Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweetie and I NEED to get out of town for a bit to recharge. She loves the water/beach/ocean and it's too hot to go to FL right now.

Does anyone have any destination suggestions for VA, NC or SC? I'd prefer an area off the beaten path that's not too "touristy". Doesn't have to be a ton to "do", but I would like some decent choices for local food.

We're going to Charleston for her son's wedding in late September. I wouldn't mind a destination that's close enough for a day trip into Charleston so we can preview the wedding venue, etc.

All I require is an internet connection so I can stay on top of things on GTT. :laugh:

THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
5,105 Posts
We did Kure Beach, NC a couple of years ago. It *is* a tourist area but not as bad as many, many others I've been to over the years. It's a good place to just hangout and relax.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Check out Assateague or Chincoteague Island. Hang out with real Mustangs while vacationing on the beach. Bring your 4WD vehicle and roam the dunes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Maggie Valley NC
low keyed and within a scenic driving distance of anything you'd want.
Enjoy your vacation where ever you decide.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could look up some of the camp grounds along the shore line, Cherrystone in VA, NC Outer Banks in Rodanthe Watersports and campground, or Castaways in Ocean City MD, Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. If you have an RV great if not they have rental trailer rvs or cabins on site. You can kick back relax, roast some S'mores.

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts
We like Emerald Isle, or Atlantic Beach NC both beaches maybe 10-15 people on the beach mid July behind the house we had rented.

Daughter ,friend and granddaughter asked us to go with them to Myrtle Beach .. Staying on the 15th floor, yes ocean front, don't think we're going to like this compared to renting a house. :dunno:

Oh well time will tell.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I would like to suggest Topsail Island, NC. I have been going there for 30 years (I almost feel like a local). It is exactly as you describe. We will be heading down there for the second time this year, next month. My parents have a house there. We hope to eventually live there, but those plans are quite a ways off. Coincidentally, my parents full time home is in the suburbs of Charleston. Charleston is also a great place. It is about a 4.5 hours right from Topsail. It would make a long day trip but....

Oh, and Topsail has internet.:good2:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would like to suggest Topsail Island, NC. I have been going there for 30 years (I almost feel like a local). It is exactly as you describe. We will be heading down there for the second time this year, next month. My parents have a house there. We hope to eventually live there, but those plans are quite a ways off. Coincidentally, my parents full time home is in the suburbs of Charleston. Charleston is also a great place. It is about a 4.5 hours right from Topsail. It would make a long day trip but....

Oh, and Topsail has internet.:good2:
My girlfriend's parents have rented a house on the north side of Topsail Island the second week in August. I've heard it's really nice. I'm hoping I can make it out there for a couple days.

My favorite place is Oak Island, NC. It's very low key and not touristy at all. The beaches are never crowded. The only bad thing is the handful of restaurants do get busy on the weekends.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Depending on budget, Kiawah Island is a beautiful place about an hour south of Charleston with great food and activities.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another vote for the Outer Banks NC. My inlaws have a house there, thus I have been multiple times. Good spot to relax (beach, fish, eat, etc.)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I do not know when you are going,,, but, prices of rooms plummet in early August,,,
It used to be after Labor Day,, but, the timing has changed since the schools are opening so early.

We went to Myrtle Beach earlier this year, before school let out,, the rooms were very low cost.
They sent us an email about how the prices would soon be going back down.

Summer price for the place we stayed at was ~$300 a night,,, out of season ~$139

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Here is another vote for Emerald Isle. My girl and I go there frequently. Little more of a quiet clientele for a resident-rental beach area. I found Topsail to have more hot rods, motorcycles and built diesel pickups roaring by than I care for when I am trying to unwind.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
HI found Topsail to have more hot rods, motorcycles and built diesel pickups roaring by than I care for when I am trying to unwind.

My parents have owned 2 houses there, at different times. The first house was bought in 1994 and sold in 2006 or 2007. It was at the south end. Your point about the vehicles is true during prime season in that area and in Surf City. Their current house, they bought when they sold the first one. It is at the north end, on the ocean. It is also 2 blocks from the highway. It is like being in no man's land no matter when you are there. So quiet!:good2:

Keep us posted Mark!

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Dob't tell anyone

My girlfriend's parents have rented a house on the north side of Topsail Island the second week in August. I've heard it's really nice. I'm hoping I can make it out there for a couple days.

My favorite place is Oak Island, NC. It's very low key and not touristy at all. The beaches are never crowded. The only bad thing is the handful of restaurants do get busy on the weekends.
Dang, don't say that. Oak Island is terrible, no one should ever go there. . . Over the last 30 years, it's gone down hill and I can't recommend it to anyone else. I'll let you know if it's gets any better after we go this year.

Treefarmer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts