Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am down in the Houston TX area and found a 318 tractor but no luck finding either a deck for it or a PTO deck.

Anyone have any info on one or the other?

I am really good at fabrication and am even willing to take my old MTD deck and turn it into a PTO deck but not sure about what PTO gear boxes would work. I know it is a 2k RPM PTO and I have found a few gear boxes but none seem to be what I am looking for. Even thinking of making one but would rather buy that part.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The rear mount gear reduction 2000 RPM PTO accessory for the 318 does in fact accommodate a rear mower model 260 that was made by Deere, and also a 50 inch rear grooming mower that was very similar. In addition to the deck, you will need a three-point hitch, and of course the 2000 RPM reduction rear PTO. All of these are hard to find and will be expensive, so for just mowing the center mount deck is a more likely find and will be less money as well.

You can check out the classified ads at WFM, and post a wanted ad there.

Those middle mount decks which fit the 318 are 46 inch and 50 inch, and there was a later issue 48 inch "replacement" deck from Deere that is highly regarded also.

Of course, you can get a tow behind mower with its own engine like a Swisher or those branded by Craftsman if you can find one. DR and Northern have new ones in this style as I recall.

Chuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear mount gear reduction 2000 RPM PTO accessory for the 318 does in fact accommodate a rear mower model 260 that was made by Deere, and also a 50 inch rear grooming mower that was very similar. In addition to the deck, you will need a three-point hitch, and of course the 2000 RPM reduction rear PTO. All of these are hard to find and will be expensive, so for just mowing the center mount deck is a more likely find and will be less money as well.

You can check out the classified ads at WFM, and post a wanted ad there.

Those middle mount decks which fit the 318 are 46 inch and 50 inch, and there was a later issue 48 inch "replacement" deck from Deere that is highly regarded also.

Of course, you can get a tow behind mower with its own engine like a Swisher or those branded by Craftsman if you can find one. DR and Northern have new ones in this style as I recall.

Chuck
Thank for that info. I have been looking at the WFM forums as well.

What do you think about this Amazon.com : Farmer Helper 5 Foot Finish Mower Cat.I 3pt 16+HP Rating (FH-FM150) : Garden & Outdoor

·
Registered
735 Posts
Red, That looks pretty good, maybe! Any idea what the weight capacity is on your 3-pt? What is input rpm for mower, 2000 or 540? What is pto hp on 318? Bob

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The 318 tractor runs the 30 hydraulic tiller with 12 inch extension from the rear PTO pretty well, but struggles a bit with a 48 inch mechanical tiller. The rear drive is good for about 12 HP max... The gear reduction rear PTO is 2000 RPM at its output.

Chuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 318 tractor runs the 30 hydraulic tiller with 12 inch extension from the rear PTO pretty well, but struggles a bit with a 48 inch mechanical tiller. The rear drive is good for about 12 HP max... The gear reduction rear PTO is 2000 RPM at its output.

Chuck
Chuck I asked them for the PTO speed as it is not listed on the site. I am sure it is 540 as almost everything is 540.

With that I am now looking into a few places that sell the gearboxes to see if I can source a 2k box and build out the MTD deck. This looks the cheapest and the most fun as I have already looked at how I can fab up the deck to hook up the belt to a gearbox. Once I get the GB I'll start posting up pics of the build. I'll probably even JD yellow it so it doesn't look off.

Also the mid-deck seems way too hard to find and those I found are missing a lot of hardware. I am also missing the mule so that would make the closest deck with mule around 700 shipped. To rich for my taste with all the work that has to go into it plus extra parts. I have found gearboxes in the 200 range and already have all the square tubing to fab out the MTD deck and like I said it sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Reddragon72,

Does the 318 already have the rear gear reduction 2000 RPM PTO? If not , that attachment alone will run about $700 or more, and you will still need a category 0 size 3-point hitch which is another 400 or so. Are you going to make your own 3-point assembly? There are plans on the various forum sites that might help on that one.

Even my X495 diesel 24 HP Deere garden tractor had only a "limited" category 1 hitch, which meant it was capable of accepting size one attachment mounts but was limited on lift weight,etc. Those rear mowers you linked to would not have been a good match even for that tractor which was larger than your 318 or my 322...

Chuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reddragon72,

Does the 318 already have the rear gear reduction 2000 RPM PTO? If not , that attachment alone will run about $700 or more, and you will still need a category 0 size 3-point hitch which is another 400 or so. Are you going to make your own 3-point assembly? There are plans on the various forum sites that might help on that one.

Even my X495 diesel 24 HP Deere garden tractor had only a "limited" category 1 hitch, which meant it was capable of accepting size one attachment mounts but was limited on lift weight,etc. Those rear mowers you linked to would not have been a good match even for that tractor which was larger than your 318 or my 322...

Chuck
My 318 has the PTO there so good to go there. For the 3pt I found a cat0 setup for 100 on CL so I am going today to take a look.

Yep the rear deck I posted turned out to be to much so I am going with the MTD deck build. I have an MTD Gold with a dead motor that I am going to start yanking stuff off of for parts. The deck and wheels will be repurposed. I am also building a homemade wagon with steel frame and plywood bottom and sides. I have the mainframe built already and am adding poles for the sides. The old MTD tires will make for a nice setup on that trailer. I am also going to get the Little Buck loader so I can move wood, sand and horse crap around. Also will build out a homemade harrow for churning up the arena.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts