Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 3038E owner, and I'd like to get a 3 pt brush hog or 3 pt mower for it. Planning to use it to clip pastures when sheep have been moved off (an acre at a time), and mowing a new 4 acre field 2-3 times per year. Don't need it to go through brush, just overgrown pasture plants up to 3' tall. Questions: brush hog or finish mower or other? Width? Brand recommendations? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3038E, AV20H Root Grapple, 370B Backhoe, BB50 Box Blade, RB20 Rear Blade, Woods BB72X Rotary Cutter
9 Posts
I have a 3038E with a Woods BB72X Rotary Cutter. It's a beast. I got it wider than the tractor to get closer to obstacles and to finish a little quicker. I regularly cut the 2" stuff it's rated for and I have certainly gone over that with ease on occasion. For your application I'd still say it's better to have it and not need it. The only negatives I would add, and I have yet to look into it, is the annoying audible drone that develops right in the sweet spot between 530 and 570 rpms. Hopefully it's not normal. That and a finish mower would give a cleaner, more uniform cut at a set blade height. Good luck and congrats on the tractor!

·
Registered
2038r
310 Posts
A 3038 can run a 6’ implement no problem. You may want to look into a flail mower with hammer knives. This would be more of a hybrid between a finish mower and brush hog. The finish mower could get beat up going through thistles and other brushy things in a pasture. Check out Titan Implement, they’re based out of Tennessee
FL Series Mower | Titan Implement, LLC

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
403 Posts
Your 3038E tractor has 30 PTO horsepower, and Rhino says their TS10 10 ft flex wing mower can be used on a tractor with as little as 25 PTO horsepower.

I love mine, and it does a beautiful job mowing. You can't see it in the picture, but there are 3 terraces on this field and I just sit a mower tire on top of the terrace and mow both sides before mowing the rest. Having a flex wing is a great way to go for larger areas. It doesn't scalp uneven ground like a 10 ft straight mower can do.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Tractor

It is very easy and smooth for the tractor PTO to spin up those 3 blade spindles.

I made the mistake of buying a very heavy duty 7 ft single spindle rotary cutter for my 4 series tractors, and only used it one time because it shook the tractor violently on start-up and I could even feel vibration like it was flexing the motor mounts when using it. I was afraid that it would damage the tractor. No more large single spindle mowers for me.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
TS 10 if its in the budget is a great choice.
If your needing less expensive, I have become very partial to a flail type over a traditional brush hog style mower.
I am sure there is one of those that would work well just take a lot longer to mow vs a 10ft TS10.
However only mowing a few times a year I would think the flail would work quite well.
The Flail has a much smaller footprint compared to any of the traditional brush cutters, so storage takes up a lot less space. Also from what I am seeing the flail is really durable, no blades to get bent my an underlying stump or rock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
New 3038E owner, and I'd like to get a 3 pt brush hog or 3 pt mower for it. Planning to use it to clip pastures when sheep have been moved off (an acre at a time), and mowing a new 4 acre field 2-3 times per year. Don't need it to go through brush, just overgrown pasture plants up to 3' tall. Questions: brush hog or finish mower or other? Width? Brand recommendations? Thank you in advance.
It sounds like you are doing some rather light duty mowing and all these other suggestions are kind of overkill! You could use either a 5 or 6’ bush hog. I have had a Bush Hog brand, a Woods BB60, but my newest is a Land Pride Medium duty (heavier and more blade tip speed than the others) RCF2060. I have a lot of trees to mow around so I have a 5’ and it cuts very nicely. I cut my 6-7 acres and several neighbors properties and have not sharpened the blades after 2 seasons, it’s a tough machine!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm a new 3038e owner also, bought it Feb 2021. I recently bought a 1 year old RC2060 for my unit. clutch plate instead of shear pin, and front and rear chain debris guards. I found it on a FB marketplace search for 1500 locally. changed the gearbox oil as recommended before use. Runs great and happy with purchase. As much as you're hunting for one, someone on FB is looking to sell one, just a suggestion for the hunt.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Your 3038E tractor has 30 PTO horsepower, and Rhino says their TS10 10 ft flex wing mower can be used on a tractor with as little as 25 PTO horsepower.

I love mine, and it does a beautiful job mowing. You can't see it in the picture, but there are 3 terraces on this field and I just sit a mower tire on top of the terrace and mow both sides before mowing the rest. Having a flex wing is a great way to go for larger areas. It doesn't scalp uneven ground like a 10 ft straight mower can do.
View attachment 814352
It is very easy and smooth for the tractor PTO to spin up those 3 blade spindles.

I made the mistake of buying a very heavy duty 7 ft single spindle rotary cutter for my 4 series tractors, and only used it one time because it shook the tractor violently on start-up and I could even feel vibration like it was flexing the motor mounts when using it. I was afraid that it would damage the tractor. No more large single spindle mowers for me.
Thats an interesting unit.

Just don't see those up here ......JD dealer did have a twin gear box unit in today but no flex.

Whats a mower like that cost?........7K+++....I have no idea

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
403 Posts
Thats an interesting unit.

Just don't see those up here ......JD dealer did have a twin gear box unit in today but no flex.

Whats a mower like that cost?........7K+++....I have no idea
Dan,

Unfortunately they are over $10K. Lots of parts. Looking on Tractor House, the 2021 models probably went up again. I don't think they have any competition at this time. Several people make a 12 ft flex wing (including John Deere), but since I already have a HX15 15 ft John Deere flex wing I use on my 6 series, I wanted the 10 ft for my 4 series tractors. It was a good choice.

Some used ones are finally starting to show up, so that is another option.

They make them for red, blue, and green tractors, but I had to wait 6 months to get a green one. I pulled ugly red flex wing mowers behind green tractors for years, and decided I wasn't going to do that anymore when it came time to upgrade.
Automotive tire Hood Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts