Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at tire options on here and on Ebay and one that I had found seems like it would be a good fit but maybe too aggressive not sure. I am leaning toward a more traditional R4 like what comes on a 1023,1025 sub compact.

option 1

s-l1600.jpg

option 2 a more conventional likely a little less aggressive lug pattern or they look less aggressive since they appear to be more tightly spaced.

s-l1600.jpg

What do you all think about these two options.

I also noticed it appeared that there were tweels available with an R4 tread, only not sure if the bolt pattern is available. Not sure about sizing in R4 Tweels.
s-l500.jpg

Anyone know the bolt pattern of a 997R?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Have you considered HDAPS? R4 can leave some marks and don't offer a lot of traction in the mud. I am not sure R4's are the best for a ZTR.

·
Premium Member
10,139 Posts
I put these on my 915.

Well ok, the picture won't load so you'll have to google them. :banghead:

They are Carlisle HD Field Trax.

They do much better than the turf's except when in the pond mud. Nothing works there, trust me.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I don't see the advantage of going with an R4 on a ZTrak either. I think they would be too slick. Maybe if you got that loaner grooving tool that is going around and add siping.

I would stick with a turf tire or a HDAP tire.

As for tweels. You need to watch a couple things on them. Bolt pattern as you mentioned but also the load rating. It isn't like a traditional tire where you can inflate or deflate it to get the right amount of sag to provide traction. The lower the air pressure the bigger the contact patch and better traction. So if you went with one of those that was designed for say a much heavier bobcat, it would be like driving around with 50psi in the tires. Go with one designed for a lighter machine and you will get too much deflection and it may damage the "spokes" in the twheels.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't really see why an R4 would not improve the traction on slopes and in wet or light mud when compared to the turf tires it came with.

I have found that since I cant really see the drive tires from the operator station, I find quite often that I cant really tell when they are slipping or packing up with mud till its too late and I am stuck.

The R4s seem to do well on the 1023E and the 3033R, with not tearing up the grass while providing decent traction on slopes and in buddy terrain.

I have some UTV tires that I am not using that I think would fit on the 997R , just not sure if they would really help or just tear up the lawn.

682672-tr-2-maxxis-ceros-rear-tires-2-tires-2.jpg

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you considered HDAPS? R4 can leave some marks and don't offer a lot of traction in the mud. I am not sure R4's are the best for a ZTR.
Those look like an ATV tire. Are those rated to handle the weight of a 997R, It weighs just under a ton (2000lbs) With average adult male operator on board it would be easily over a ton.

IMG_20140619_194205927_zps506f9265.jpg

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Those look like an ATV tire. Are those rated to handle the weight of a 997R, It weighs just under a ton (2000lbs) With average adult male operator on board it would be easily over a ton.

View attachment 697722
People use HDAP tires on 1 Series. It just isn't an option from JD.

My concern I guess with the R4 is going to mainly be with lateral traction. When you are crabbing across a hill. The bars on a R4 make for a pretty big, flat footprint. If you don't deal with cross slope cutting much and it is mainly flat ground they would probably do just fine.

If you do go with a R4 style keep this in mind.

R4 Tire Siping/Grooving for Improved Traction

The New GTT Tire Grooving Tool Lending Program

The HDAP is a bit more aggressive than the stock turf but if you take it easy with 3 pt turns you should be fine.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,094 Posts
I put these on my 915.

They are Carlisle HD Field Trax.

They do much better than the turf's except when in the pond mud. Nothing works there, trust me.
:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,094 Posts
I have been looking at tire options on here and on Ebay and one that I had found seems like it would be a good fit but maybe too aggressive not sure. I am leaning toward a more traditional R4 like what comes on a 1023,1025 sub compact.

option 1

Been there done that, forget about those. Ain't worth a damn on hard dry lawns.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
I see you mentioned the R4 Tweels. I believe these are mainly for skid steer loaders. I was watching a video today from Dirt Monkey and he had a newer Volvo skid steer with Tweels and was commenting how they seem to have much less traction compared to a conventional air-filled tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts