Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this thread, the description of the garage/workshop building can be found but I'm looking for recommendations on floor drains. I've only been around a few, primarily PVC, and have a few other styles. The drain will only be for snow melt or rain dripping, not power washing or steam cleaning equipment. It will drain first into a dry well, with an extension out to daylight.

Those that have drains in the garage, what would you recommend AND perhaps more importantly what would you avoid?

·
Registered
572 Posts
My garage is two bays, 40 foot deep. I intentionally avoided drains. When the floor was poured, it is slightly sloped out towards the bay doors. Any residual water not absorbed or evaporated by the next morning is easily squeegeed out of the bay. In the past 5 years, I've had to use my squeegee once. it's worked well.

I only mention it as an alternative.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My garage is two bays, 40 foot deep. I intentionally avoided drains. When the floor was poured, it is slightly sloped out towards the bay doors. Any residual water not absorbed or evaporated by the next morning is easily squeegeed out of the bay. In the past 5 years, I've had to use my squeegee once. it's worked well.

I only mention it as an alternative.
That's not a bad idea, I worry though that with an insulated heated garage and our "typical winter" snow melt would cause problems when the water hits the cold approach. Usually it wouldn't be a problem, but when it stays well below freezing for a couple of weeks, then it could be an issue.

Has anyone had experience with this style?
floordrain1.png

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Darwin, I like the trench drains. I had a couple installed in my garage. They are located centered under the vehicles so the water runs directly under the vehicle. We never have to step in any water, dirt, sand, or snow. I really like the arrangement. I also have one at the bottom of my driveway to redirect runoff.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Garage floor drains around here are really tough to get accepted by code enforcement, I left them out for that reason.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the same setup that Randy just described. It has worked very well for 15 to 20 years. I also have radiant floor heat, pull the snow covered vehicle in at night and everything is dry including the floor by morning.

Rich

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I have the same setup that Randy just described. It has worked very well for 15 to 20 years. I also have radiant floor heat, pull the snow covered vehicle in at night and everything is dry including the floor by morning.

Rich
Same here, drains and floor heat. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Garage floor drains around here are really tough to get accepted by code enforcement, I left them out for that reason.
Yeah, I heard those rumors until the real investigating was done.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as it drains to daylight and is only for snow melt and tracked in water, it's not a problem. If one wants to set it up for power washing inside, that's another story and forces one to install all oil and sand separators. I have the right amount of slope to make it work.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Rich
I'll look further into this style, and yes, I'll have radiant heat with 3 zones: shop, garage, and bathroom. I think I'll do something different upstairs, not exactly sure what yet...

·
Registered
300 Posts
You're all making me jealous, drains that work, radiant heat, large spaces. To get that I have to take mine apart, move some 80' spruce trees, and start over.

Your mention of draining into a drywell caught my attention first so I had to read the rest.

My garage is about 15 years old based on lumber date stamps. It was built centered over the house drywell. One 8' corner of the slab had broken off and partly sunk sometime before we moved in 11 years ago. At least the footers seem stable. As part of getting the 100 year old farmhouse ready I replaced all the plumbing, and had to clean out the septic and drywell pipes. I ended up running the kitchen sink and washer out the drywell but had to stop that when hot soapy water flooded out from under the garage a few winters ago. Oh, the house water well is about 12' from the garage drain which is centered over the drywell. No wonder the water foamed. City water now, I wouldn't let the dogs drink the well yech. Wouldn't even water plants with it. Those spruce trees ate the shingles with moss (too shady and damp) and are past due replacement.

I want a new, bigger garage. I NEED a new, bigger garage. I will probably have to rebuild what I have instead. If I can just get the roof replaced with steel I should be ok for now. Then I can focus on expanding the pole barn, heh heh.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did a trough drain in my (now 5 years) garage floor. It drains to daylight and works great. Of course, here in Minnesota, it will freeze where it drains outside the wall and so there is a short length of heat tape that just lays in the pvc drain where it goes through the wall to daylight. The slot in the floor is about 1" and drops into a 2" pvc pipe. 1" hasn't been a problem to walk or roll over. Once in a while I drop a nut, bolt, or socket in the trough and have a magnet close by for the save. That heat tape keeps the floor draining just fine but there does end up being a bit of slick ground outside. The drain is on the north side of the house and I have low expectations (between salty water and no sunlight) of anything growing there. Last pic shows the length of heat tape (by the floor jack) running through a floor strip and then heads outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Something to think about with placement, if you are going to be working on vehicles, drains and creepers don’t mix well.

Just realized this is a 3 year old thread....

·
Registered
927 Posts
Where do they go?

The house I bought 22 years ago has floor drains in the garage. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea where they go. I have dropped a few things down the drain holes over the years. One time it was a couple cans of beer that fell out of the cooler I was draining the water out of. Oh well. Someday I might find out where they go...but as long as they drain, I don'r really care all that much. :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts