Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- Has anyone tried successfully in reducing the exhaust noise on their 1025R? My fathers 2305 is so much quieter than my new machine. Short of installing a generator muffler, what can be done?

·
Registered
364 Posts
The simplest way.....wear hearing protection.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,505 Posts
Never thought about it. I like the sound. :munch:
I like loud mufflers on my vehicles too. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
15,749 Posts
The sound of the 1025r is music to my ears! Never thought it was too noisy, and I don't wear ear buds. I like to hear what is happening with whatever it is I am running.
My FIL is the same way, he is 88 , since about the age of 70 can only hear certain sounds. I've worn sometype of hearing protection most of my life.
You can still hear when something is wrong sounding right.

God only gave you two ears ,,,,to hear with,

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wear ear protection. Ear muffs , ear plugs or both.
When I had my 1025R I though it was loud also. I now have a 3033R and it is a lot quieter than the 1025R, regardless I still wear ear protection.
You only have one set of ears along with one set of eyes. Protect them.:)

·
Registered
387 Posts
You would have to replace the muffler with a better one and/or increase the length of the exhaust pipe to have an impact on the noise generated.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Hey all- Has anyone tried successfully in reducing the exhaust noise on their 1025R? My fathers 2305 is so much quieter than my new machine. Short of installing a generator muffler, what can be done?
You would have to replace the muffler with a better one and/or increase the length of the exhaust pipe to have an impact on the noise generated.
I agree with Pilot-5, my suggestion would be to use a 2305 muffler. And, I agree with you, the 2305 is a very quiet machine. Let us know what you end up doing.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
24,102 Posts
Are you sure it is exhaust noise and not just the engine noise? I've never heard a loud exhaust on any of these small diesels. But if you are not used to the sound that a diesel engine makes.....they are just louder than a gas engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have run various types/sizes of farm equipment my whole life. The 1025r is a lot quieter than most of them. I always laugh at those people that put in ear phones, listening to music while running a tractor. You have to crank up the music so loud to even be able to hear it, that it seems like it would do more damage to your hearing than wearing nothing at all. Plus, you can't really hear what is going on around you at that point. From a safety standpoint, I have never been a big fan of that. I have young kids, and although they know to stay away from a running tractor, you just never know when they might in the way and you don't see them.

The only time I notice the 1025r being noisy is when I am against a building, and the exhaust/engine noise is bouncing off the building.

I do wear ear protection when running my chainsaw, as it is louder than my 1025r, and it will hurt your ears after running it all day without protection.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I thought about the same thing as the front of my property is close to a number of other homes and my 1025R is much louder than other peoples garden tractors (obviously.) However the 2305 muffler is about $350, plus you might need some custom tubing bent. At some point I am going to look at a different muffler and bending an exhaust pipe setup to make it quieter and so I also do not have to do the drain pipe mod for the exhaust exit.

Green Farm Parts: John Deere Parts Online at Discount Prices

Reactions: JKR

·
Registered
24,102 Posts
I have run various types/sizes of farm equipment my whole life. The 1025r is a lot quieter than most of them. I always laugh at those people that put in ear phones, listening to music while running a tractor. You have to crank up the music so loud to even be able to hear it, that it seems like it would do more damage to your hearing than wearing nothing at all. Plus, you can't really hear what is going on around you at that point. From a safety standpoint, I have never been a big fan of that. I have young kids, and although they know to stay away from a running tractor, you just never know when they might in the way and you don't see them.

The only time I notice the 1025r being noisy is when I am against a building, and the exhaust/engine noise is bouncing off the building.

I do wear ear protection when running my chainsaw, as it is louder than my 1025r, and it will hurt your ears after running it all day without protection.
Hearing protection is a serious issue.

I use a hearing protector head set that also has a radio and input jack. They take away 80% of the noise but I can still hear the engine and running implements which is also very important.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-...TF8&qid=1459949037&sr=8-1&keywords=work+tunes

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tractor-equipment-safety/36649-hearing-protection.html

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree, the 1025R is a noisy little bugger. My ears were ringing after trying out the mower deck for the first time. I think its the inherent noise of the engine, and less the actual exhaust, but definitely would be interesting to see if a muffler change has any effect. It seemed like the deck also contributed to the noise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hearing protection is a serious issue.

I use a hearing protector head set that also has a radio and input jack. They take away 80% of the noise but I can still hear the engine and running implements which is also very important.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-...TF8&qid=1459949037&sr=8-1&keywords=work+tunes

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tractor-equipment-safety/36649-hearing-protection.html
Great suggestion - I bought the 3M WorkTunes and they have exceeded expectation. The reception and quality of sound is shockingly good.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like the concept of the Supertrapp spark arrestor and resonator. Unfortunately I am working in another state so I cannot just go out and measure it! Would anyone know that diameter off hand? I might get it and see if there is enough room to fit the 3S with discs and resonator on the end of the exhaust without getting in the way of the movement arc of the loader stand. Unfortunately it looks like for a 25HP engine and resonator it would need 16 discs (maximum supported is 18.)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree, the 1025R is a noisy little bugger. My ears were ringing after trying out the mower deck for the first time. I think its the inherent noise of the engine, and less the actual exhaust, but definitely would be interesting to see if a muffler change has any effect. It seemed like the deck also contributed to the noise.
The mower deck is a whole other animal with its own increased noise.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Noise cancelling headphones work extraordinarily well. You also have the option to Bluetooth music to them from a portable compatible device, if you see the need.
-Lou

Reactions: Levi and JKR
1 - 20 of 62 Posts