Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the size and name or type of hydraulic fitting found in the 1025/2025R’s 120R loader when optioned with a Deere 3rd function kit.

I know they are smaller then the 1/2” typically seem on the Deere tractors .

I am thinking these are either 1/4 or 3/8 pioneer ag fittings but not sure.

Here is a couple pics of what I am taking about .

Green Motor vehicle Bicycle fork Automotive tire Bicycle part

Green Wood Tool Gas Cylinder

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
The quick connect are 1/4 quick connects, but they use a 3/8 SAE O-ring boss female thread to connect to the hose. I get mine from summit-hydraulics, but you can get them from your local hydraulic shop as well. I like Summit b/c they are cheaper than my parker store, they ship quick, and you get a discount if you buy more than a few. Most local hydraulic shops stock the standard 1/4 NPT thread and have to order the 3/8 ORB thread.

Female - John Deere LVA16843 Replacement Female Hydraulic Quick Coupler Plug
Male - 1/4” Ag Hydraulic Quick Connect Male Coupler, 3/8″ SAE (9/16″-18 ORB) Thread ISO 5675
Set - 1/4” Ag Hydraulic Quick Connect Coupler Set, 3/8" SAE (9/16"-18 ORB) Thread ISO 5675

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply .
I received my Hydrosplus kit . The king fab guys that are building my loader mounted brush mower need my connection sizes .

They have my brush cutter built and it’s in testing phase today . Suppose to ship out to me on Wednesday .
Motor vehicle Wood Grass Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I'm curious what displacement motor they end up going with. I built a very similar setup from an old bush hog and I used a 3 cubic inch motor. By the math, that would give me 540 RPMs at 7GPM. A little over 600 RPMs at 8 GPMs, but I wanted to go a little smaller for motor efficiency.

A 3 cubic inch pump will give you about 100 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 PSI based on the calculator, whereas the PTO is about 240 ft/lbs at 3200 RPMs. The rough math is that the engine has 40 ft/lbs of torque at 3200 RPMs, but geared down to the 540 PTO output is about a 6 to 1 multiplication. Not exact, but going to be directionally close.

Mine worked good cutting light stuff, but as you might expect, it slowed way down in heavier grass or brush much larger than your thumb. Mine was a 4' king cutter, but taking the width down some would probably really help on the power.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Did you order to 9.5 H+ kit? 😎

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Are you using the JD 3rd function control and valve too? I'm guessing your going to re-wire the JD 3rd function control buttons, otherwise you'd have to hold a button down the whole time to have it running. I have a concern you might want to check into if you haven't already. The JD 3rd function valve is I believe a rather simplistic magnetic solenoid designed for momentary operation. That valve may not be designed to handle the heat of remaining open constantly as you would need. You might burn the valve actuator out really quick.

This kind of thing really should be a traditional manual SCV plumbed to the power beyond loop.

·
Administrator
22,689 Posts
The front QD's are 1/4" ISO 5675 "AG" style w/poppet, usually rated for 3.5 GPM.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Here's a video of the one I built. Keep in mind that I was building this more to understand hydraulic capability vs. the need for a front mounted brush cutter, so the design is very much quick and dirty. I don't expect that it would take much abuse and a final design would lose the wheel and expose some of the cutter in the front. Also, my KBOH/Chain mounting system is patented, so don't be trying to steal it. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you order to 9.5 H+ kit? 😎
Yes, and also planning to bump my pressure up to 2800. LOL

I am thinking between those two modifications, I will have fixed about all my frustrations I have had over the years with the 1 and 2 series SCUTs that I have owned. Weak 3pt lift capacity, weak loader lift capacity, extremely frustrating issues with ever doing more then one hydraulic function at once.

Not so say if there were a Turbo offered, I wouldn't want one. LOL
I would love to also add a turbo kit someday as well.

If a Turbo were to ever comes available for my 2025R, I would then have the perfect 2025R IMO.
Which then it will be a near perfect SCUT.
I liked the HP of the 2038R that I had, only it was physically as large as a 3 series,
which 3 series offered far more capacity/capability in that size, also a cab could be had in a 3R.
So to have a machine with similar capability of 2038R in nearly the same size compact package as 1025R.
That would be my ultimate goal.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The front QD's are 1/4" ISO 5675 "AG" style w/poppet, usually rated for 3.5 GPM.
So Kenny, should I assume using the H+ 9.5 kit with a net of around 8 gpm that it will not net the 8gpm if using those OEM 1/4" fittings if they are only rated for 3.5GPM ?

Reactions: Tractor Tim

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
So Kenny, should I assume using the H+ 9.5 kit with a net of around 8 gpm that it will not net the 8gpm if using those OEM 1/4" fittings if they are only rated for 3.5GPM ?
It's also not just those fittings. It's everything else between. The 3rd function valve capacity, the 3rd function connectors on the tractor frame, the 1/4" tubing, etc (assuming you're using the OEM 3rd function kit).

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's also not just those fittings. It's everything else between. The 3rd function valve capacity, the 3rd function connectors on the tractor frame, the 1/4" tubing, etc (assuming you're using the OEM 3rd function kit).
Yes it is the Deere 3rd function kit.
Looked like Kenguy's home built brush cutter, was routed through what looked like the same Deere 3rd function setup I have on my loader.

Reactions: Tractor Tim

·
Administrator
22,689 Posts
Yes, like P2P wrote above, you're only going to get so much flow throw the 3rd function, and using it constantly like for the cutter you are looking at heat could be a real concern too.

Remember the flow test videos @Tractor Tim and I did? Look at the one on Kenton's 4R where we tested the 3rd SCV starting at about 3:30.

Reactions: cc1999 and kenguy

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I know you're asking Kenny and I'm sure he'll chime in, but I wanted to share my feedback because I've tested this pretty extensively. Kenny is correct that they are "rated" for 3.5 GPMs, but they can flow much more than that. It will create more heat due to the restriction, but I haven't measured how much. If you're going to run a motor for long periods of time, bigger would be better.

One callout on hydraulic circuits that are powered by gear pumps is that it's a zero sum game. What I mean by that is that the fluid will go somewhere. If the pump is pushing 8 GPMs through that circuit, it's doing one of 3 things:
  1. All flow will go through the circuit normally (what you want :) )
  2. Some flow will partially go through the circuit with the rest going over the pressure relief valve
  3. Pump slows down because there is a restriction that it can't overcome and the power unit doesn't have enough power - effectively, you are now pumping less than 8 GPMs because that's all that can go through the circuit. This one isn't likely unless the PRV is set too high or you don't have one.
  4. Ok, I guess there is a 4th option - something breaks. Hose blows or pump pukes up its insides.
As mentioned, I have not tested temperatures for 3rd function long term use where you're going through 2 sets of 1/4 quick couplers, but I suspect that it's warmer than usual. One other thing I noted when I installed my 3rd function kit is that the 3/8 loader hard line seemed to have a 1/4 or maybe smaller opening in the end. I'm not sure why that is, but it's an additional restriction that can contribute to the heat.

The picture on the left is of the top of the tube closest to the driver. This is what a typical 3/8 ORFS fitting looks like. The other end is a 3/8 SAE O-ring male fitting, but the center is really small. I took the picture back in April when I installed it, but I remember thinking it might be as small as a 1/8. I'm actually building some hard lines as a product for this very reason - and to support non-JD 3rd functions that want hard lines. They should be on the site in late Jan.

Household hardware Gas Circle Wood Metal
Wood Finger Door Thumb Recreation

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I suspect you're going to burn out the OEM electric 3rd function valve holding it constantly on. I highly doubt that actuator was designed for 100% duty cycle. How long it will last before failure is 🤷‍♂️

The setup is pretty cool. I think you'll learn-by-doing what it's capable of. I don't think anything is going to explode by trying. Your worst case scenario is you find out it's all just too restrictive. Installing a manual SCV on the power beyond loop, and using larger hose is a pretty simple solution if you run into that.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
With this particular cutter. My purposes are not intended for long duration uses, like brush cutting an acre or two with it.
Mostly just going to be working it on and off, on and off in less then 1 min durations. Very similar to how I use my Limbsaw.

I have an articulating flail for the long duration work on rough cut area's, then I have a 17 ft batwing finish mower for the really large areas, plus a few machines with belly mowers for everything else. For me this new loader mounted cutter setup, is not for use on long duration mowing projects at all.

I will be doing things with this loader mounted cutter like reaching over the pond banks to hit a few spots the offset flail can't safely reach,
or few spots where I need to reach up under a fence line. I am wanting to cut in a couple little walking trails or ATV/UTV type trails in very back of my property where access can be very limited at times.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know you're asking Kenny and I'm sure he'll chime in, but I wanted to share my feedback because I've tested this pretty extensively. Kenny is correct that they are "rated" for 3.5 GPMs, but they can flow much more than that. It will create more heat due to the restriction, but I haven't measured how much. If you're going to run a motor for long periods of time, bigger would be better.

One callout on hydraulic circuits that are powered by gear pumps is that it's a zero sum game. What I mean by that is that the fluid will go somewhere. If the pump is pushing 8 GPMs through that circuit, it's doing one of 3 things:
  1. All flow will go through the circuit normally (what you want :) )
  2. Some flow will partially go through the circuit with the rest going over the pressure relief valve
  3. Pump slows down because there is a restriction that it can't overcome and the power unit doesn't have enough power - effectively, you are now pumping less than 8 GPMs because that's all that can go through the circuit. This one isn't likely unless the PRV is set too high or you don't have one.
  4. Ok, I guess there is a 4th option - something breaks. Hose blows or pump pukes up its insides.
As mentioned, I have not tested temperatures for 3rd function long term use where you're going through 2 sets of 1/4 quick couplers, but I suspect that it's warmer than usual. One other thing I noted when I installed my 3rd function kit is that the 3/8 loader hard line seemed to have a 1/4 or maybe smaller opening in the end. I'm not sure why that is, but it's an additional restriction that can contribute to the heat.

The picture on the left is of the top of the tube closest to the driver. This is what a typical 3/8 ORFS fitting looks like. The other end is a 3/8 SAE O-ring male fitting, but the center is really small. I took the picture back in April when I installed it, but I remember thinking it might be as small as a 1/8. I'm actually building some hard lines as a product for this very reason - and to support non-JD 3rd functions that want hard lines. They should be on the site in late Jan.

View attachment 821231 View attachment 821232
With your 9.5 kit installed what sort of flow would I likely see at the loader with the restrictions mentioned in the Deere 3rd function kit.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,030 Posts
I have an articulating flail for the long duration work on rough cut area's, then I have a 17 ft batwing finish mower for the really large areas, plus a few machines with belly mowers for everything else.
So what your saying is that if you put all your mowers side by side you could mow the entire country from coast to coast in about, what?... 36 minutes?!? :unsure: :oops::cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm curious what displacement motor they end up going with. I built a very similar setup from an old bush hog and I used a 3 cubic inch motor. By the math, that would give me 540 RPMs at 7GPM. A little over 600 RPMs at 8 GPMs, but I wanted to go a little smaller for motor efficiency.

A 3 cubic inch pump will give you about 100 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 PSI based on the calculator, whereas the PTO is about 240 ft/lbs at 3200 RPMs. The rough math is that the engine has 40 ft/lbs of torque at 3200 RPMs, but geared down to the 540 PTO output is about a 6 to 1 multiplication. Not exact, but going to be directionally close.

Mine worked good cutting light stuff, but as you might expect, it slowed way down in heavier grass or brush much larger than your thumb. Mine was a 4' king cutter, but taking the width down some would probably really help on the power.
I will get more detailed pics posted of it once I get it.
I will see if there is a data plate or some details on the pump and get you some pics of that info.
This new loader cutter will be a 4ft width.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts