Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in upstate SC, live in an established neighborhood, have probably a 1/4 acre of grass to cut all in the front yard. All I've ever used is a push power mower, the last 3 have been toro 6hp. The deck has deteriorated and the drive system is out of whack on my latest. Although mowing is about the only exercise I get, at 73 thinking about a riding mower. Something on the smaller size due to storage limitations, but i do have a hill to negotiate.

Suggestions please.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Can you provide more detail or a photo of the "hill". Other than that, based on the information provided you could get by with most anything - literally. Do you have a budget amount that you are looking to spend? That will greatly determine the recommendations.

I mean, while an entry level X3- or S2- something would be nice and do the job, even a big box store JD would probably do the job.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
If it's within your budget.

SZL_600.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would look at the X300 series.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I'm not a big fan of that style of riding mower. Too tall and narrow creating a high center of gravity. I have an elderly neighbor who has one and rolled it over. Fortunately he was not injured. They are $1200.

For another $100 you can get one of these. Much safer.

I guarantee this will do most anyone's 1/4 acre.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
I agree with the above posts that a craftsman or its ilk would be fine. A 300 deere would be more comfortable with a dealer that will fix it in a timely fashion.

My mom has a D series for theirs in Florida. Frankly it has been fine for them. Probably just jinxed her.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
I agree with the above posts that a craftsman or its ilk would be fine. A 300 deere would be more comfortable with a dealer that will fix it in a timely fashion.

My mom has a D series for theirs in Florida. Frankly it has been fine for them. Probably just jinxed her.
I have a D160 with a 48" deck. I mow 1.5 acres and I'm done in 40 minutes. So... a 1/4 acre.... 7 minutes. Hardly seems like it's worth starting it up for that ?

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Still waiting for OP to give us an idea of what his budget is. That, more than anything, will dictate the recommendation. Keep in mind, the OP has 1/4 acre and has been using a push mower.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Robo mower for 1/4 acre. Sit in the chair and watch it mow. I think Husky makes them.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The OP mentioned "hills". I would not recommend a zero turn. A conventional style tractor would be best. Even with a riding mower, there will still be trimming needed. At my OH residence, I have about 1/3 of an acre to mow. I use a SP walk behind mower. Takes me about an hour and I bag the grass.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
For 1/4 acre any rider will work, even with a hill you won’t use one long enough to damage the weakest hydros.

I’d be looking at an e110. I would buy it from an actual dealer though. Dealers do the setup and warranty repairs for the big box stores, but if you bought from them the chances of a quick warranty repair are much better, although it’s doubtful you’ll need one. If you don’t enjoy tinkering it’s probably worth getting one with the no drain oil changes. Swap the filter and hit the grease fittings once a year and you should have a decade or more where you only change the battery occasionally.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The OP mentioned "hills". I would not recommend a zero turn. A conventional style tractor would be best. Even with a riding mower, there will still be trimming needed. At my OH residence, I have about 1/3 of an acre to mow. I use a SP walk behind mower. Takes me about an hour and I bag the grass.
Actually, he mentioned "a hill" but gave us no further details. I asked if he could give us more detail or perhaps a photo. It could be the "hill" is nothing. Again, he has been using a push mower. A hill when using a push mower could end up being a non issue for a rider - any rider.

All inclines do not spell certain death for all low-end riding mowers. My brother has been mowing with a lowly LA105 for over 10 years and his yard is one giant slope. He also pulls around a large lawn cart and lawn roller. My dad has had a little $995 gear-drive Ariens for many years and has been going up and down steep hills. Not everyone needs a K72 transmission. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
^^^ Now that actually looks like a mower I would expect to see in 2020. That price though...ugh!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
^^^ Now that actually looks like a mower I would expect to see in 2020. That price though...ugh!
That’s the issue with EV riding mowers right now, they are priced 75-100% above their gasoline powered counterparts.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Even though I have owned and enjoyed many Deere lawn tractors and garden tractors on prior acreages, I have a slightly different take on residential lot mowing. I now own an ECO self propelled walk behind electric mower. The batteries are plenty powerful enough to mow our 1/4 are of grass back and front on a single charge, and not having to mess with gas and the related maintenance is a blessing when I was traveling and my wife had to take on the mowing chores. We are both in our mid-70's and I typically do not engage the power drive to get a bit more exercise to add to my nearly daily 2 mile walks. This mower can bag, mulch or side discharge with simple choice of baffels, and is light enough to not be a concern when the ground is too wet for a heavy rider.

I jut sold our 2007 X304 Deere lawn tractor -- the all wheel steer and 42 inch deck made it a candidate for smaller properties...but it was still way overkill for the 'age in place' residential home we now have (but worked well on the one acre golf course property we most recently had.) The x495 and the pair of 322 tractors were sold when we moved from the Oregon acreage some years ago, and that herd also included a 318 or two from time to time. So as I said I am a dedicated fan of Deere products and have enjoyed working on and jawing about them over the years -- but for practical reasons I now have the electric ECO mower. Also have the ECO electric snow machine for similar reasons...

Chuck

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I literally just orderered one of these yesterday for the grandson to mow the front lawn. My 14 yr old Honda still runs but its worn out. Its green too!

Tractor supply has them 50 bucks off

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I literally just orderered one of these yesterday for the grandson to mow the front lawn. My 14 yr old Honda still runs but its worn out. Its green too!
Nice. EV push mowers seem to be "just about there". For anyone with minimal mowing or trimming needs there are several models now that easily fill the need.

I know it's useless wishing but I just wish manufacturers of larger equipment like push and riding mowers would standardize on a common battery platform. It would likely greatly speed acceptance of EV equipment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts