Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going through my new to me 62C mower deck this week. I put in a new spindle, replaced a idler pulley, added the 48/54 gearbox pulley , and i'm fixing the guage wheel brackets. I'm looking for tips for the deck flapper. I'd like to be able to mow with it up and maybe half up when it windy, or down when it really windy. Before i start drilling holes in the flap,i was wondering what other guys have done to their flaps? Thanks Kent

·
Registered
710 Posts
Two things I've done, will work with most any newer Deere deck. 1st, there's a small hole in the deck near the front corner of the chute; you can put a bolt in there with two stop nuts, so you can adjust how much of the bolt sticks out. The head keeps the chute guard from dropping all the way down. 2nd, I drilled a hole in the chute guard halfway between front and back and about two inches in from the outside edge, then put a nylon strap with a hook in it. The strap and hook came from a ratchet tie-down that broke. I put the hook in the hole, and tied the strap to one of the handholds on the fender. I can grab the strap to pull up the guard for mowing close on the right side, and I can wrap the strap around my rear lift's lever limiting gizmo to hold the guard all the way up without having to hold the strap.

Just curious, what benefit is there putting the 48/54 pulleys on the 62" deck? Does that increase the blade speed?

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
I’ve done the same as KHodges above only using a piece of paracord.

The deck I have now I have a brand new plastic chute in the barn as I never installed it now that I mow only my own place. Had to have one on when I mowed commercially for liability and insurance reasons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bolted a piece of 3/4 plywood at the corner of the flap where you have you bolt KHodges. I'm thinking the same thing as you guys for holding the flap all the way up. The 48 and 54 have a little bit bigger pulley on their gearbox than the 62 has. Thanks Guys Kent

·
Registered
710 Posts
I bolted a piece of 3/4 plywood at the corner of the flap where you have you bolt KHodges. I'm thinking the same thing as you guys for holding the flap all the way up. The 48 and 54 have a little bit bigger pulley on their gearbox than the 62 has. Thanks Guys Kent
Then if you install a larger diameter pulley on the gearbox and leave the standard pulleys on the sheaves, it increases blade speed.

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree with Kyle get the full time mulch kit and get rid of the plastic flappy thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts