Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Noise cancelling headphones work extraordinarily well. You also have the option to Bluetooth music to them from a portable compatible device, if you see the need.
-Lou
Lou, what brand do you use?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have run various types/sizes of farm equipment my whole life. The 1025r is a lot quieter than most of them. I always laugh at those people that put in ear phones, listening to music while running a tractor. You have to crank up the music so loud to even be able to hear it, that it seems like it would do more damage to your hearing than wearing nothing at all. Plus, you can't really hear what is going on around you at that point. From a safety standpoint, I have never been a big fan of that. I have young kids, and although they know to stay away from a running tractor, you just never know when they might in the way and you don't see them.

The only time I notice the 1025r being noisy is when I am against a building, and the exhaust/engine noise is bouncing off the building.

I do wear ear protection when running my chainsaw, as it is louder than my 1025r, and it will hurt your ears after running it all day without protection.
That's not entirely true. The ear buds and ear muffs remove a certain amount of noise. Usually you see a dB rating on ear protection. The speakers only have to over power the reduced level, not the full noise of the machine. I grew up running all sorts of loud stuff on the farm. You don't really understand how bad that noise is on your ears till you use hearing protection. I got a set of ear muffs when I got my 1911 and tried them mowing once. Got a set of 3M muffs with a radio and never go with out them now. 36 years old and like my hearing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,102 Posts
That's not entirely true. The ear buds and ear muffs remove a certain amount of noise. Usually you see a dB rating on ear protection. The speakers only have to over power the reduced level, not the full noise of the machine. I grew up running all sorts of loud stuff on the farm. You don't really understand how bad that noise is on your ears till you use hearing protection. I got a set of ear muffs when I got my 1911 and tried them mowing once. Got a set of 3M muffs with a radio and never go with out them now. 36 years old and like my hearing.
It was quite amazing after wearing hearing protection for a few years - one day forgot and fired up the belly mower - I couldn't believe how loud it sounded!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Exactly what I thought. My ears never really felt weird after mowing as it was just normal. Now if I do something that was loud with out my muffs I can really feel it in my ears. Anything you can hear over the running mower with out hearing protection you will hear with hearing protection. Plus if you protect your ears now you'll be able to talk with your kids and grand kids later without hearing aids. In the words of the great Gizmo2, just saying.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
I like the concept of the Supertrapp spark arrestor and resonator. Unfortunately I am working in another state so I cannot just go out and measure it! Would anyone know that diameter off hand? I might get it and see if there is enough room to fit the 3S with discs and resonator on the end of the exhaust without getting in the way of the movement arc of the loader stand. Unfortunately it looks like for a 25HP engine and resonator it would need 16 discs (maximum supported is 18.)
I have no experience with Supertrapp usage on small tractor 4t or diesel engines. On dirt bikes and quads, what I've seen/heard are that they're either extremely loud when unrestricted or they restrict performance when you attempt to reduce sound level. These engines perform at a much higher rpm level so maybe the effect on a low rpm tractor engine might not be as drastic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well I spoke with the manufacturer of the Supertrapp spark arrestors (the muffler that would go on the end of the pipe) and they said that they are getting out of the spark arrestor business. Their setup would be to have their adapter with ring diffusers clamped to the exhaust exit. Varying the number of diffusers would vary the noise reduction. Adding their resonator could reduce another 5-9db of sound. Of course this is to lower the exhaust noise and not mechanical noise. The setup seemed promising however it would add about 3.5 lbs to the end of the exhaust, which I would want to be supported by some sort of bracket. The other downside is that the setup would retail for around $200 -- without actually knowing how much quieter it would make the tractor. The length the diameter of the 3S (3" diameter spark arrestor) would comfortably fit within the space between the side panel and front wheel and not touch the loader stand (I mocked it up to test.)

Maybe there is a way to continue the exhaust vertically or to the right side of the tractor? Might have to step the diameter up to avoid increasing back pressure.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I recent picked up a set of the 3M Work tunes as well because my Z950R is so much louder than my X585. I got the Bluetooth version and overall they work really well and have great sound quality. The only complaint is the radio keeps defaulting to frequency mode rather than staying on recall mode when I turn it on and the jog wheel is really sensitive. In frequency mode if anything brushes against the jog wheel it changes the frequency to nothing but static on a nonexistent channel. If it would stay in or default to recall mode it would just jump to the next preset station.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
exhaust vs engine noise and Dynamat

I wont be able to measure the sound reduction, but I'll let you know if DynMat helps with engine noise on my 1025R. I'm going to put it under the hood next week. It's done wonders on cars for me: under the hood, under the floor, in the doors.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You could download a sound level app for your phone. It might not be the most accurate measurement but it should give a value for the relative difference.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dynamat (or similar) is a fantastic idea. I would think it would need to be a rated product for under-hood temps. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Would Dynamat do much to reduce the noise? It seems that there is a lot of space not covered by the hood and side panels. But either way they do make an under the hood mat specifically for high temp applications.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
1025R NOISE reduction

I'll let you know what the results are later next week. I'm going to use a cellphone app to measure sound levels from the driver's seat with and without Dynamat or similar product. In my experience with planes and helicopters, if the sound is "aimed" away from the receiver, it's a oood result. The noise will still go downward, but less will go outward and some will be absorbed by the Dynamat. Yes, theyy make a product that can be used under the hood. For the exhaust, I've seen a wrap on motorcycle exhausts that deadened the resonance of the tailpipe - the part of the pipe after the muffler. It can be put on the exhaust pipe - the part between manifold and muffler. I'll probably try that, too. And I'll keep wearing custom fit silicone earplugs which are not expensive and which do a good job of noise attenuation.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I recent picked up a set of the 3M Work tunes as well because my Z950R is so much louder than my X585. I got the Bluetooth version and overall they work really well and have great sound quality. The only complaint is the radio keeps defaulting to frequency mode rather than staying on recall mode when I turn it on and the jog wheel is really sensitive. In frequency mode if anything brushes against the jog wheel it changes the frequency to nothing but static on a nonexistent channel. If it would stay in or default to recall mode it would just jump to the next preset station.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You have a full time hot wire connected to the battery? Sounds like it has one (extra power wire) but is connected to a switched circuit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sparks45

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
You have a full time hot wire connected to the battery? Sounds like it has one (extra power wire) but is connected to a switched circuit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I guess I am not following what you are saying? The Worktunes are headphones built into hearing protectors. They are wireless and run off a set of AA (or was it AAA) batteries.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Would Dynamat do much to reduce the noise? It seems that there is a lot of space not covered by the hood and side panels. But either way they do make an under the hood mat specifically for high temp applications.
Correct but the matting should provide good absorption (and not reflect the sound through the open areas.

I'll let you know what the results are later next week. I'm going to use a cellphone app to measure sound levels from the driver's seat with and without Dynamat or similar product. In my experience with planes and helicopters, if the sound is "aimed" away from the receiver, it's a oood result. The noise will still go downward, but less will go outward and some will be absorbed by the Dynamat. Yes, theyy make a product that can be used under the hood. For the exhaust, I've seen a wrap on motorcycle exhausts that deadened the resonance of the tailpipe - the part of the pipe after the muffler. It can be put on the exhaust pipe - the part between manifold and muffler. I'll probably try that, too. And I'll keep wearing custom fit silicone earplugs which are not expensive and which do a good job of noise attenuation.
Very cool, please let us know what you find. I'm betting on very good results from the absorption of the typical diesel clatter. See if you can install some material on the kickpanels beneath the steering wheel and by your feet.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Stick-um?

What adhesive does one use to stick soundproofing to plastic under-hoods/panels?

·
Registered
387 Posts
It normally has a self adhesive backing.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Supertrapp

Well I spoke with the manufacturer of the Supertrapp spark arrestors (the muffler that would go on the end of the pipe) and they said that they are getting out of the spark arrestor business. Their setup would be to have their adapter with ring diffusers clamped to the exhaust exit. Varying the number of diffusers would vary the noise reduction. Adding their resonator could reduce another 5-9db of sound. Of course this is to lower the exhaust noise and not mechanical noise. The setup seemed promising however it would add about 3.5 lbs to the end of the exhaust, which I would want to be supported by some sort of bracket. The other downside is that the setup would retail for around $200 -- without actually knowing how much quieter it would make the tractor. The length the diameter of the 3S (3" diameter spark arrestor) would comfortably fit within the space between the side panel and front wheel and not touch the loader stand (I mocked it up to test.)

Maybe there is a way to continue the exhaust vertically or to the right side of the tractor? Might have to step the diameter up to avoid increasing back pressure.
I'm sorry to hear about Supertrapp. I have one on a 16 hp Kohler on an old Woodmizer. The spark arrestor works well but I can't say it's really quiet. However, with all of the dust coming off the mill, I'm more interested in the spark arrestor part. I replaced it once and got the replacement though Jack's Small Engines. They may or may not still have them in stock.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
387 Posts
Jacks is out of them and is obviously not going to carry any more.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts