Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lawn is in very tough shape and I've been thinking about tilling portions of it over the next 2-3 years and reseeding. Does anyone have experience with the TSC tillers? I didn't want to spend big money on a tiller as I'll have limited use for it after I renovate the lawn.

Would the TSC option be suitable, or should I spring for a Woods or JD tiller for resale value? The TSC model is currently on sale for $1599 locally.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have a KK tiller. So far it has worked well. I think KK equipment is sold under a few names.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I would venture to guess that my KK tiller, bought from tractor supply will be passed on to my kids one day. And I use mine on my garden and huge deer food plots every year. They are tough gear driven simple machines. I wouldn't waste money on name brand recognition on this implement. Parts are reDily available at TS if you should need them. Only problem is they do not put a good paint job on them. Which can be a good excuse to paint it jd green

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a KK tiller. So far it has worked well. I think KK equipment is sold under a few names.
I have seen many times that it is copycats not rebranding. KK is made in the USA, that certainly helped me make the decision.

Used it last weekend and it performed awesome.

Jim

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a King Kutter tiller as well as many other King Kutter attachments. I have no complaints. It is built pretty heavy duty. I have yet to bend or break a tine. I have a couple friends who have other brand tillers and they have broke a few times. Parts are easy to get and the price is right.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the XB (orange) version of the King Kutter tiller. Its kinda of a pain to hook up, I have to adjust the 3 point arms to the narrowest position they go in. This version is not quick hitch compatible. If you go the King Kutter rout go with the 48 inch yellow version versus the orange version.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you mention you wont have much use for it after the lawn is done.....have you thought about seeking a pto tiller out from a rental company? you might be able to rent one for a weekend at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have the XB (orange) version of the King Kutter tiller. Its kinda of a pain to hook up, I have to adjust the 3 point arms to the narrowest position they go in. This version is not quick hitch compatible. If you go the King Kutter rout go with the 48 inch yellow version versus the orange version.
I have this tiller. It's cat 0 with cat 1 pins. I shimmed the pins out to cat 1 specs so it works with my quick hitch.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you buy one I might be interested in renting it from time to time. I would like to have one but the up front cost needs to take care of snow first before I buy a tiller. Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you mention you wont have much use for it after the lawn is done.....have you thought about seeking a pto tiller out from a rental company? you might be able to rent one for a weekend at a fraction of the cost.
I've called around to most of the places within reasonable distance and nobody rents them. My JD dealer did say he'd rent one if he got one in on trade. Not sure what the odds of that happening are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've called around to most of the places within reasonable distance and nobody rents them. My JD dealer did say he'd rent one if he got one in on trade. Not sure what the odds of that happening are.
Bummer.....what are the chances of a walk behind....its cheaper and you can always get rid of a good Troy Built tiller.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a Troy bilt for sale. Wanna buy it?

Jim

Reactions: tcass

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have this tiller. It's cat 0 with cat 1 pins. I shimmed the pins out to cat 1 specs so it works with my quick hitch.
So if one was going to buy a king kutter for a 1 series, should they get the xb or standard 48" tiller?
Do you have to worry about lift height with the standard version?

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Administrator
18,318 Posts
So if one was going to buy a king kutter for a 1 series, should they get the xb or standard 48" tiller?
Do you have to worry about lift height with the standard version?
Standard. You do not need the XB series since you have a full CAT1 hitch.

Reactions: Big J Deere

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I would buy the 48" BX again, it works very well. The kk standard may be off set, at least the one that Fleet Farm had at the time I bought mine was.

The 54" tiller may work fine with the 10xx in soft soil. If one has hard clay I wouldn't go any bigger than the 48" as it will push the 1026 just a bit in hard red clay.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
IMO, if your gonna go for one, the standard (yellow) 48" would be the way to go. The 54" XB would be a good choice too, but your at the limits on HP.

I have a 5' (yellow) KK, and yea, I can use it on my 2305, but in most conditions I cant till at full depth. My 2520 plays with it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
My 3005 loves the 5', just got back inside from tilling in some 10/10/10 fertilizer. Idles at full depth.

Troy bilt still for sale, $550 for more less brand new proline CRT with Honda motor.

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts