Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this 4 gallon Milwaukee Fuel M18 Sprayer recently, I had planned all along to not use it as a back pack. I had planned to strap it to the back of my ATV. Turns out running the ATV and steering with one hand and spraying with the other is a lot more difficult than I had thought it would be, plus changing directions, and manovering in tight quarters, is a real pain in the rear with the ATV.

I am now wanting to figure out a good way to mount up some sort of small rack hopefully something that can be easily taken on and off the X758, looking for a hitch mount cargo basket or rack of some sort. Most of what I am finding on line is 48-60" wide.
I even purchased a 48" hitch cargo rack. It is really way to big for what I am wanting.
Does anyone know of a nice small hitch mounted rack or basket.
I think 24"-36" wide would be the max I would want it. With some height adjustability would be nice too.
Anyone seen anything like this on the market?

Here some details on my sprayer.

M18 18-Volt 4 Gal. Lithium-Ion Cordless Switch Tank Backpack Pesticide Sprayer (Tool-Only)
milwaukee-sprayers-2820-20ps-64_1000.jpg

·
Registered
23,020 Posts
When you say rear hitch are you talking about the 3 point hitch or a hitch integrated to the back of the x758?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say rear hitch are you talking about the 3 point hitch or a hitch integrated to the back of the x758?
No, more of a receiver type hitch. I don't have a 3pt setup on any of the X7s.

Here is a pic of the one I bought. I am just trying to find something similar only a lot smaller.
I really don't need it to be 4ft wide.

image_21279.jpg

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a couple examples, but I don't know how they mount, or where to buy one. These might even be home made.

CargoCarrierTitan.jpg

05Custom.jpg

cub-cadet-lawn-mower-sprayers-19a30035100-64_1000.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,640 Posts
No, more of a receiver type hitch. I don't have a 3pt setup on any of the X7s.

Here is a pic of the one I bought. I am just trying to find something similar only a lot smaller.
I really don't need it to be 4ft wide.
Do you have a welder? I made something similar for a handheld sprayer a while back to mount the back of my lawn tractor. Think large metal milk crate. I just bought a few sections of L-channel, a couple flats and a hitch stub from Harbor Freight and welded together a box frame of the dimensions required for the sprayer. I then welded the hitch stub to the bottom and slid it onto my receiver. I even made a little holder for the wand. The sprayer sat down in the box without flopping around. All total the materials were less than $20.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I wish I did, I also wish I knew how to weld.

I thought about pulling the sides off the rack I bought and trying to zip tie a milk crate or something to that center bar. That was about all I could come up with for build it myself sort of ideas.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Reactions: Dr Kubar and cc1999

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw a post on here about heavy hitch offering 2" receivers for X7s. I was looking into ordering that and spotted this weight mount.
I think I could combine this weight mount with a good size riser and possibly come up with something that way.

HH8W-2-3.jpg

rm-048-10_1000.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,640 Posts
Reactions: Dr Kubar and cc1999

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That looks like a good idea. Perhaps the OP could fabricate a wooden box of the correct dimensions and attach to this bracket to hold the sprayer.
I went ahead and ordered one.

Looked like Amazon had the best deal on them.
$42 bucks vs tractor supply was wanting $94.

This was the Amazon description.

Dee Zee DZ97906 Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier
Hitch Mounted Tool Chest Carrier
• Turn Any Utility Chest Into Hitch Storage
• Pre-Assembled Welded Construction
• Fits Standard Class 3 Trailer Hitches
• Rated For 250 lb. Weight Capacity

I am still going to be looking for something already built, just really surprises me all these different brands of this sort of product and no one seems to make a small one. All are either 48 to 60" wide.

I started this search thinking this should be something easy to find and buy off the shelf. So far I have a bunch of hitch parts and brackets and such piling up, and nothing is quite working out like I was envisioning.

I also ordered both versions of the 2" heavy hitch receiver hitch for the X series. I made good use of that TTWT coupon code again today.
Also ordered the ripper shank combo kit for my larger machines that I have weight 3pt heavy hitches on. These guys make some nice quality stuff. Wish they made a little basket or cargo tray . LOL

That JD 1.25 is so light weight that what I was trying to do with it seems to more then it will be able to handle just that empty 48" rack I put on it is flopping around so much empty it acts like it will break that 1.25 JD hitch off. I hadn't even tried to put the sprayer on it yet.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well found one really close to what I was after.

36x17
Price range is really crazy. @ $285-$467

The Cargo Hitch Rack provides another option to pile on extra gear. It can be easily mounted to and removed from any 2” receiver hitch.
• Two sizes (36″ & 46″) are available to meet your needs. These applications are also available in an 8” lift to provide extra ground clearance.
• The Cargo Hitch Rack provides added capacity to a vehicle with limited space, and is a great compliment to our Adventure and Safari Rack systems.
• Note: Weight capacity equals the specified tongue capacity of the 2” receiver.

36″x17″x5″ 36″ Wide Rack – No Rise 836
36″x17″x5″ 36″ Wide Rack – 8″ Rise 837

Cargo-Hitch-Rack-Graphic.jpg

This plus that Dee Zee part might work well together. Trying to find the measurments of the cross bars of that DeeZee part.
This would total out about 150 bucks.
Rage Powersports ATVFB-3713 Black Front Mesh ATV Rack Basket
ATVFB-3713__4.jpg
ATVFB-3713__5.jpg

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case anyone else is looking for something similar.

I spoke with Tim at BTR (Big tool rack) today.

They have a product like I had been searching for coming out next week. This thing is essentially exactly what I was looking high and low for a couple weeks ago, and finally made something up out of some suggestions from others on here. Which what I have made will work. But I think this would have been even better. No pricing was announced yet. I was told they would take some pre-orders for them next week and first shipments were not coming till sometime in November.

I am still planning on buying one of these new Yardrack setups whenever they come available. Looks like a really nice product. I have been very impressed with their larger big tool rack I have for my 2 and 3 series 3pt equipped machines.

There is also a few video's already posted on youtube about the new Yardrack.

Yard rack.png

Reactions: DanW and glc

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am not with my tractor. This last weekend was dock weekend. The tractor becomes an important part of the process. However it has to be weighted in the rear. Woudl one of these extended backets work with the QC weight bracket installed? I think there is clearance. This would be uber helpful for me. Hauling chains, and various tools requires another trip with teh ATV today.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Diy?

Even if you don't weld, DIY might be your best bet for something so small. For example, the receiver insert on the work platform linked below is made from 2x2 oak. Cost Is $20-$30 if you have to buy wood. I used free scraps.

Wooden Work Platform

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not with my tractor. This last weekend was dock weekend. The tractor becomes an important part of the process. However it has to be weighted in the rear. Woudl one of these extended backets work with the QC weight bracket installed? I think there is clearance. This would be uber helpful for me. Hauling chains, and various tools requires another trip with teh ATV today.
I am not sure which heavy hitch you have. I have one we use on the 3pt I match hitches we have on the 2 and 3 series. Ours has a 2" receiver built into it. I am sure this would work either the new Tool rack or a DIY setup would work just fine with it.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even if you don't weld, DIY might be your best bet for something so small. For example, the receiver insert on the work platform linked below is made from 2x2 oak. Cost Is $20-$30 if you have to buy wood. I used free scraps.

Wooden Work Platform
Knowing what I know now, via a lot of trial and error and a pile of parts and pieces to show for it.

If going the DIY route again, I would buy one of these vise mounts, and that smaller rack that I had posted earlier.

These are about 40 bucks on Amazon.

IFTcBejaqI.jpg

Plus that smaller basket, would have worked out the cheapest.
I would not have needed that 10" riser either since that vise mount is adjustable.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had a thought that maybe something from your ATV parts supplier might work. There's a basket/rack that someone makes that fits a two gallon or five gallon gas can to an ATV. With the basic frame that DanW kindly included a picture of, you could probably bolt the two together to make something that would be small enough for your sprayer and fit your tractor. My two cents......

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In case anyone else is looking for something similar.

I spoke with Tim at BTR (Big tool rack) today.

They have a product like I had been searching for coming out next week. This thing is essentially exactly what I was looking high and low for a couple weeks ago, and finally made something up out of some suggestions from others on here. Which what I have made will work. But I think this would have been even better. No pricing was announced yet. I was told they would take some pre-orders for them next week and first shipments were not coming till sometime in November.

I am still planning on buying one of these new Yardrack setups whenever they come available. Looks like a really nice product. I have been very impressed with their larger big tool rack I have for my 2 and 3 series 3pt equipped machines.

There is also a few video's already posted on youtube about the new Yardrack.

View attachment 708478

Update:
I just heard form Tim at the Big Tool Rack company, the Yard Rack is officially on the website now, and available for preorders, expecting shipping to start in about 30-45 days.
PKG price was 299.
After my TTWT discount.
It was $285 bucks free shipping plus a promo kit with a hitch bracket of some sort.

link to the website below.
https://www.bigtoolrack.com/yardrack

Reactions: Tractor Tim

·
Registered
739 Posts
Update:
I just heard form Tim at the Big Tool Rack company, the Yard Rack is officially on the website now, and available for preorders, expecting shipping to start in about 30-45 days.
PKG price was 299.
After my TTWT discount.
It was $285 bucks free shipping plus a promo kit with a hitch bracket of some sort.

link to the website below.
https://www.bigtoolrack.com/yardrack
I'll not dispute that the products fill a demand for that type of thing, but the pricing for those products is out of control. Too gimmicky, and too much money for me.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'll not dispute that the products fill a demand for that type of thing, but the pricing for those products is out of control. Too gimmicky, and too much money for me.
I tend to look at things like this with some perspective to what other stuff cost. IE. my new X758 lawn tractor that cost well over 5 figures, helps in making this 200-300 bucks for something that can really add some nice versatility to that same lawn tractor, seem somewhat worth it to me.

I had actually spent that much or more easily the past couple months trying to piece something together similar and I can honestly say, I am not really liking the results of my prior efforts to build something. I wish this thing was out a couple months ago, it would have saved me an easy 300-400 dollars and a lot of time experimenting with piecing different stuff together.
I admit I have not seen this new BTR rack first hand yet, I only placed my ordered yesterday and like I mentioned its not shipping till December.
However I do have the larger BTR rack on one of my 3 series machines and it works great, very handy and well made, with several very handy features. Several of which are listed as part of the new yard rack. I especially like the weed eater mount and chain saw mounts.

These racks have so far stifled my desire to get a gator or some other utility side by side or golf cart with a bed. If my tractors can now mange the same basic task with adding these racks it might just save me that $10-15K that most new UTV cost now days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts