Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I came across this interesting antique part with the tag still on it when scrounging through my grandfather's old garage that my family inherited when he passed away 20 years ago. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it (name, use, potential tractor it goes to, etc.). It still has a tag on it which is really neat.

If you have any insight or can point me in the direction of someone who might I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks,
Cam

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Looks like part of a Hand Crank Start set-up.
Like it would mount to front of Crankshaft possibly...idk.

Seen similar parts but yet different. Should be ramped to release crank Handle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies! The tag says "HURRY THIS TO: C J. HENRY SON" and "ADAMS, NY" which I am thinking is the customer name and location (~20 minutes from where the part was found) as John Deere Plow Co, Syracuse NY is listed on the top (about 50 minutes from Adams).

I also have had difficulty making out the numbers listed on the part itself. @jd110 I think you may have found the answer! Definitely appears to be what is written on the tag and the part seems to match!

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
I assume the CJ Henry listed on tag would have been the dealer name. Anyone know where that might have been located? Might be Adam something under the name?
I had a connection with the Syracuse Branch in one way or another from 1953 to 1984. Dealer name or town is not familiar to me. Back in the days of corn binders, most every small town had a dealer.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I had a connection with the Syracuse Branch in one way or another from 1953 to 1984. Dealer name or town is not familiar to me. Back in the days of corn binders, most every small town had a dealer.
Don, I never looked at your profile before. Didn't realize you had been so involved in deere. Should have known since you are so knowledgeable. I made a few trips to Syracuse branch back in late 70's and early 80's for training. Was sorry to have Deere close it down. How long ago has it been?

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Don, I never looked at your profile before. Didn't realize you had been so involved in deere. Should have known since you are so knowledgeable. I made a few trips to Syracuse branch back in late 70's and early 80's for training. Was sorry to have Deere close it down. How long ago has it been?
I think mid-eighties. The employees there were first rate. Everyone was cooperative and helpful. I taught service school in the winter of 1968 in Syracuse and Baltimore. It was right after Deere made Syracuse the ag branch for the northeast and Baltimore the industrial branch. Most of the Baltimore dealers were not happy about the change, but they turned out to be good folks.

Did you know Wally Boston? Worked for Stevenson Equipment in Pocomoke and then as an Area Service Manager. He lived in Hempstead, MD after going to work for Deere.

PS You may want to reconsider the knowledgeable comment. It's been a long time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes, I know Wally. He lives maybe 10 miles away from me and up until about a year ago he was still working At a dealer in Damascus MD 1 or 2 days a week. We was the area service manager for the dealer I work for when I got started in the business. He is a very knowledgeable guy also and was not afraid to jump in and get his hands dirty, unlike the territory guys today. He is still active in local 2 cylinder club and takes some of his tractors to local shows.

I also remember the Baltimore branch in Timonium. The service schools there were very handy for us, only about a 40 minute drive. The unusual concrete building on Deereco Road is still a landmark with its concrete curved roof. We definitely were sorry to see that close. We made a parts run there every day. We now get daily parts from Grimsby, Ontario. My, how times have changed.

·
Administrator
18,756 Posts
The unusual concrete building on Deereco Road is still a landmark with its concrete curved roof.
I drive by there frequently...here is an aerial view:

And a side view showing the curved roof line.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Yes, I know Wally. He lives maybe 10 miles away from me and up until about a year ago he was still working At a dealer in Damascus MD 1 or 2 days a week. We was the area service manager for the dealer I work for when I got started in the business. He is a very knowledgeable guy also and was not afraid to jump in and get his hands dirty, unlike the territory guys today. He is still active in local 2 cylinder club and takes some of his tractors to local shows.

I also remember the Baltimore branch in Timonium. The service schools there were very handy for us, only about a 40 minute drive. The unusual concrete building on Deereco Road is still a landmark with its concrete curved roof. We definitely were sorry to see that close. We made a parts run there every day. We now get daily parts from Grimsby, Ontario. My, how times have changed.
You're right, Wally is a very knowledgeable guy. I haven't seen him in over 40 years. Glad to hear that he is doing well. We used to have a lot of fun working in the service department. When you run into him, tell him that I said hello. I have tried to find him through google but go nowhere.

If I'm not mistaken the building on Deereco Road has a suspended roof. I can remember being in there during a rain storm with water running from the top down. The water would collect in the low spots and apparently the drains were not designed well. Every time I go by there, which isn't often, I think about the time I spent there. That was just after I returned from Vietnam. I was young, 23 years old, and the last thing the southern dealers wanted to hear was a Yankee teaching them. After we got to know each other, we got along fine. It was a rough beginning though. Is Gladhill still the dealer in Damascus? If I remember right, the Gladhill (Sam?) that ran the Frederick store died quite young. When I used to go to Damascus, the building was an old building with wooden floors.

Thanks for the information on Wally. I need to try again to contact him.

·
Administrator
18,756 Posts
DR, yes Gladhill is still there in Damascus. FYI I think you're freind Wally is in Hampstead MD, not Hempstead, that may help track him down if JD110 does not have any contact info.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
DR, yes Gladhill is still there in Damascus. FYI I think you're freind Wally is in Hampstead MD, not Hempstead, that may help track him down if JD110 does not have any contact info.
OK, thanks. I spelled it wrong.

Thanks for the info, Kenny.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You're right, Wally is a very knowledgeable guy. I haven't seen him in over 40 years. Glad to hear that he is doing well. We used to have a lot of fun working in the service department. When you run into him, tell him that I said hello. I have tried to find him through google but go nowhere.

If I'm not mistaken the building on Deereco Road has a suspended roof. I can remember being in there during a rain storm with water running from the top down. The water would collect in the low spots and apparently the drains were not designed well. Every time I go by there, which isn't often, I think about the time I spent there. That was just after I returned from Vietnam. I was young, 23 years old, and the last thing the southern dealers wanted to hear was a Yankee teaching them. After we got to know each other, we got along fine. It was a rough beginning though. Is Gladhill still the dealer in Damascus? If I remember right, the Gladhill (Sam?) that ran the Frederick store died quite young. When I used to go to Damascus, the building was an old building with wooden floors.

Thanks for the information on Wally. I need to try again to contact him.
Gladhill is still the dealer in Damascus. Your memory is quite good. The building you remember is their old location. They built a new facility maybe 3 or 4 miles north on Route 27 probably 20 years or more ago. Their Frederick location also built a new facility maybe 10 or 15 years ago a few miles southwest of town.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
This a interesting conversation. Enjoyed.

Reactions: DRobinson
1 - 20 of 21 Posts