Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 1025r back in September and am loving it.

I am looking for some recommendations on a spreader for it. I do not want a pull behind as I know people who have had issues with it tipping and am looking for something that can attach to the tractor either through the PTO or like the electric spreader http://www.deere.com/common/media/images/attachments/riding_mower/yard_and_lawn_care/125-lb_electric_spreader_select_series/544597_125lb_electric_spreader_642x462.jpg

Ideally it would be able to hold magic salt as well

The property is about 1.5 acres with around 1 acre of grass needing fertilizing

Thanks!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got my 1025r back in September and am loving it.

I am looking for some recommendations on a spreader for it. I do not want a pull behind as I know people who have had issues with it tipping and am looking for something that can attach to the tractor either through the PTO or like the electric spreader http://www.deere.com/common/media/images/attachments/riding_mower/yard_and_lawn_care/125-lb_electric_spreader_select_series/544597_125lb_electric_spreader_642x462.jpg

Ideally it would be able to hold magic salt as well

The property is about 1.5 acres with around 1 acre of grass needing fertilizing

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Someone will chime in I'm sure.

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I moved your thread to the implements and attachments section for a better fit.:thumbup1gif:

:wgtt:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Welcome, from Texas!

:gtfam:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Land Pride spreader that I got from my dealer for sand and winter mix for my driveway.

The consistency of the sand was a bit much for the spreader so I just enlarged the hole to make it a little easier. This does in turn affect the discharge ratios for anything measurable unfortunately. Just a warning if you intend to use it for sand etc.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
I've had this Herd seeder for years, I've used it with the 550 Mule, farm disk, & JD 420 garden tractor. ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought a Frontier SS1023B over the summer. It took some getting used to, but after using it a few times I really like it. The only real down side to this model is it's a little difficult to reach the lever that opens and closes the gate. A little cheap on the design, but over all good quality. If you would decide to go with this model let me know and I can give you a few pointers I had to learn buy trial and error.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm looking for a 3-point hitch spreader for my 1026R with the front snowblower attached. Any thoughts on the best Frontier models for use with sand or a sand salt mix? Plastic versus metal? Any thoughts on sanding attachments and materials would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's what I use...it's made by Buyers and slides into a 2" receiver. Works good for spreading rock salt and sand and has a small auger inside to break up larger pieces. Works with a rocker switch I installed in the dash where the knockout is.
IMAG0204.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Here's what I use...it's made by Buyers and slides into a 2" receiver. Works good for spreading rock salt and sand and has a small auger inside to break up larger pieces. Works with a rocker switch I installed in the dash where the knockout is.
View attachment 23914
I really dig that setup!

·
Registered
231 Posts
What is the model # of your spreader? Mine is the suv unit , and while I see a splined female shaft to put the auger base in. I don't see a method of fastening the bolts to the motor output. My spinner disc has a 1/4 dia lynch pin that couples the two together.

Matt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice setup. The auger works off 12v? Do you have a link of the exact model and where you got it? Thanks!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine is an older Buyers SUV and it has a 1/2" shaft on the motor with a flange and set screw. The newer models must be different. :unknown:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I got to try the spreader out today and will be returning it for the pro model. It's pretty much useless without the auger. Plus the pro model is variable speed and can have a vibrator added if necessary. I should have just gone with the pro model to begin with. It cost about $100 more but since TSC stocked the unit I bought, I went that route. I'll need to order the pro model. I'll report back with my results.

Matt:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep watching craigslist. I found a 3pt pto spreader for $100.00.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had my first chance to try out my new Saltdogg suv pro today. What a difference from the other suv model. The auger makes all the difference in the world and the variable speed controller is much better at controlling distribution. The auger does use the rock salt quickly but the results on my driveway are incredible.

Matt:good2:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I found leaving the spinner on high and traveling in high range seems to conserve the salt best. The auger seems to "agitate" the salt on high not allowing it all to come out at once.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found leaving the spinner on high and traveling in high range seems to conserve the salt best. The auger seems to "agitate" the salt on high not allowing it all to come out at once.:thumbup1gif:
Thanks for the tip, one annoying feature is the way the controller defaults to the last setting when powered on/off. In other words when you turn it off and it was set on 9 it defaults to 9 even though the rheostat is at one. Not a show stopper but something to remember when operating it. I found blast mode quite useful.

Matt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts