Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

I have a John Deere Model 950 that I need a backhoe attachement for.

I think a JD 8A or 8B will work but if you know of another one that will work I am open to suggestions.

I look forward to responses.

thanks

Brad

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Glad to have you here bradt! Where are you located? (Hint, update your profile.) I saw an 8A listed on Craigslist last week in the Nashville area. IIRC it was $2500.

:wgtt:

BTW, I moved your post to the compact tractor section for a better fit. :hi:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im located near Syracuse NY

Sorry about that. I am in Rome NY a small city near Syracuse.

If you have the link to the CL ad that would be great.

Thank you

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
Sorry about that. I am in Rome NY a small city near Syracuse.

If you have the link to the CL ad that would be great.

Thank you
No need to be sorry brother! That's what I'm here for. :hi:

Here's the listing I was referring to. Good news is, it it cheaper than I remembered. $2200.:thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
8,713 Posts
I had a #8 backhoe on a 950 back in the mid 80's. it was a good worker and I put over 1000 hours in it. That said, due to the 950's low hydraulic capacity you need to run the engine at 2300+ rpm to cycle the BH even slightly efficiently. It's tiring running at high rpm and getting little work done. I graduated to a 1070 and the difference was night & day. I could then run at 1200 rpm and the increased cycle rate was phenomenal. If you've run a larger backhoe in the past you may be disappointed with the #8 on your 950.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the input guys...................

I own a small 29 unit mobile home park and only need the attachment to uncover septic tank lids and an occasional water line. The tractor came with the park and works good for clean up and moving things around.

I have been looking for a newer machine but cant seem to get myself to justify spending $15-20k for the little bit I will use it.

All input is greatly appreciated on this machine and the capabilities of putting a backhoe on it.

thanks

Brad

·
Super Moderator
8,713 Posts
Brad, It will be fine for your intended use. I was doing some deep trenching and tree stump removal with my 950 / 8 and was significantly under equipped at the time.
Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts