Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add a set of larger sized shallow and deep well sockets, 26mm and larger. Seems like I have run into the need for these fairly often with the tractor implements, etc. Want something of decent quality, I don't need to spend Snap On premium pricing as they are not something that is frequently used. Obviously, I don't want something breaking in my hands when used either.

Prefer to stay in the 1/2" drive size so I can use existing ratchets, impacts, etc.

I have a set of SAE sockets that are 3/4" drive that go from 1" up to 2.5", so I really don't need the SAE sockets. Plus the 3/4" drive size with the bulk of the ratchet, extension, etc makes the use of the smaller sized sockets (26mm - 34mm) tough......

Seems like many of the Metric sizes over 26mm are in the 3/4" drive size only. Even if I could get the sockets up to maybe 40mm in 1/2" drive, that would be good. I don't have a problem going with the 3/4" drive size for larger sized metric sockets.

Ideally, getting a 1/2" drive to 3/4" drive adapter would be another solution so I could use the 3/4" drive sockets with the 1/2" impact, etc on the smaller sizes (up to maybe 40mm?).

Has anyone found a good set of 1/2" drive, metric sized 26mm and larger, shallow and deep well sockets that fit this description?

Thanks for your responses..................

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Not sure how popular they are in 'the real world" but we use a lot of Grey Pneumatic sockets at work. (GP) We use a company called Toolweb, which I dont believe is something the general public can just use without an account.
Anyways, they have 1/2 drive up to 36mm.
I see they sell them direct on Amazon so, that may be an option for you.
I have also used Sunex for larger sizes and they hold up just as well as Snap Ons do.
https://www.toolweb.com/toolwebv3/Tools/Product-Categories/Hand-Tools/Socket-Sets/GRE82629M/p/GRE82629M

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-29pc-Metric-Duo-Socket-Set/dp/B00AHIFWDK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=GRE82629M&qid=1559414262&s=gateway&sr=8-1

SK, Im sure you know of, also has a set up to 36 mm but at the same time, its also $100 more
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=SKT4037&ref=nb_sb_noss

Neither of the 3 I mentioned will do you wrong.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Look at dewalt sockets. They have some big ones on the shelf at rural king. Not sure how good they are but may be a place to start.

Also lowes/kobalt have some larger sizes, they pretty good quality. They also have adapters to go from 1/2 to 3/4".

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you're in Canada try Princess Auto. Decent tools, fantastic warrantee. There seem to be a number of manufacturers who make large sockets, but they all seem to want to use 3/4" drive so you may have to get a 3/4" to 1/2" drive adaptor. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Happened to see this yesterday

I was talking with a local mechanic and a customer showed up returning a 3/4 drive ratchet he had borrowed. It was a substantial ratchet with about a 3' handle. He had also borrowed some sockets and a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter.

Surprisingly, the adapter sheared off before an old 1/2 drive Craftsman 12 point socket broke. I was shocked that the socket gave up first but the 1/2 stub was still in the socket.

I too have a set of 3/4 sockets but rarely use them. At times, I've haunted pawn shops for odd sockets with surprisingly good results. I've paid as little as a couple of dollars for a large name brand socket which might be $20 new. The down side is I don't have complete matched sets and sometimes don't have a socket for that new use. Buying a set certainly is the way to go if you can find what you want.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have decent luck with amazon and eBay with Nieko and Tekton names-not sure if they make sockets that size though-but I’d they do I’d buy them.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
I have a harbor freight 3/4 drive set that’s worked great so far. I think it was $50.

The sockets are so big and clumsy you might as well get the new drive size, and two adapters. 1/2-3/4 and 3/4-1/2 that way in medium duty applications you can still use your existing stock of swivels, extensions, drives.....I can step up my airgun or use the drives for a increased leverage breaker that’s one more step before adding pipe.

They come with a case so they can be stored away and organized without filling important toolbox space.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Something I would look for if I were shopping for these: 6 point impact sockets. I have the Craftsman standard sets and a bunch of Harbor Freight ones including the 3/4" drive. Also had to get the 3/4" torque wrench for a single task. Now I have it for next time.

Side note. The Harbor Freight click type torque wrenches are surprisingly good. I have several and one day took them in to a PMEL shop on base and had them calibrated. They were almost spot on and adjusted easily. My friend rated them better than most of the expensive ones he had to do for the military. I can't speak for the new ones they are bringing out at much more $$. Sure beats the beam balance one I started with.

I also get only the impact driver bits now. Messed up a lot of screws and bits before I caught on.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
If you want large 3/4" drive stuff, tractor supply has a set plus open stock 3/4" stuff.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The problem I have found with most metric socket sets is they are incomplete sets. They always seem to skip a size or two and, of course, that is the size you need.

That being said, try Cripe Distributing They are a tool liquidation house. I have purchased large impact socket sets and many individual larger sockets from them at very attractive prices.

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
Craftsman sells/sold "add on" larger size sets.
Standard was 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, & 36.
Deep 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, & 24
The idea was to add to existing sets and not duplicate.

·
Super Moderator
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
8mm through 36mm deep

GEARWRENCH 84935N 1/2 Drive Deep Metric Impact Socket Set (29 Piece) - - Amazon.com

Only one I could find that has every size up to 36mm. Not sure they make any 1/2" drive above 36mm.
Nice set. If I were in the market I would get them. I never got around to a 3/4" impact driver. So far an adapter for my 1/2" is enough.

I wonder what they mean by "Power Source" and "corded-electric" in the description? Also, I think the Item Weight of 2.2 pounds is a bit optimistic.

·
Premium Member
8,057 Posts
I would like to add a set of larger sized shallow and deep well sockets, 26mm and larger. Seems like I have run into the need for these fairly often with the tractor implements, etc. Want something of decent quality, I don't need to spend Snap On premium pricing as they are not something that is frequently used. Obviously, I don't want something breaking in my hands when used either.

Prefer to stay in the 1/2" drive size so I can use existing ratchets, impacts, etc.

I have a set of SAE sockets that are 3/4" drive that go from 1" up to 2.5", so I really don't need the SAE sockets. Plus the 3/4" drive size with the bulk of the ratchet, extension, etc makes the use of the smaller sized sockets (26mm - 34mm) tough......

Seems like many of the Metric sizes over 26mm are in the 3/4" drive size only. Even if I could get the sockets up to maybe 40mm in 1/2" drive, that would be good. I don't have a problem going with the 3/4" drive size for larger sized metric sockets.

Ideally, getting a 1/2" drive to 3/4" drive adapter would be another solution so I could use the 3/4" drive sockets with the 1/2" impact, etc on the smaller sizes (up to maybe 40mm?).

Has anyone found a good set of 1/2" drive, metric sized 26mm and larger, shallow and deep well sockets that fit this description?

Thanks for your responses..................
SulleyBear, Have you researched what sizes are commonly used? Reason I ask, is My 1/2dr shallow goes from 9mm-24mm. It has an 11mm, that I've never used. Also my set skipped 20mm & 23mm. I see you can buy 25mm to 30mm, then 32mm and 36mm. But I wonder if any of the 25mm to 30mm would never be used? Are 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, & 30 NOW all commonly used now? :dunno:

I remember when you bought a 1/2" drive set and after 14mm it had: 15mm, 17mm, 19mm, then 22mm. Then years later I started finding 16mm and 18mm fasteners and had to buy those sizes.

ANYONE encountered 20mm, 23mm, 25mm to 30mm, 32mm, and 36mm fasteners? I am just not wanting to buy ones that will never get used.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
SulleyBear, Have you researched what sizes are commonly used? Reason I ask, is My 1/2dr shallow goes from 9mm-24mm. It has an 11mm, that I've never used. Also my set skipped 20mm & 23mm. I see you can buy 25mm to 30mm, then 32mm and 36mm. But I wonder if any of the 25mm to 30mm would never be used? Are 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, & 30 NOW all commonly used now? :dunno:

I remember when you bought a 1/2" drive set and after 14mm it had: 15mm, 17mm, 19mm, then 22mm. Then years later I started finding 16mm and 18mm fasteners and had to buy those sizes.

ANYONE encountered 20mm, 23mm, 25mm to 30mm, 32mm, and 36mm fasteners? I am just not wanting to buy ones that will never get used.
I had 30 32 and 36 before getting my 3/4 set. I needed them one at a time for something.

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks to everyone who has provided relies to this thread with sources, ideas and answers. I really appreciate it and I like having options which I wasn't previously aware of.

I noticed yesterday the nut on top of my landscape rake center pivot and I bet that nut must be 50mm in size, perhaps larger. Its a monster and definitely will be a special purchase as I don't see many items that big that I have to deal with on my tractor and implements. I posted a stock photo of the landscape rake below with the massive castle nut......

Regarding odd sized hardware, My neighbor ordered a really nice basketball backboard for installation. I looked it up online and it was $2,300 for the kit. I ended up helping him install the entire thing and we used my 1 series to set the pole (which was over 350 pounds) and then the pallet forks to mount the back board, etc. The pallet of the kit when I unloaded it was right at 650 pounds.........

It's the type Shaq likely could and did swing from and when we got it installed, after getting it all squared and set up just right, my neighbor jumps up and grabs the rim and is swinging on it. He is likely 240# or more and the rim flxed just like it should and once he dropped off, we checked everything again and it went back to perfectly square......Good stuff, but for the money, it had better be...............

It came with absolutely beautiful, stainless hardware. It looked to me like the bolts were each CNC cut and the finish was PERFECT. Very nice looking hardware. Every one of them.......and the nuts and bolt heads on the same fasteners were different sizes. For example, the bolt head was 25mm on one set of bolts and the NYLOCK nuts (all the Nuts were NYLOCK) on the same bolts were 26mm. Then on the largest bolts, they were either 30 or 32 MM.

I took one of each bolt and ran home (probably 1,000 feet) and got wrenches and the sockets which I had to fit. Fortunately, I was able to find wrenches and a socket to fit, but it made me realize how many sizes I am missing. Plus, I ended up using the 3/4" SAE on the largest one and while it worked, it wasn't the right way to tighten them.

Speaking of "Not the right way" to deal with hardware, When I got back, my neighbor was coming out of his garage with channel locks and vise grips......I felt this chill go up my spine. First, every bolt and nut on this thing was truly a work of art. Absolutely perfect. The thought of him going after ANY of the hardware with adjustable tools just made me shudder. Not to mention, there is no way to properly torque anything with channel locks and vise grips.

I forget what the base bolts had to be torqued at in NM, but it was a serious amount of torque, I had all I could do to get my torque wrench to hit the numbers. Plus, the bolts with the highest torque were on the ground at the base plate for the tower, so I had to sit on the ground to pull towards me to get the torque. Got it done and correctly.......

When I built my last several dragsters and my Pro Mod car, a lot of detail went into making it extremely nice. I used the stainless engine bolt kits and all chassis bolts were polished and all bolt heads were positioned exactly the same, etc. Many of these are almost built to show car standards and I liked it done right. In fact my Camaro won the Joliet Illinois, Route 66 Best Engineered and Best Build awards from Super Chevy Magazine that year.

Here are a couple of pictures of how the cars were wired and the attention to detail. Wiring was just one part of the build.......These pictures are off the internet, but its the very same method I would use to wire the cars so they are very organized and very easy to work on. But it takes a lot of time to do this, verses zip tying wire harnesses in mass.......:laugh:

When you are building the entire car and can plan it, its a lot easier to wire a race car with the dedicated custom built harnesses. With the data acquisition, ignition boxes, delay boxes, trans brakes, various timers, the wiring gets pretty complex. I like it organized and neat. Note, this picture is an example and not of my actual car. I will have to dig out images of the cars some day to post. I have large pictures of the dragster doing a burn out at Bristol, TN with the tower logo in the smoke background and several other big pictures which are framed and hanging in my "man cave room", I should take photos of the photos and post those.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,007 Posts
Over the years at auctions I have bought BIG Sockets for my 1/2", 3/4" & 1" Drive's for penny's on the dollar. Harbor Freight has cheap Big Sets for what we do will work fine and super hard to bust a 3/4" - 1" Drive Socket including there Big Impact Sets! I can do up to 600 Ft Lbs with my 4 ft long 1" Torque Wrench and sockets up to around 2 3/4" plus in size. I also have down to 3/8" drive on the Torque Wrenches. I ended up with a lot of good name brands and Nice Older ones too from auctions. With out the right tools things can get screwed up in the building process. Tork Wrench.jpg

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Cross over metric to SAE

Thanks to everyone who has provided relies to this thread with sources, ideas and answers. I really appreciate it and I like having options which I wasn't previously aware of.

. . .

It came with absolutely beautiful, stainless hardware. It looked to me like the bolts were each CNC cut and the finish was PERFECT. Very nice looking hardware. Every one of them.......and the nuts and bolt heads on the same fasteners were different sizes. For example, the bolt head was 25mm on one set of bolts and the NYLOCK nuts (all the Nuts were NYLOCK) on the same bolts were 26mm. Then on the largest bolts, they were either 30 or 32 MM.

I took one of each bolt and ran home (probably 1,000 feet) and got wrenches and the sockets which I had to fit. Fortunately, I was able to find wrenches and a socket to fit, but it made me realize how many sizes I am missing. Plus, I ended up using the 3/4" SAE on the largest one and while it worked, it wasn't the right way to tighten them.

Speaking of "Not the right way" to deal with hardware, When I got back, my neighbor was coming out of his garage with channel locks and vise grips......I felt this chill go up my spine. First, every bolt and nut on this thing was truly a work of art. Absolutely perfect. The thought of him going after ANY of the hardware with adjustable tools just made me shudder. Not to mention, there is no way to properly torque anything with channel locks and vise grips.

If I remember right, a 3/4 is so close to a 19mm that you can't tell the difference with out a very, very good micrometer and certainly closer than most wrenches are made.

As you go up in size, other sizes will work even if they aren't perfect just because the bearing surface is so large even with the heavier torque. An example is a 26 mm. That's 1.02". I doubt many sockets are accurate to .02 because they need to allow for manufacturing tolerances in bolts and nuts.

By all means, get the set you need, er. . want but in a pinch a lot of the SAE will cross over and vice versa. It's better to have the exact tool but when it's down to .01 or .02" difference, I doubt you will notice it.

Treefarmer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts