Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a trail cam, night/day operation. I know zip about them. I need one for security at my mothers place.
I don't want junk but don't want to sell the house to get one either. :lol:
Suggestion?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Any BROWNING Cam will be good.

Tips:
Make sure it runs on AA batteries
10mp or more
Black flash for night
Rapid fire is nice
Min 32gb SD card capacity.

I run 3 BTC6 cams year round, had them out for 3 years now. The 6 standard Duracell copper tops last 9 months. Just this year I had a battery burst and now that cam is in-op.

Trail cams is definitely a "ya get what ya pay for" item. I would suggest a budget of $150-$250... SHOP THE SALES!!

EDIT: BROWNING not Bushnell...
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
JDSwan87, Can you recommend a particular unit? Nigh time operation is pretty much a must.
They all operate at night... I noticed that whatever the "detection" rating is, cut it in half and that's the real "viewable" range on the picture that you can actually make something out...

I haven't bought in 3 years so I can't recommend any particular unit since I have no experience with them. I see now they go up to 512GB which is A LOT of pics...

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I have a spy point force 11d and it takes good nite pictures here is a picture of the deer in the back yard at night :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Good reviews here.

https://www.trailcampro.com/

I have bought two of the Browning Dark Ops HD Pro with the Security Package. Great cameras for video. Audio quality is average. Haven’t used them much for still pictures. Spend the extra for Lithium batteries. The first camera I bought has never been shut off for extended periods and the batteries lasted ten months. Only time camera is shut off is to swap out SDcards, then turned right back on. The camera is now 14 months old and never been out of the woods.
I also have had a Browning Spec Ops. Great video and audio quality.
It was taken by greedy hands. My fault for not buying the security package for it.

Whichever camera you get just make sure it has a preview screen so you can see what the camera is actually seeing during setup.
Some cameras just come with a setup screen.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Mature technology

My son gave me a Browning and it worked well for a long time. I needed/wanted a second camera and bought what was on sale and surprise, it worked almost as well. The Browning now has a bad switch so I bought another sale camera and again, it's worked well.

I use mine for surveillance but it's also fun to see what critters walk by. At this point, I would look at the night flash distance, megapixels, response time, ease of set up and ease of mounting the camera and then buy what is on sale. To some extent the card you use influences the time between pix if you have burst mode.

I seldom use video because the cameras are some distance away and I might not get to check them frequently enough to make sure the cards don't fill up with video. I've had the same deer basically stand in front of the camera and graze so I might have 20 pictures of one deer before they move out of the frame. If it was video, that would fill up the card quickly.

For surveillance, you want the camera to fire quickly. I've got pix of intruders blowing by on ATVs when it appears they were moving pretty fast. They are a bit blurry but still recognizable. Yes, Dad is driving two kids on an ATV built for one. Other pix are more recognizable but if you see yourself in this one, just know that I have more and am building a file for the cops.

MFDC0845.JPG

Battery life is an issue, I use alkaline and have tried lithium. Summer isn't too bad but cold weather saps the batteries and requires more frequent replacement.

I will probably pick up another camera at a Christmas/after Christmas sale this year. Spares are good and past experience tells me I can get something very usable in the $75 range. I'd rather spend $150 on two cameras than one but your needs may be different.

One downside to buying what's on sale is the set up on each is different and if you change from single still to video to burst mode, you may need to have the instruction manual with you. I stick with a 2 pix burst 95% of the time so all I'm doing is changing cards and batteries. I can usually remember how to do those, lol.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I know nothing about the Browning line, but guys here seem to like them.

I needed a couple when we moved for finding what was running around out here.
Turns out I found out a bit about what brands are fine and what really isnt.
Wildgame Innovations seem to have the worst reviews Ive seen.
I didnt know this before I bought a pair. I found out soon after, and I agree.
Sure they take pictures. Sometimes. They dont always trigger properly, and the pictures they do take seem more blurry than not.
The ones I have have the no-light flash, which means there is no red light like on others. This is great if you dont want someone knowing its there, but it also greatly reduces the range at night.

Fast forward a year, and I got an email from somewhere (probably Natchez Shooters supply) about a sale/clearance on cameras again.
This time they had the Primos PROOF for $29.99. I bought two.
I love these. They dont miss anything like the others did. They are simple to set up, and if you put a big enough card, they will take a TON of high quality pictures before they run out of room.
They are low light flash at night, which means you can see the red light "flash" for the night vision. Its not a big deal, and the animals dont care, but a person might.

Most take black and white night time pictures, but there are now some that take color night pictures.
If you really want to get fancy, you can get one that you dont need to remove the card, or even go out to it, to check pictures. Some will connect to a network and allow you to download pictures. They arent cheap though...and I like cheap!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
If you have cellular signal and would like the pics sent right to your phone and or computer the Spartan Go Cam works pretty well.

I also Have 5 cuddie back game cams. Some of them are getting kinda old. They work fine. I’m not sure which models I have most of what I have is no longer available as they come out with new and improved cams every year. They all work but the older ones seem to be better than the new ones. Batteries life varies between cams, one of my cams can go 6 months or more on a set. I also have one the can hardly go 2 weeks on a set. Yet the cams look the same.

I think most brands will work well enough. It’s hard to tell which cam is better than another without running them side by side.
If camera size is important to you I’d get one that uses larger batteries as the bigger batteries will last longer. Manufacturers tend to go with AA to keep the overall size down. If you are putting the cam near a power source, look for a camera that can be plugged in to a 110 outlet. Some canes can be setup to be power by larger 6 or 12vt batteries.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered a Browning Dark Ops HD Pro last night. Like everything nowadays, too many options for a person that has NO idea what he's doing (that would be me). :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I run 3 BTC6 cams year round, had them out for 3 years now. The 6 standard Duracell copper tops last 9 months. Just this year I had a battery burst and now that cam is in-op.
lk
if it was a duracell battery complain with pictures to duracell. they should compensate you for the damaged equipment.
they replsced a $45 flashlight for me.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
if it was a duracell battery complain with pictures to duracell. they should compensate you for the damaged equipment.
they replsced a $45 flashlight for me.
Even after being outside for a year? Regardless, I pitched the batteries and cleaned up the camera. I'm going to send the camera back to Browning to see if they can fix it...

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Did Bushnell fix their "let's randomly shutoff for an unknown period of time and turn back on" problems yet? I've had 4 Bushnell cams and all 4 of them did the same thing, different generations of cam too... I ended up blasting them with a shotgun...

Maybe it was certain models. Mine never gave any problems to date.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts