Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a handed down Bolens 1600 eliminator from my father when I bought my first house 4 years ago. He bought it new in 1985. Good machine. Replaced the motor a couple times in it’s life, starters go every time it snows or when I really need to use it.i did the flywheel, I have replaced the starter twice in 2 years. replaced the transmission 2 years ago, deck is shot, has engine issues as we speak, hydro pump is whining good with good oil levels. Snowblower needs new bearings as well as front end parts, etc. it’s tired, and I’m tired of wrenching on it as I did by myself the last few years and with my father growing up. It’s 32 years old and it’s time, and not worth putting more money into it as parts are near impossible to find, expensive, not to mention the used parts I find are worn out more than the parts currently on the machine.
I snowblow and mow. I’m 25, I have just over a half an acre. I plan on selling and buying another home in 5-6 years with enough room to hunt, shoot, and fish. I might be taking care of my grandparents driveway as well coming this winter. I hate belt driven attachments and transmissions. I want a 30 year machine.
I’ve narrowed it down to a new x738 with 48 mower and 47 snowblower. 0%, why not get awd.
What is the OAL of a 738 with snowblower attached. I have a 10x12 shed with the double doors on the 12’ side, so I have 10’ 2” to work with for inside demensions if I pull in straight.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,148 Posts
I snowblow and mow. I’m 25, I have just over a half an acre. I plan on selling and buying another home in 5-6 years with enough room to hunt, shoot, and fish. I might be taking care of my grandparents driveway as well coming this winter. I hate belt driven attachments and transmissions. I want a 30 year machine.
I’ve narrowed it down to a new x738 with 48 mower and 47 snowblower. 0%, why not get awd.
What is the OAL of a 738 with snowblower attached. I have a 10x12 shed with the double doors on the 12’ side, so I have 10’ 2” to work with for inside demensions if I pull in straight.
Thanks
Two thoughts. 30 years is probably a bit of a stretch for a gasoline engine - you might want to consider one of the models which has a diesel. Even then, 30-years from today's plastic machines is anyone's guess.

A 48" deck is very narrow for a X700-sized machine. It will barely stick out on each side making getting close to obstacles for trimming a bit difficult. Make sure you test drive that configuration prior to purchase.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
:wgtt:

Man, thats a LOT of parts on that Bolens.
My 87 Deere 318 is running a snowthrower from a 1977 312, and its original 50" deck and powerflow. Bearings in the spindles were replaced at some point about 15 years ago. It did get new bearings when I repainted it about 10 years ago. The tractor itself has had no issues, except that the old engine was neglected enough through its life before I got it (it was my grandfathers) that I had to replace it at 1150 hours, but its been going strong since. There isnt necessarily anything wrong with belt driven attachments, its more in their build quality and maintenance than anything.
He used it on 2 acres, but only mowed and cleared snow with it. Anything big that needed done, he hired out.
Since Ive had it, I added a 3-point and a few other attachments.
When we bought our current place 3 years ago, I quickly realized that it wasnt big enough for our 5.5 acres in the woods.
I still use it for snow removal in the Winter, and fairly regularly to pull my 17 cf cart, usually overloaded with logs or branches/brush. I also use it in fall to clean up leaves, and any time I need to till anything with the 30 hydraulic tiller, or run the dethatcher across the lawn, etc.
I expect my 3 year old to be able to use it well after Im long gone. Its currently 31 years old and will fairly easily make it another 10, probably 20 no more than I use it these days.

I dont know what your plans are for your machine after you move, but in my case, I thought maybe adding a loader to the 318 would be enough, but quickly realized that this was wishful thinking.
I now have a 2025R, and am darn glad to have it. I do not mow with it. That is left to my Exmark.
Im certainly not saying your tractor choice is the wrong one, only you can tell that, but it might be a good idea to at least look at the 1025R, as cost wise, I dont think there is much difference. If you truly want a 30 year machine, then it would be best to plan ahead.
Will the X7 series do what you want after you move? For that matter, would a 1025 do that?

Two thoughts. 30 years is probably a bit of a stretch for a gasoline engine - you might want to consider one of the models which has a diesel. Even then, 30-years from today's plastic machines is anyone's guess.

A 48" deck is very narrow for a X700-sized machine. It will barely stick out on each side making getting close to obstacles for trimming a bit difficult. Make sure you test drive that configuration prior to purchase.
True, but good maintenance and (in my opinion) synthetic oil will extend the life of any gas engine. Then again, it also depends on the number of hours used per week.
3000 hours is possible, and given my 318s experience with mowing and snow removal, that would put it about 30 years worth of use, but really, thats just mowing roughly 1.5 acres of grass, occasional yard work pulling a cart, and occasional snow removal.

Agreed 100" on deck size. My Exmark is a 52". It is also like that, barely sticks out past the wheels, and that can be a pain, maybe more so with a zero turn, as rear wheels like to run into whatever you are trying to mow around. I felt like I could do better with the 50 on the 318 around flower beds, etc. Anyway, a bit larger deck is a good thing unless you have space constraints that wont allow it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A 4x4 unit with a blower shouldn’t technically need weights. I use chains and weights on the Bolens when I blow, which is 2wd. Being 4x4 and heavier, it should be fine, especially when the machine is 12” longer to start with. Wheel weights would be best due to less stress on the axles which is what I would run if needed.
I’m good on maintenance. Im very mechanically inclined. Rebuilding farmall tractors, fabricating, engine work, etc. everyone else in my generation is a bunch of sallys and can’t turn a wrench.
I’ve had belts blow out at the absolute best times for it to happen...not. Idler pulley’s tensioner pulleys failing at the best times too. It’s not just the belts, it’s the electric clutch pto’s that annoy me too. The Bolens I have is shaft driven, front pto clutch, with a belt that goes to a pulley on the front pto shaft then is shaft driven to the blower and the deck uses a mule drive. I just hate belts and like direct shaft driven implements.
I’d use it for mainly property care and a large garden in the future. If I needed a bucket I’d deal with that down the road with either a compact tractor, or skid steer. I have worked the piss out of the Bolens throughout my life dragging logs, making paths, trails, towing wood trailers and even grading yards. So has my father. I know what a smaller machine can do.
Thanks for the tips so far guys

·
Premium Member
12,148 Posts
True, but good maintenance and (in my opinion) synthetic oil will extend the life of any gas engine. Then again, it also depends on the number of hours used per week. 3000 hours is possible, and given my 318s experience with mowing and snow removal, that would put it about 30 years worth of use, but really, thats just mowing roughly 1.5 acres of grass, occasional yard work pulling a cart, and occasional snow removal.
The problem is they don't build them like the 318 anymore and haven't for quite some time. My old 175 Hydro was still going strong after 25 years but it had a lot fewer plastic parts than the newer models. All one can do is take care of the machine the best you can and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I measured my X748, blower and the quick hitch independently so I had to approximate the three together.
The total length that I got was 10’. If no one comes up with an exact length with the three together in the next couple of days I’ll try to drag out the blower and hook everything up to give an accurate measurement. It’s close enough that that you’ll need that.

I do use ballast off the back of the X748. It isn’t for traction, I think there is value in having a counter balance weight wise when the blower is hanging off the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I measured my X748, blower and the quick hitch independently so I had to approximate the three together.
The total length that I got was 10’. If no one comes up with an exact length with the three together in the next couple of days I’ll try to drag out the blower and hook everything up to give an accurate measurement. It’s close enough that that you’ll need that.

I do use ballast off the back of the X748. It isn’t for traction, I think there is value in having a counter balance weight wise when the blower is hanging off the front
This.
Traction isnt the issue necessarily when equipped with MFWD. The issue is overloading the front axle by not having proper ballast on the rear of the tractor. a
Id be willing to bet that Deere lists proper ballast in the owners manual for the X7xx series just like they do the 1025, 2025, etc.

·
Premium Member
12,148 Posts

I do use ballast off the back of the X748. It isn’t for traction, I think there is value in having a counter balance weight wise when the blower is hanging off the front.
It looks like someone needs the remote spout control. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
The problem is they don't build them like the 318 anymore and haven't for quite some time. My old 175 Hydro was still going strong after 25 years but it had a lot fewer plastic parts than the newer models. All one can do is take care of the machine the best you can and hope for the best.

Yep, not a chance my 2520 makes it thirty years with the kind of use OP is talking about. It's all about getting you in a NEW tractor every couple of years.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
A 4x4 unit with a blower shouldn’t technically need weights. I use chains and weights on the Bolens when I blow, which is 2wd. Being 4x4 and heavier, it should be fine, especially when the machine is 12” longer to start with. Wheel weights would be best due to less stress on the axles which is what I would run if needed.
I’m good on maintenance. Im very mechanically inclined. Rebuilding farmall tractors, fabricating, engine work, etc. everyone else in my generation is a bunch of sallys and can’t turn a wrench.

I’ve had belts blow out at the absolute best times for it to happen...not. Idler pulley’s tensioner pulleys failing at the best times too. It’s not just the belts, it’s the electric clutch pto’s that annoy me too. The Bolens I have is shaft driven, front pto clutch, with a belt that goes to a pulley on the front pto shaft then is shaft driven to the blower and the deck uses a mule drive. I just hate belts and like direct shaft driven implements.

I’d use it for mainly property care and a large garden in the future. If I needed a bucket I’d deal with that down the road with either a compact tractor, or skid steer. I have worked the piss out of the Bolens throughout my life dragging logs, making paths, trails, towing wood trailers and even grading yards. So has my father. I know what a smaller machine can do.
Thanks for the tips so far guys
Regarding rear weights, After having worked the comparable model of the same tractor as you are considering for about as long as you have been alive, the rear suitcase weights are not only the way to go, but also have a multitude of other uses. Personally, I don't bother with wheel weights as they are more troublesome to put on and take off and they have ONE USE, as rear wheel weights. Get the rear weight bracket and 6 suitcase weights which are 42# pounds each and you will find it make a great machine even better.

-Better weight distribution with a front mounted implement.
-Easier steering with the rear ballast added
-Proper axle loading which reduces machine wear and fatigue
-Improved traction which is always a good thing.

Also, you can use the suitcase weights on the front if needed and also put them on rear implements you pull with the hitch, like aerators and also thatcher attachments. The wheel weights are a hand smasher where the suitcase weights have a "suitcase handle" which makes handling them easy. I know of no one who uses suitcase weights who doesn't find them beneficial and worth the mininal cost. Also, if for some reason you don't like or use them, you can sell them for 90% of what you paid for them any day of the week. The suitcase weights fit dozens of machines, if not more. Not the case with the wheel weights.

I would have to say that I would modify your statement slightly to say "Nearly everyone else in my generation is a bunch of sallys and can’t turn a wrench". We have a few younger members on GTT who are very mechanically inclined and I wouldn't want them to fail to get the respect they deserve as well..... Once we have filled the quad cab pickup truck cab with the 5 or 6 of you, then your statement is likely accurate regarding much of your generation. :laugh:

If they could turn wrenches and learn mechanical repairs they way they focus on plucking their eyebrows and shaving their bodies and waxing themselves, they would be better off. Disturbing percentage seem to be "Metro-Sexuals" and would rather watch the KarTRASHians and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy series reruns, than to do something productive. :dunno:

Stay in the x7xx series and all implements are shaft driven. Also, I would strongly encourage you to go to the x754 or higher tractor in the diesel series with the Yanmar. My neighbor has a x738 and when he first got it with the 47" two stage snow blower a few years ago, he was eager to line it up next to my 455 tractor, which is the predecessor to the x750 with the Yanmar.

We started out side by side in the middle of the un-plowed road when the snow was about 12" deep. At 100 feet, I was 25' ahead of him. At 200 feet, I was nearly 75' ahead of him. The gas engine doesn't handle the snow load the same way as the diesel so he has to stop and allow the engine to catch up to the load on the snow thrower in deep snow. Not the case with the diesel. Plus, the gas motors use about twice as much fuel per hour as does the diesel. Plus, the diesel will run 5,000 hours where as the Kawasaki gas engine won't........

I can't recall anyone ever regretting going to the diesel engine option with the Yanmar over the gas engine Kawasaki. Yes, it adds some cost, but the resale is better and the fuel savings offsets the higher purchase cost over time. The torque and power operation of the Yanmar is superior in the operation of the machine. The x738 is a great machine. The x740, X744, x748, x749, X750, x754, x758 or X759 are PHENOMENAL machines......

Just FYI, the X740 and X750 are the 2 wheel drive machines. The X744 and the X754 are the 2 wheel drive, "All Wheel Steer" machines, the X748 and the X758 are the "AWD" machines and the X749 and the X759 are the AWD and AWS machines. There are also "SE" (Special edition) machines for the X748se and X758se and they have front fenders, better suspension seats and some other frills.

The X740 machines were made from 2006 to 2012 and the x750 machines have been made from 2013 to current. Please note, these descriptions are from my memory, but I am pretty sure it's correct. For clarification, the x740 series machines used the MFWD drive system from 2006 to 2008 and then utilize the HFWD "All Wheel Drive / 4 wheel drive" system from 2009 to current.

The difference between the MFWD and the HFWD drive systems is the MFWD is a Mechanical Four Wheel Drive system where as the HFWD is a Hydraulic Four Wheel Drive system. Both work very well and serve their purpose.

One last point, it's very unlikely any machine you buy today will be the lawn warrior which the old Bolen's has been. The tractors of that era up through about the early 2000's (maybe through 2006 with the x595) were incredibly well built, in fact over built, machines and they commonly go thousands of hours with regular maintenance. Anyone who has owned and worked on the machines from the 1970's to mid 2000's will know exactly what I am talking about. The machines sold today have many more frills and much more plastic. Don't expect the new machines to last 30 years without a lot of attention. Even then, how long they will last is anyone's guess.

Here is how it goes. You are 25 now and you are not only very capable in making the repairs, but you are tiring of spending more time working on the machine than using it. Plus, the old machines seem to break right when you need them most, so not only are you wrenching on them, you are doing it when it -20 and the wind is howling and the snow is piling up.

So you buy a new tractor. Well, the new machine you buy today will start to have trouble in about 20 to 25 years which will resemble the Bolen's experience. By then, you will acquired even more mechanical skills, but also some aches and pains and laying on the ground working on things isn't the exciting experience it might be today. So, plan on replacing the new tractor you buy today when you are about 45 to 50 years old with another. Hopefully, that 2nd machine will get you to the end. Just remember when you are enjoying the new machine and not working on it, someday you will be..............It's a reality of today's manufactured products, sadly.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I too was sick of old tractors and just tired of them not working. I simply don't have time to wrench on things even though I am plenty capable of and often enjoy doing so.

Got my x738 this summer and have been nothing but happy with it since. At some point yes it will need work and repairs it's a machine all machines break. It also needs regular maintenance. It's simply the price you pay to have equipment that can do work.

As for your shed it's going to be tight in there but it might all fit. I have a 10x16 shed and my tractor climbs in there. Even with the box blade on. When you switch to the new house you will want a bigger building for the tractor. With a snow blower on the front you will be very tight in a 10x12.

Get the 54HC deck (the 60HC won't fit in your shed door the 54 is a very tight fit thru my 60" shed door) it's a drive over deck and takes less than 2 min to take on and off with zero tools. Much like the power steering you will never want to be without this feature ever again.

The AWD (HFWD) is worth every penny the tractor is as nimble as a 2wd tractor and climbs slippery hills like they are flat ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Another school of thought for you- 5 or 6 years is a long time. Why not save yourself a few bucks and get a X5xx series tractor. When you move you can either keep it to mow, or trade it in on a new X7xx series or maybe at that point you want a Scut. One of the big advantages of a JD is trade in value. As long as you take care of it, a X5xx will give you a nice down payment in 5 years on whatever type tractor you want

·
Registered
45 Posts

Just FYI, the X740 and X750 are the 2 wheel drive machines. The X744 and the X754 are the 2 wheel drive, "All Wheel Steer" machines, the X748 and the X758 are the "AWD" machines and the X749 and the X759 are the AWD and AWS machines. There are also "SE" (Special edition) machines for the X748se and X758se and they have front fenders, better suspension seats and some other frills.

Great points... but there isn't a X759... or some folks would have one. Can't have diesel, AWD and AWS.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Great points... but there isn't a X759... or some folks would have one. Can't have diesel, AWD and AWS.
The dealer explained it to me that if you had diesel, AWD and all wheel steering the tractor would need a ROPS due to it's weight. If any tractor in the x700 series of tractor weighs enough to need a ROPS the government say all the X700s have to have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No over all lengths with the blower on? On the 4x4’s the front pto shaft seems more rugged, with 2 bearings, front and rear, of pto shaft with snap rings. The 2wd has just a support bracket with a brace. Still thinking about saving $1200 on 2wd from 4x4. How reliable are the 4x4 x700’s? Any hydraulic motor issues? Long term reliability?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Another school of thought for you- 5 or 6 years is a long time. Why not save yourself a few bucks and get a X5xx series tractor. When you move you can either keep it to mow, or trade it in on a new X7xx series or maybe at that point you want a Scut. One of the big advantages of a JD is trade in value. As long as you take care of it, a X5xx will give you a nice down payment in 5 years on whatever type tractor you want

In his shoes, I'd just pick up an older GT, or X485. Lots of time to ponder what you really need after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An AWS model will likely fit in your shed since the maneuverability will allow you to angle it. I've had several all wheel steers since they came out in '93. I replaced the cam gear at about 600 hours before selling it in 2001. My neighbor is still using that '93 model and all he has done to it is rebuild the mower deck.
I just bought an X739 and put the 3pt hitch on it. I determined that it is about 10'-2" with the 47" blower if I had not put the 3pt on. The rockshaft of the 3pt adds another 4" for an overall length of 10'-6" with the 3pt arms removed.
Keep in mind that if you add a weather enclosure, that may require additional clearance in the rear but your shed door probably isn't tall enough anyway.
Perhaps you can use a front blade until you move.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I went to to dealer, was happy with the price of a 730 with a blower and 54 deck. How’s the multch control lever option? Worth it? Next week I’m going to pull the trigger. I’m going to haggle on a multch kit, and see if they’ll move enough to count for a free 13 steel cart.. Got to see if they’ll move on the starter weights and chains. At this point I’m being greedy but very dollar counts. I am very happy with the price they did give for the important stuff.
Thanks for the measurements bud, I appreciate it! No enclosure for me, I know how to aim the chute. Haha. You learn quick when it’s 10* and a face full of snow and then some comes back at you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts