Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I’d recommend an X380 with a 48” deck. Is it overkill for what you need, probably. But it’s a really nice machine. You’d have a smile on your face every time you use it and would be looking forward to the next time. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yep pretty much any riding mower will mow that with no problems.

Maybe something with power steering and power deck lift would make it easier and more comfortable. A nice used x390 would have that but it is way more than you need.

All this EV mower talk has me thinking about selling my Honda push mower for an electric.

·
Registered
622 Posts
X300 series and be happy. X500 series and be very happy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm not a big fan of that style of riding mower. Too tall and narrow creating a high center of gravity. I have an elderly neighbor who has one and rolled it over. Fortunately he was not injured. They are $1200.

View attachment 730853

For another $100 you can get one of these. Much safer.

View attachment 730854

I guarantee this will do most anyone's 1/4 acre.
I agree completely. Been there, done that.

Robo mower for 1/4 acre. Sit in the chair and watch it mow. I think Husky makes them.
We had the Husqvarna one at work for a while. I do not recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should take a look at the S240 with 42" deck, I think you would be very happy with it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
When I got this place I ended up going through 2 Cub Cadet rider mowers. Long story there. They cut fine and I enjoyed the slow ride. By the time the second one died we had so many things to mow around, trees and gardens and other things, that I decided to get a zero turn. I wasn't impressed by the ones with a steering wheel, and I did not want to keep my arms up in the air on the 2 control levers. I found one with a joystick and I really like it. Country Clipper makes them. The one I have has aged out, and like many zero turns they can be pricey, but mine works well for me. It was the steering that made my choice. Unfortunately, the one I have has a single cylinder Kohler engine, just like the 2 Cub Cadets. They had QC problems for a while. So far, this one is working OK, knock wood.

One thing I have found, it is a lot easier with a zero turn to leave skid marks than with the regular riders, on the same ground conditions. I haven't used my push mower in years. I wonder if it will start?

Really, get something you would like to use, test it out to see how it fits you. There are probably features that are important to you. Then decide how much you want to spend. Then enjoy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recently picked up an X350 and it’s a delightful machine. No power steering, but the steering is very easy and it has a very nice tight turn radius. It’s quiet and has the Kawasaki engine, which is nice and reportedly durable.

All that being said, I returned the X350 and swapped for the X370, which just arrived today.

Why?

Well, my wife is pretty tiny and not super strong. If she is going to operate this machine, she needs to be able to raise and lower the deck. The mechanical lift deck was a bit too much effort. The spring assist may have helped, but upgrading to the X370 keeps the 42” deck (which we need to be able to get through some gates), keeps the Kawasaki power plant, but adds
1) hydraulic deck lift
2) power steering
3) the K58

Both the deck and the steering are literally effortless. The specs say the turn radius isn’t as tight, but you’d never know it because of just how easy it is to steer, it’s quick to turn.

i haven’t had a lot of time on either machine, but both were nice to operate. Either get an endorsement from that perspective.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, my son offered up his Husqvarna riding mower that needed belt and blades. Got the belt, they shipped the wrong blades, so hopefully it will be in service for the next hair cut. Thanks to everyone for their ideas, and if this one doesn't work out, I will be back.

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
The average traditional garden tractor will mow at 4 mph and with a 48" deck, can mow 1.6 acres per hour. This assumes an average mowing efficiency of 80^%, which means that you are overlapping 20% of a 48" deck, or a little over 9".

I have actually measured mowing efficiency and found that on flat ground, an experienced mower can achieve about 88% efficiency. Now, mow up and down hills, straight to the top and straight to the bottom, and you are dropping to 80% efficiency. Mow sideways on hills, and the efficiency plummets down to 70% and that is when the person operating the mowing machine is paying attention.

Things which improve mowing efficiency include
  • Flat ground
  • Smooth ground
  • Mowing machine in good condition
  • Landscape beds with sweeping curves
  • Few trees and other obstacles
  • Less turning means more movement and more mowing
Things which diminish mowing efficiency include;
  • Uneven ground
  • Undulating lawn surfaces
  • Trees
  • Poorly maintained mowing equipment
  • Worn or loose mower deck and or drive belts
  • Having to manually change gears to change machine direction
  • Dull Lawn mower blades
  • Square or sharp cornered landscape beds
  • Equipment which is worn and makes steering challenging
  • Frequent directional changes
The vast majority of people over estimate their actual lawn area which needs to be cut. The smaller the property, the larger the percentage comprised by driveways, sidewalks, home's footprint, etc. Now with Google Maps, you can easily measure an actual lawn area very accurately to get the physical size of the grass area.

When in doubt, measure your actual lawn area which requires mowing and use realistic assumptions in your machines ground speed and mowing efficiency.

Here are some realistic mowing results

48" Mowing Deck
2 Miles per hour will mow .87 acres or 38,000 sq feet
3 Miles per hour will mow 1.31 acres or 57,024 sq feet
4 miles per hour will mow 1.75 acres or 76,032 sq feet
5 miles per hour will mow 2.18 acres or 95.040 sq feet
5.5 Miles per hour will mow 2.40 acres or 104,544 sq feet

60" Mowing Deck
2 Miles per hour will mow 1.09 acres or 47,520 sq feet
3 Miles per hour will mow 1.64 acres or 71,280 sq feet
4 miles per hour will mow 2.18 acres or 95.040sq feet
5 miles per hour will mow 2.73 acres or 118,800 sq feet
5.5 Miles per hour will mow 3.00 acres or 130,680 sq feet

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm a little late to this since you already got the mower from your son, but... I was going to recommend that you look around the neighborhood and talk to the mowing service companies in your area. If you contracted with one that also cuts a close neighbor's place, they could give you a good price if they don't have to make a separate stop at your place. The cost of a service to cut such a small lawn over the life of a rider might actually be less than buying and servicing a rider.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Well, my son offered up his Husqvarna riding mower that needed belt and blades. Got the belt, they shipped the wrong blades, so hopefully it will be in service for the next hair cut. Thanks to everyone for their ideas, and if this one doesn't work out, I will be back.
Depending on how much of that hill is actually a hill, with that Husky, you may what to consider wheel weights. The butt end of those machines is pretty light and without knowing the HP of your machine it may just spin the wheels on the hill.. You'll be the first to know if you need weights or not. Simple install and not expensive either. The tires on those are also not the greatest for grip..
Have fun.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My mother is 78. She still likes to push mow. Take her about an hour or so as she has two lots that her house sets on. My father always purchased either Craftsmen's or Cub Cadet push mowers. I purchased her a Honda HRX push mower. Electric start and a smooth transmission, it keeps her active and saves me from doing her lawn every week.

She is a real estate agent. She listed a house that had a D160 (I think) John Deere Rider. She offered to buy if no one wanted it. The mower went with the house. But she floated the idea of a rider. So I guess if a small one comes around I get her one.

One thing not mentioned is the driveway. Not sure where you are, and maybe you have this area covered, but with the Husky, you can get a blade or a blower for it. Makes the snow duties easier if you have those issues.

Hope it works out for you!

isaac

21 - 33 of 33 Posts