Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations . . . I need a shop vac for saw dust and general pickup. I'll also use it with a table saw hookup. The one I have now blows sawdust out the exhaust after it's picked up just a little.

Anyone, I need to be on the conservative side, not spending a lot . . . :gizmo:

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I bought one of these on sale at $160 a month ago and fitted all my machines to it. Totally worth it. I would spend the full go at $199 for another if I had to.

There are a ton of people that have modified these base parts to put in better filtration and larger collectors... For a base machine it made a world of difference in my wood shop. There are rarely any dust or chips found anywhere in my shop except when I do dovetails (which I am going to fix) and some spray around the miter saw.

It might be more money than a shop-vac but it is quieter and it will eat some big chips. Everything I do is rough cut so jointer first then thickness planing on 6-10" wide pieces and it eats it all. The only thing I have had issues with is softer wood through the planer. You can make spaghetti like chips and the softness (soft maple) will let the chips get caught in the "screen" on the blower inlet. It's a 2 second fix or just take lighter cuts. Otherwise this thing is the cat's meow for a fairly cheap price.

Dust Collector - Great Deals on Dust Collectors at Harbor Freight

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I alson have a dust collector mine is a Grizzly. It's alot like the one BBarn has. I ran 4" plastic tubing around the shop with 3 drops and the collecter is in a closet. I use flexable hoses to hook up the machines. I have a start buton in the area to turn it off and on . I works well.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
HF sells a dust collector,, if you are looking for one of those.
A dust collector is completely different than a shop vac,,,

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Craigslist or a pawn shop. Someone is always dumping tools for cash.

I have always had a Craftsman Shop Vac and have had good luck with them.

Might want to get one from Sears before they completely circle the drain. If they are closing a Sears or Kmart in your area...you might be able to score a deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check out any local equipment rental stores, I bought a Mi-T-M from United Rentals over 10 years ago and it's been a great asset to my shop.

·
Registered
12,288 Posts
:munch::cowboy:Marlin--have u gotten a shop-vac-yet?

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jim- I finally made a decision and I went with the same one Randy ( http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tools-equipment/90409-need-new-shop-vac-i-need-your-wisdom-make-choice.html ) went with.

I really hated to spend :gizmo: that much but getting one that satisfies requirements and holds-up for years was paramount.

It's a Shop-Vac 5986400 16 Gallon 6.5 Peak HP Stainless Steel Dolly Style Wet/Dry Vacuum. I also bought a Dust Deputy https://www.woodcraft.com/products/oneida-air-systems-diy-dust-deputy-cyclone-only for saw dust collection.

Shop Vac.jpg detail.jpg

The Dust Deputy will need to mount to the side of the vac to keep it from tipping over. I think it should be easy to attach some way . . I'd also like it to be easily removable for when I'm now woodworking.

I received the Deputy this week . . . It works great with the vac I have currently. The NEW vac will be here Tuesday.

Marlin :cowboy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts