Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few threads on this, but I have not seen any opinions on the seat I am looking at. It's called The Black Talon 51000-BL Universal Tractor Seat with Adjustable Suspension... it comes in JD yellow too. I may run my tractor only about 20 to 40 hours a year, but the lane to my back property is rough and hard on this old back... I'm still hunting for a box balde at a reasonable price to fix that issue too. A suspension seat isn't a must, that's why I don't want to pay too much. The one I'm looking at is at Tractor Supply for $120. I don't want to pay a lot, but I don't want to get something that is going to fall apart soon either. So any advice would be welcome, thank you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Before I sold my 2305, I added more suspension to it. I ordered two more of those black rubber things that give the seat suspension. Cut them in half and zip tied them to the top of the existing ones. Not only did it provide more comfort over bumps (in 250lbs) but it also angled the seat upright more into a MUCH more comfortable position on my back (3 herniated discs). Try that! It’s cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Brilliant....going to give this a try ASAP

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
OP,
The seat your looking at is no better than whats on the tractor now. And worse, the arms that can't be moved will be in the way every time you get on or off the machine. Sorry, but if you want a suspension seat you'll need to spend good money.

A few of us have converted over to Grammer seats, and you should note that those seats are made for them by Grammer. Here's a linky to a large seat reseller.

Complete Seat & Suspension Kits | Tractor Seat Kits | Tractorseats.com

You should also check Northern Tool. They have a number of suspension seats and styles to chose from. And, make sure you buy the Grammer universal mount kit as well.

Milsco High-Back Suspension Seat with Arm Rests — Black, Model# V7300 | Northern Tool

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP,
The seat your looking at is no better than whats on the tractor now. And worse, the arms that can't be moved will be in the way every time you get on or off the machine. Sorry, but if you want a suspension seat you'll need to spend good money.

A few of us have converted over to Grammer seats, and you should note that those seats are made for them by Grammer. Here's a linky to a large seat reseller.

Complete Seat & Suspension Kits | Tractor Seat Kits | Tractorseats.com

You should also check Northern Tool. They have a number of suspension seats and styles to chose from. And, make sure you buy the Grammer universal mount kit as well.

Milsco High-Back Suspension Seat with Arm Rests — Black, Model# V7300 | Northern Tool
Thank you BOBL, but I just can't justify spending that kind of money for just a seat. You do make a great point however, the armrests would be an issue while climbing on and off... I hadn't considered that.

So where does that leave me? Either be annoyed by the armrests, or annoyed by the ton of extra money spent for something better?

My McGyver mind is saying, either don't attach the left armrests when installing, or if they aren't detachable, cut the left one off. Then spend the extra money on a box blade/scraper. Which is another conundrum, because a box blade is very expensive, and basicly I would only really need it the one time, because once my roads are built, mataining them could be done with the loader. Moreover, if my roads are smooth, would I need an upgraded seat?

My old back would sure enjoy a nice seat, but I also sit on my wallet which constantly talks to me while I'm on or off the tractor. I need to make every penny work for me, so I'm still in the cheaper seat mode, that is unless it's junk.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
There are other ways to cushion the ride. Do a search and you'll find the many different methods used

·
Registered
26,411 Posts
What rear tire pressure are you running?

I found a huge improvement in ride on my 2520 with R4’s by lowering the pressure to 10#-12#.

This is something that is free to try and easily reversible if need be.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Toy Mode of transport Lego

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
310 Posts
Having a few connection challenges. My first suspension seat on my 2305 was a TracSeat. Under $100. Very simple installation. Lots of nuts and bolts and tinkering. Great suspension. No back support. I used it for a year and then did the Milsco V5300.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Basically, the goal is to take the "SHOCK" out of the bumps, so the seat doesn't bottom out and send those bone jarring reminders up one's spine. Lot's of ways to do that, starting with this.......for $26.18 or less. Be creative in using this to support the seat base and avoid the bottoming out of the seat. You should also search on GTT for "Poor Man's Air ride Seat"..........as that is what several of us lovingly refer to the use of the air bags........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts