Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have experience mowing with a 3x20 mmm on moderatly dry lawns? Does it do a nice job our just gets the job done? I have 3/4 acres of flat lawn with wide radius corners on 10 acres of mostly chem fallowed, gently rolling dry land wheat ground with about 2000 ft of gravel driveways to maintain and lots of landscaping and digging to do. I'm looking for a 95% of the time right sized tractor. I have access to larger (80 hp with loader up to 8000 series) tractors for primary tillage when needed but nothing smaller. In the future I plan to establish about 6 acres of wine grape vineyards on the property. I'm leaning towards the 3320 with the 300cx and 72" autoconnect mmm and R4 tires. Any thoughts? I'm trying to do an all in one tractor if I can and a 3 point mower isnt going to work if my wife is going to operate it from time to time.

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my HTC EVO

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does anybody have experience mowing with a 3x20 mmm on moderatly dry lawns? Does it do a nice job our just gets the job done? I have 3/4 acres of flat lawn with wide radius corners on 10 acres of mostly chem fallowed, gently rolling dry land wheat ground with about 2000 ft of gravel driveways to maintain and lots of landscaping and digging to do. I'm looking for a 95% of the time right sized tractor. I have access to larger (80 hp with loader up to 8000 series) tractors for primary tillage when needed but nothing smaller. In the future I plan to establish about 6 acres of wine grape vineyards on the property. I'm leaning towards the 3320 with the 300cx and 72" autoconnect mmm and R4 tires. Any thoughts? I'm trying to do an all in one tractor if I can and a 3 point mower isnt going to work if my wife is going to operate it from time to time.

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my HTC EVO
Hello Ltlfarm; I wish I had a 72D myself but I just have the venerable 7 IRON MMM, it will work fine for what you want to do. I use it to cut 1.25 acres with slopes on my 3520 cab. If you think you will need more power, like I did, then you want to get a 3520 or 3720.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info! I haven't had a chance to take the 3320 for a test drive yet, but it sounds like from others on here that you lose traction before power when pulling implements. Do you find that is accurate? Would the extra power of the 3520 and 3720 be only useful in pto driven opperations? Do you feel that mowing with the 72d (with a mulch kit) would benefit from the extra power or would you only notice it in more demanding pto jobs? I don't plan to use the pto for anything other then mowing, spraying and post hole digging. Thanks again for the insite!

Sent from my HTC EVO

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 3320 is not turbo charged. If that is the case, I would go to the 3520 to get a turbo. Will it help mowing...... That might be up for debate. Down the road the resale on a 3520 would be greater IMHO.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thank you for the info! I haven't had a chance to take the 3320 for a test drive yet, but it sounds like from others on here that you lose traction before power when pulling implements. Do you find that is accurate? Would the extra power of the 3520 and 3720 be only useful in pto driven opperations? Do you feel that mowing with the 72d (with a mulch kit) would benefit from the extra power or would you only notice it in more demanding pto jobs? I don't plan to use the pto for anything other then mowing, spraying and post hole digging. Thanks again for the insite!
Sent from my HTC EVO
I would say if you are going with an OS, you should be okay, but if you are going with a CAB, then the 3520 or 3720 would be better for most situations. for example, the turbo-charged, slightly smaller engines make a big difference when you are mowing up and down sloped surfaces and are using the MMM, and AC on a hot day.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 3320 is not turbo charged. If that is the case, I would go to the 3520 to get a turbo. Will it help mowing...... That might be up for debate. Down the road the resale on a 3520 would be greater IMHO.
I definitely agree with Brian, and it does help with mowing, I had a 4310 prior to the 3520 and the 3520, mows through way more than the 4310 without difficulty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, thanks again for all of the info. I made a couple calls yesterday. One is for a 3320 OS that only has about 70 hours on it for 20k, and also called another dealership about a 3720 OS with about 750 hours on it but is still under warentee for 6 more months and listed at 19k..... Both machines have 300cx loaders but no mid pto...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome to the forum ltlfarm,

Have you considered the fact that a 72mmm and mid pto cost as much as a 320 rider? A rider might be better suited for the lawn and would be easier for everyone to operate. This would allow you to go with R1 tires for better traction for your field work. Deere also allows you a loyalty discount if you buy two machines within the same year as I understand.

The used prices you have mentioned seem to be high imo, for about the same money since you would have to add the mower decks and mid pto, you should be able to buy new with 0% financing. Full warranty can be the deal breaker too. Depending on your locale, you should be able to get about 15% or better discount off msrp on new equipment. I would spend some time on the Deere build your own site to get an msrp and deduct 15 to 18 % from that figure and make the dealer an offer. Much better to have a separate riding mower and utility tractor.:good2:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Great Point Steve! I'm totally with you on this one.
From time to time, some local dealers around me offer "Buy one Get One Free" deals....Cant say I've seen it with the Deere dealer, but I've seen it at some other dealers...buy a tractor larger then a 3x20 series and get a "free" riding mower. :laugh:

I love my 3520, but I cant say I'd want to mow with it (well, It WOULD be nice to be in the A/C with the radio cranked) but speed & cut quality wise, I cant beat my F935.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dave,
With only 3/4 of an acre to mow it doesn't make sense to go the 3x20 and mmm route.

For me a rider and a tractor with brushhog would be a better choice. My L130 mower would cut that much in under an hour.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dave,
With only 3/4 of an acre to mow it doesn't make sense to go the 3x20 and mmm route.

For me a rider and a tractor with brushhog would be a better choice. My L130 mower would cut that much in under an hour.
Steve, your 100% Right. 3/4 Acre isnt much.
Personally I probably mow only 1/4 Acre. Most of my lot is wooded :thumbsdown:
I dunno if I'd want to mow with any "Tractor" of any sort be it a riding mower or a 3x20...I'd have to reccomend a Front Mount or Zero Turn to go along with a tractor for working in the dirt or bush hogging. But the price on even the entry level ZTM's is a bit more then alot of the Riding Mowers.
Kinda in line with the Hoe vs Excavator debate, the Mid PTO, 7 Iron, and everything else you need for a complete mowing rig on a 3x20 is pretty much the same price as an entry level Zero Turn...or you can buy 2 of the Home Depot Deeres....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The original idea like most people was for an all in one machine and reducing how much needs to be stored, but I'm thinking that I may just pick up the tractor/loader and use a cub cadet from one of the ranches that isn't used any more. Then in the fall I will reevaluate my needs and may take advantage of the loyalty program or pick up the mmm then. I have found a dealer that has a new 3320 advertised 18,100 before adding the loader. Does that sound about right? It seems like a decent price for new...

·
Registered
430 Posts
The original idea like most people was for an all in one machine and reducing how much needs to be stored, but I'm thinking that I may just pick up the tractor/loader and use a cub cadet from one of the ranches that isn't used any more. Then in the fall I will reevaluate my needs and may take advantage of the loyalty program or pick up the mmm then. I have found a dealer that has a new 3320 advertised 18,100 before adding the loader. Does that sound about right? It seems like a decent price for new...
To give you a good answer we would need to know how the tractor is spec'd out, some of the options can add a lot to the base price. That is why I suggest to buyers to use the configurator on Deeres' site. Then take off about 15 % or better to get a better idea of what is reasonable.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome to the forum ltlfarm,

Have you considered the fact that a 72mmm and mid pto cost as much as a 320 rider? A rider might be better suited for the lawn and would be easier for everyone to operate. This would allow you to go with R1 tires for better traction for your field work. Deere also allows you a loyalty discount if you buy two machines within the same year as I understand.

The used prices you have mentioned seem to be high imo, for about the same money since you would have to add the mower decks and mid pto, you should be able to buy new with 0% financing. Full warranty can be the deal breaker too. Depending on your locale, you should be able to get about 15% or better discount off msrp on new equipment. I would spend some time on the Deere build your own site to get an msrp and deduct 15 to 18 % from that figure and make the dealer an offer. Much better to have a separate riding mower and utility tractor.:good2:
I actually have a Gx255 too. It cust in arreas that are a bit too steep for my tractor to mow fast, even though I can mow those areas with the 3520, the GX makes it a lot easier and less scary LOL! v It has a 54" deck, so with any of the kids, I can use both iunits simultaneously and cut my 1.2 acre lawn in record time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts