.

In this pic of a 3R with a 72" MMM you can see how that left rear gage wheel is setting outside the left rear tire.
That is where you run into clearance issues with wheel spacers. However I know from experience these cab 3Rs need wheel spacers badly. For myself rear spacers will be a must have item. Yes, I know mother Deere's recommendation against them on 3Rs. I value my safety over Deere's recommendation and would much rather be safe then sorry.

This is a 60" pic and not the best angle, but it looks like with the 60" that shape of the deck is different and the rear tire might clear it. Still needing to find more pics and details on this.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deer does make something similar. Never seen one in person. I think I did price one out once a long time ago.
If I recall it made the 3046R look cheap.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The 1575 starts around 40k without a deck, but it would honestly be a better mower than a 3046/3039. Have seen some complaints about grass getting built up underneath them with fastback decks. Some of the local municipalities use them and put loads of hours on em before trading.

Deere does not offer but Goodyear makes the R14 radial hybrid in the right sizes for a 3r. Something for you to potentially look into.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1575 starts around 40k without a deck, but it would honestly be a better mower than a 3046/3039. Have seen some complaints about grass getting built up underneath them with fastback decks. Some of the local municipalities use them and put loads of hours on em before trading.

Deere does not offer but Goodyear makes the R14 radial hybrid in the right sizes for a 3r. Something for you to potentially look into.
I looked at that R14Ts last night, I was not finding the sizes needed in radials. I did limited the search on the Goodyear website to radials only.
I found these for the rear that are very similar. Never heard of the brand though.
Alliance 550, in a 405/70R20 is about the same size as the 43" rear bias ply R4s , have not found anything for the front yet that would be similar in a 27" tire. Most sizes I am finding are 30-31" Which that may be ok just have to study the deck clearance carefully, I am not to worried about a couple inches effecting the lead lag of the 4wd, there is typically pretty broad allowances already made for in these tractors lead lag requirements.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh Boy! I did not realize you have your own dealership! Hahaha 🤣
P.S. Sorry for making you see red ! 😎
😂 lol
No worries.
You have got me thinking again about a Deere 1585 . Been watching videos this evening on them. I am really more of a tractor nut . So I am still leaning toward another 3R .

But that Deere 1585 is really a nice rig . Especially like that 72” flex deck . That would be awesome on my ditches , plus it’s 4wd and looks like tire sizes might be comparable with carsile versaturf tires .
you can also option duals for added traction and stability

·
Registered
323 Posts
I looked at that R14Ts last night, I was not finding the sizes needed in radials. I did limited the search on the Goodyear website to radials only.
I found these for the rear that are very similar. Never heard of the brand though.
Alliance 550, in a 405/70R20 is about the same size as the 43" rear bias ply R4s , have not found anything for the front yet that would be similar in a 27" tire. Most sizes I am finding are 30-31" Which that may be ok just have to study the deck clearance carefully, I am not to worried about a couple inches effecting the lead lag of the 4wd, there is typically pretty broad allowances already made for in these tractors lead lag requirements.
I dont know what I was looking at the other night then, do they make a bias option? I could have sworn sizes were correct.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know what I was looking at the other night then, do they make a bias option? I could have sworn sizes were correct.
Yea, the R14T is a little confusing, some are radial and some are bias ply. I too originally thought all were radial but then noticed what looked like some bias ply sizes shown. Then I noticed the heading shows they are offered in both Radial and Bias ply.

Here are all the Radial sizes the R14T is offered in.

Here is all the Bias ply sizes the R14T is offered in.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Magenta Parallel

At the bottom of the page you can search for Radial or bias then sort by product lines
The above screen captures is the result of using that tool to sort out which ones are radial and which ones are Bias ply.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now as far as figuring on a radial tire for the front of a 3R, I am now seeing a lot of choices out there in radial construction up to 10 ply with similar tread to the hybrid radials I was looking for, only they are found searching in the UTV tire market not the tractor tire market. Not sure what if any draw backs are, maybe weight capacity, but 10 ply tire that is DOT rated should handle about anything a 3R could lift or carry on its loader.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
A front mower would be a good dedicated mower option. I like mowing with the Fastback deck but it makes a mess of the machine.

Pic of my 4wd 1570 w/72" Fastback and the Grasshopper GH725D it replaced:

Second that, I have only run a front mount mower a few times. They are the bomb! I would consider a front mount mower a step up from a zero turn for large mowing areas. Drawback is size and cost, that's why in my opinion, the commercial guys use zero turns and stand up models.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For my purposes, the only reason the 1585 is even an option that I have back on the table this time around, is that I noticed in the specs yesterday that the 1585 is a 4wd machine, which is unlike any of the Zs.

I had a diesel Z9 for all of about 3-4 months, got it stuck 3 times the first time I mowed with it, and many times more after that till it got traded off , could not hold a slop for s%&^. I don't think I would take another Z even if it were free. LOL
So that Z9 is what later became the X758, which the X758 does all that extreme slope, ditch bank, pond bank, tight quarters stuff very well.

2 years now and only got my X758 stuck once, which that was very much my own fault, pushed it a little too close to the pond bank . LOL

Which with the 1585 having a deck out front you can lift all the way up and set it down on the bank with out putting any of the drive tires in the mud.
There are some solid up sides to the 1585 for sure over any other mower I have ever looked at.
Kicker would be its pretty much only good for mowing, none of my other attachments would work on it at all. Where I have sprayers, wood chippers, stump grinders, brush cutters, angle blades, just all sorts of options uses for the 3R even if I option it without a loader.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well so far shot craps at all my regular dealers in my area, none of them have any of the above 3046R, 3039R, nor a 1585 in stock at any of their locations.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Talk to guy you bought your 5115M from he might know of one sitting in a corner somewhere. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
There are a few low hour 3Rs out there on machine finder.
I am thinking of giving a GM1190 3pt finish mower a try behind the 4066R. See how that does.
Who knows if it works really well, might use save myself $35-40k.lol
‘That’s if I can find one of those.
If I find one and hate it, I think might just order a 1585 with a flex deck for next years mowing season

All the dealers around here are telling me Dec maybe November ETA at best on a 3R sold retail order.

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 20 of 76 Posts