Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Dynamat - now I can hear the exhaust!

OK, here's what I did today re: noise. I tried to get a decent sound level reading with a cell phone. That was not very successful because it doesn't have any way to measure the "quality" or "acceptability" of the sound from the tractor engine. I checked it before adding the Dynamat to the complete underside of the hood and 90+% of both side panels. The side panels have big cooling gills in them and that is a source of sound we can't cover. The side panels do not enclose the engine fully, so we can't do anything with that lower portion of the engine, either.

I checked it again with the cell phone after applying the Dynamat. The results are not too scientific because of equipment and app limitations, but it looks like 25-30% drop in the sound levels at all engine speeds (no load). Teh biggest drop in sound was measured from the driver's seat, not from either side.

This is subjective, but to me the difference in the pitch of the sound (especially at the driver's seat) is more noticeable than is the reduction in sound level. I can actually hear the sound of the exhaust from the muffler now. Before applying the Dynamat I could not distinguish exhaust noise from engine noise. Now I can hear the muffler doing its job. This is a big improvement.

I ordered the Dynamat on Amazon for about $35. Nine sheets arrived and I have 5 left. I'll use them in the early '64 MGB I'm restoring. I removed the hood and the side panels, laid them on towels on the workbench to prevent scratching them, wiped everytigbn clean wiht a damp towle, dried it all off, laid a sheet (paper side down) on the inside of a side panel, cut the sheet to shape with a box cutter, removed the paper backing off the sheet and carefully applied it firmly using a deep 3/4" ("1/2" drive) socket to roll it on smoothly and firmly - especially at the edges. I laid a second sheet on the remaining area of the side panel and repeated the process until I had it covered. I stayed 1.5" away from the attachment lugs so the Dynamat's thickness won't interfere with the panel fit on the tractor. Don't cover up the gills or the fuse block decal. I used the same procedure on the hood, leaving the informational decal under the hood bare.

Would I do this again? Yes.
Does it make it a quiet tractor? No, but it sure is better. :bigthumb:

Tools needed: a towel to wipe off dirt and dust (use it again on the workbench or floor), box cutter, roller device, 10mm socket with ratchet, 10mm end wrench.

It took me longer to type this report than do the application.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Did you install Dynamat under the Dynamat hood liner or just the Dynamat?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've got a roll of fat mat (dynamat competitor) leftover from when I did my truck sound deadening project several years ago. Looks like I'll be using some of that on the ol' 1025 soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I liked this idea the first time I saw it mentioned in this thread. Thanks for reporting back!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
NOT Dynamat - my error

I have used Dynamat in cars and trucks, but this time I didn't use it. I saved lot of money :gizmo: and used this instead: Noico 80 Mil X 18 Sq Ft Self-adhesive Foil & Butyl Mat Audio Deadening and Sound Dampening Automotive Insulation (Sound Deadener for Cars & Trucks). It came from supplier on Amazon.com

I am sorry to have misstated the product. :banghead: I am still happy with the results. :bigthumb:

Additional installation info: For best results, be sure to roll out the material so all of the stamped design on the foil is flat and smooth. That insures it will adhere fully to the panels.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
heat?

It says it's OK to use it up to 212F, which should be OK. It doesn't touch the engine and there's good airflow under the hood. Genuine Dynamat has the same rating and I've put it under the hood and on thin metal floorboards over catalytic converters and mufflers with acceptable results. YMMV

Reactions: mwfromva

·
Registered
387 Posts
With Dynamat under a hood or in an engine compartment for best results you are supposed to lay Dynamat down first and then Hood Liner over it for the heat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Approx how many sqft would you estimate were used?

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
It will be curious to see how the Dynamat and other sound deadening applications affect the under hood operating temperatures while using the machine over time. Under heavy load and in dirty conditions (brush hog mowing, other mowing, etc.), these Yanmar diesels can escalate in operating temperatures. I wouldn't be surprised that some of the operating noise actually is sourced from the composite panels vibration and the sound deadening would certainly help reduce that source.

The air flow on these small engines is critical in their effective cooling. Clearly, the vents, screens and other fresh air sources of the hood and side panels can not be covered with any sound deadening material without adverse affects. It's also important to keep in mind that with a 6 year factory warranty, such modifications to either the exhaust system and / or lining the panels with sound deadening could become an issue if your tractor were to experience performance or cooling issues. This is the actual language from Deere's residential Warranty Statement;

WHAT IS NOT WARRANTED – JOHN DEERE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING:

(1) Used Equipment; (2) Any Equipment that has been altered or modified in ways not approved by John Deere, including, but not limited to, setting injection pump fuel delivery above John Deere specifications; (3) Depreciation or damage caused by normal wear, lack of reasonable and proper maintenance, failure to follow operating instructions, misuse, lack of proper protection during storage, or accident; (4) The Utility Vehicle if used for racing or any other competitive activity; (5) Normal maintenance parts and service; (6) Golf & Turf Equipment is warranted under separate warranty.

I also wonder about the actual performance impacts of altering the factory mufflers and exhaust systems. I have found that engines need a certain range of back pressure to run optimally and too much back pressure or too little system back pressure can easily reduce the engines overall performance. Often, at the drag strip, someone would "uncap" their headers (removed the mufflers bolted to the end of the exhaust headers) and usually, it actually slowed the vehicle down in 1/4 mile elapsed times, verses running the correct combination of exhaust headers and mufflers.

We used to make custom exhaust headers for drag race vehicles and it was critical to keep the tubes lengths very close and to be careful about bend angles, tubing radius, etc. due to the increase in flow resistance it can cause. Even the finished product coating selection made a difference in performance. But when you are in a sport where the difference between wins and losses can be as little as 0.0001 seconds, you need to pay attention to these minute details.

Count me in the wearing hearing protection crowd. I always wear custom ear buds which are plugged into my MP3 player and then I wear the 3M style sound deadener's over them. This arrangement provides me with the best music sound quality and hearing protection combination. I have found that if you pay close attention to when you are operating any machine, you can become very familiar with it's operational sounds and vibrations, even while wearing the hearing protection setup I described.

It's possible to sense if there is something going wrong even when wearing hearing protection just based upon changes in the sounds and vibrations which are part of the "normal" operation. It does take some time to develop a benchmark for it's operation when wearing hearing protection, but once you have established that "normal" sound and feeling, variations which you sense are worth paying attention to.

Reactions: Creekdrifter

·
Registered
503 Posts
1025R Noise

Mine is pretty quiet. It's the 54" MMM that is loud as hell. I wear protective ear gear or wireless headphones and listen to Pandora.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Still OK after 5 hours working it hard

After 5 hours working it hard in 88F heat (not really that hot, but...), the stuff is still holding fast. I washed down the machine and after the engine had cooled, washed it including a good soaking and rinsing under the hood. Another 3 hours today and the material is still holding fast. I really like it quieter. Even my wife noticed it. :yahoo:

Reactions: jbfrancis3

·
Registered
223 Posts
Measured Underhood Temps

I did rough'n'tumble experiment yesterday by duck-taping barbecue prob on the underside of the 1025R hood. I put the probe directly above the exhaust muffler (on the 1025R this is located on the left/rear section of the engine compartment as viewed from the driver's seat). The display is remote with a magnetic base which I stuck on the FEL mounting frame so I could watch the temps.

Outside temps were 81F. I then mowed for 1.5 hours and noticed the probe temp never exceeded 119F. When I paused and idled down (to open a fence gate), temps crept up a few degrees.

Anyway, the purpose was to get a sense of underhood temps. I was quite surprised they remained as low as observed. If I give a 20% cushion for the probe not being accurate, that is still 143F - much lower than I would've expected.

And then the reason for understanding underhood temps is to see if they are beyond the Dynamat specs. Dynamat Xtreme is optimized up to 140F but can withstand 300F. Source:
Dynamat.com | Dynamat Xtreme And SuperLite Vibration Dampers

I plan to test a few other areas under the hood.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
heat with noise under hood

I now have 9+ hrs on it since application of the material without a problem. I wash it every day, even hosing it under the hood, but the materials are fine.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
262 Posts
heat with noise under hood

I now have 9+ hrs on it since application of the material without a problem. I wash it every day, even hosing it under the hood, but the materials are fine.
I know this is an old post. How's it holding up after the years?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I'm curious as well. I'm fixin' to dynamat and dynaline the cab floor and sides of my 3039R for both sound and temp isolation but I had not considered under the hood too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great suggestion - I bought the 3M WorkTunes and they have exceeded expectation. The reception and quality of sound is shockingly good.
I have a set of these that I move from shop to tractor, but it seems as if they are always in the wrong place. So I don’t wear them as often as I should.

Recently I tried my Bose QC35II noise cancelling headphones on the tractor while mowing, and found them quieter, lighter, and much more comfortable. So now they’re my tractor headphones.

My first set of hearing aids are coming next week. Wife got tired of repeating things and dragged me kicking and screaming to the hearing aid store. Do you guys with hearing aids wear them on the tractor, or remove them, or put headphones on over them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a set of these that I move from shop to tractor, but it seems as if they are always in the wrong place. So I don’t wear them as often as I should.

Recently I tried my Bose QC35II noise cancelling headphones on the tractor while mowing, and found them quieter, lighter, and much more comfortable. So now they’re my tractor headphones.

My first set of hearing aids are coming next week. Wife got tired of repeating things and dragged me kicking and screaming to the hearing aid store. Do you guys with hearing aids wear them on the tractor, or remove them, or put headphones on over them.
I'm hearing impaired, and remove my hearing aids plus use hearing protection while mowing and chipper use, but for other tractor related chores, I dial the volume down on the hearing aids.

Reactions: ClydeLogan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey all- Has anyone tried successfully in reducing the exhaust noise on their 1025R? My fathers 2305 is so much quieter than my new machine. Short of installing a generator muffler, what can be done?
Dang is yours really that loud? I mean mines loud but no where near to the point of needing ear protection, it’s about the same as my hustler zero turn was, I usually wear my headset so I can listen to music while mowing but anything else I like to be able to hear everything going on, my like I’d put ear plugs in and a rod start knocking and won’t hear it untill it’s too late lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dang is yours really that loud? I mean mines loud but no where near to the point of needing ear protection, it’s about the same as my hustler zero turn was, I usually wear my headset so I can listen to music while mowing but anything else I like to be able to hear everything going on, my like I’d put ear plugs in and a rod start knocking and won’t hear it untill it’s too late lol
You can hear unusual noises from the tractor even wearing noise cancelling headphones.

I failed to wear hearing protection for most of my life, even years ago when the Navy issued them to us for high noise environments. I never used ear protection with my chain saws, my wood shop equipment, or on the tractor, or when my head was only a couple of feet away from surgical drills and saws for 30 years of my life. I never though I’d have hearing loss, only old people had that.

Yesterday I picked up my first pair of hearing aids. Almost $6,000. My Sony noise cancelling earphones were cheap by comparison at $329.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts