Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at rotary cutters for a few weeks and have narrowed it down to the JD MX10 pull type and the Woods DS120 pull type. I asked for opinions on the DS120 in another post and received positive feedback on the Woods unit. I thought that I was given a good price on the DS120 but after much research I have found that the price is just average. The price on the DS120 was $6500.00 plus 8.75% sales tax. I also received a price on the MX10 from the JD dealer where the tractor was purchased and the price was $7000.00 out the door. After asking more questions of the dealer with the DS120 I learned that the unit he has is new but is 1 year old and they would have to change it over to the pull type. I was hoping that some of you may have some experience with the new MX cutters. I had read in some posts here that the MX line had some gearbox problems in the past and thought that it had been corrected. It will be a few months before I will need the cutter not to mention I will have to save up some money to pay for it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking at rotary cutters for a few weeks and have narrowed it down to the JD MX10 pull type and the Woods DS120 pull type. I asked for opinions on the DS120 in another post and received positive feedback on the Woods unit. I thought that I was given a good price on the DS120 but after much research I have found that the price is just average. The price on the DS120 was $6500.00 plus 8.75% sales tax. I also received a price on the MX10 from the JD dealer where the tractor was purchased and the price was $7000.00 out the door. After asking more questions of the dealer with the DS120 I learned that the unit he has is new but is 1 year old and they would have to change it over to the pull type. I was hoping that some of you may have some experience with the new MX cutters. I had read in some posts here that the MX line had some gearbox problems in the past and thought that it had been corrected. It will be a few months before I will need the cutter not to mention I will have to save up some money to pay for it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I went through this same evaluation a couple months ago and didn't purchase either one. I ordered a Howse HD10A w/chains (in green) pull shredder for <$5k. Yes, the other two shredders are probably a little nicer/better, but could not justify the extra $ (~$2500+) in my area. I store my equipment in a shed, so the smooth deck is no big deal for me. You can go to the Howse web site for more info, but basically, total weight on all three are within a ~100 lbs or so. I have owned a 6' Howse rotary cutter for ~ 15 years and still works fine. My 2 cents. Best wishes on your decision! SB

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I will not be buying until later in the summer so I still have some time to run up on a deal. I was just hoping that someone here might have some insight on the new larger MX cutters.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
The MX cutters are decent, if you're looking at a new model.

You might also look at Kodiak cutters, they're stout equipment and a bit less expensive than the MX mowers.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MX cutters are decent, if you're looking at a new model.

You might also look at Kodiak cutters, they're stout equipment and a bit less expensive than the MX mowers.
Thank you 56, I will take a look at those also

·
Registered
200 Posts
Could you lads help me out, I haven't used a three point hitch since the 90's.
If the control is all the way down, does it float?

I am looking at a 3ph 60" finishing mower.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes. There are very few tractors (a few made by Kubota and Belarus) that have down pressure on the three point hitch. Otherwise they all float.
Thanks, I couldn't for the life of me remember. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yes. There are very few tractors (a few made by Kubota and Belarus) that have down pressure on the three point hitch. Otherwise they all float.

Actually, the new 4R series have 3pt down force as an option now.

Dave

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
Actually, the new 4R series have 3pt down force as an option now.

Dave
Correct, limited to 500lbs. But remember that any downforce means less traction since the wheels will become unloaded by an equal amount.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Correct, limited to 500lbs. But remember that any downforce means less traction since the wheels will become unloaded by an equal amount.

Yep, that is why I am not interested in that option.

Dave

Reactions: budman
1 - 11 of 11 Posts